U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM

2,785 posts, read 2,383,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
What?? Give me a break...
How old are you?

Where did you grow up?

Where are you living now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM

103 posts, read 84,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You speak of a vibe you put out that keeps you from getting work and such, so it was a reasonable question.
I'm not "trapped" anywhere. I'm a white man who grew up around black and spanish people and that's the vibe I give off. Not ghetto, etc. I just carry myself differently.

BTW, I'm not trying to be rude to you, either.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,904,725 times
Quote:
I'm not "trapped" anywhere. I'm a white man who grew up around black and spanish people and that's the vibe I give off. Not ghetto, etc. I just carry myself differently.

BTW, I'm not trying to be rude to you, either.
Can you please elaborate on that a little. How do you "carry yourself"?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
How old are you?

Where did you grow up?

Where are you living now?
I grew up in East Flatbush. I live in a much better neighborhood now. I'm in my late 20's.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Can you please elaborate on that a little. How do you "carry yourself"?
Like someone who grew up in black culture. I don't know what else to tell you...

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,276,137 times
Definitely. For a lot of people, race is a culture, and if you don't fit the culture ascribed to you by society based on your skin color, people will give you a lot of grief for it.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Definitely. For a lot of people, race is a culture, and if you don't fit the culture ascribed to you by society based on your skin color, people will give you a lot of grief for it.
You get it.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,276,137 times
Quote:
You get it.
A lot of people in my family are Black and for many years I was the only white person in my family, among my friends, and in my neighborhood. Add blindness to the picture and a lot of people would actually assume that I--wait for it--didn't know I was white, or that I didn't know they were Black. Lol.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,904,725 times
Quote:
Like someone who grew up in black culture. I don't know what else to tell you...
I do know that most job interviewers (especially for office and management positions) look for people who come off as refined, calm and professional.

You say you have the mannerisms of somebody who grew up in "African American culture" but unfortunately,'Black youth culture' is not known to have the traits that I described above, so that could be a reason why your having a very hard time finding employment.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,227,602 times
I understand where you're coming from. I am myself am white and grew up (and live) in Brooklyn.

There are definitely white people in NYC who are comfortable around non whites (specifically Blacks and Latinos) and those who are not. I've met people who grew up in Brooklyn or the Bronx of all places but are so honky it's funny. You'd think they grew up somewhere in the Midwest.

Although, as others have said, you can't go to a job interview and act/talk in the same manner as you would with a group of Black/ Latino friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City