Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM

420 posts, read 823,320 times

Advertisements

Laughable posts in the past few pages. I am white and dress very well (imo!) and can't stop listening to hip hop (big fan of Blu and Fashawn right now). Stop looking for music as a way to confirm your identity; the world is bigger and more complicated than, "I'm white, I dress urban and listen to hip hop, so other white people don't understand me." It's probably because you walk around like a disrespectful clown that people look down on you rather than the notion that you listen to Biggie's "Ready to Die" album on your subway ride home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:10 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,268 times
Wow. Reading this thread reinforces my feelings that so much of the East Coast is so segregated and filled with anger compared to the West... man...

Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Life's not fair. Move on. You can't change everyone's perception about you, so why waste the energy? You probably have things you could work on and get somewhere with.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:50 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
That's funny..because it is the West Coast that is known for rage, looting, and brutality...not the east coast. PS- why would you take the opinions of a handful of losers and sterotype the entire east coast...really? Guess that's how the west coast is.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish. I'm into sneakers, hip-hop, etc.

I'm also the type of white dude who realizes that he's white and I'm comfortable in my skin. I like plenty of "white people" stuff too, basically, lol. I'm very educated and consider myself cultured. I'm just me and I don't walk around like a Vanilla Ice clown.

Now, recently I've gotten the feeling that your average white person feels a certain way toward me. I mean, it's like, I gotta be WHITE to be white. I'm pretty sure I missed out on some job opportunities recently because they could tell I'm not a white dude who grew up in the burbs, or something. I just think a lot of white people are not comfortable with that. The fact that I prefer women of color (due to a cultural vibe, first and formost), have a deep voice, and just don't carry myself as the average white boy seems to threaten them.

Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.

Can anyone else relate?
I never heard any native NYer refer to themselves as white.
Irish, Italian, Jewish, Russian, Greek, POlish ext but never white.

Last edited by NY Jew; 07-09-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I never heard any native NYer refer to themselves as white.
Irish, Italian, Jewish, Russian, Greek, POlish ext but never white.

and yes h
That's because the OP is trolling and his posts are filled with such contradictions.He also says " I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish." How many native NY'ers refer to hispanic people as "Spanish " and how many Spanish people think they are not white ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-09-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No.

It sounds like you have a lot of issues that need to be resolved.Maybe that's the signal you are sending out that prospective employers are picking up on.

Why do you think you know more about his life than he does.

!. Racism exists.

2. Intolerance towards those who are diofferent exists.

3. People who dont behave according to the supposed norms of their race often face bias from those of their race. Were he black you would have agreed with him ife he said he gets problems from other blacks who think he is "acting white". He grew up around Hispanics, I assume, so was cuilturally impacted by his peers. Jeff Wonder Bread from Scarsdale is intimidated by this.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
That's because the OP is a troll whose post are filled with contradictions.He also says " I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish." How many native NY'ers refer to hispanic people as "Spanish " and how many Spanish people think they are not white ?
Yes, and by the way, how problematic is THAT statement ? Talk about objectification. "Only dated non-white women ..." why, exactly ? Few of the non-white women I have met share so much in common.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why do you think you know more about his life than he does.

!. Racism exists.

2. Intolerance towards those who are diofferent exists.

3. People who dont behave according to the supposed norms of their race often face bias from those of their race. Were he black you would have agreed with him ife he said he gets problems from other blacks who think he is "acting white". He grew up around Hispanics, I assume, so was cuilturally impacted by his peers. Jeff Wonder Bread from Scarsdale is intimidated by this.

This reminds me of your preposterous stereotypes about Asians. Why don't you take a rest from commenting and from racism for a bit.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM

188 posts, read 276,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish. I'm into sneakers, hip-hop, etc.

I'm also the type of white dude who realizes that he's white and I'm comfortable in my skin. I like plenty of "white people" stuff too, basically, lol. I'm very educated and consider myself cultured. I'm just me and I don't walk around like a Vanilla Ice clown.

Now, recently I've gotten the feeling that your average white person feels a certain way toward me. I mean, it's like, I gotta be WHITE to be white. I'm pretty sure I missed out on some job opportunities recently because they could tell I'm not a white dude who grew up in the burbs, or something. I just think a lot of white people are not comfortable with that. The fact that I prefer women of color (due to a cultural vibe, first and formost), have a deep voice, and just don't carry myself as the average white boy seems to threaten them.

Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.

Can anyone else relate?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City