Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I don't know of any proud Puerto Rican who will call him/herself white. Let's keep it real...
Me either. I was just giving a breakdown, take it easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM

103 posts, read 166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Me either. I was just giving a breakdown, take it easy.
Oh Nah, we're good

Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
You say you don't get the job cuz your not from the burbs. Well I'm white not from the burbs and have a great career. Maybe these people think you look like a teenager still and it's time to grow up. I don't think most urban people have any issue with interacial relationships.
Why is is the second someone says they don't act "white", the immediate assumption is he is unprofessional, speaks inappropriately, and acts like a teen? Is that how some people think all people of color act?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Why is is the second someone says they don't act "white", the immediate assumption is he is unprofessional, speaks inappropriately, and acts like a teen? Is that how some people think all people of color act?
In short, yes. When you have the majority of a race acting a certain way, people seem to believe everyone else is the same. (Some) people believe all black people live in some type of 'ghetto' or are uneducated and truthfully it's sad.

My take on this topic is, everything comes down to the way you present yourself. Regardless of where or who you were raised around, you are NOT confined to that particular setting.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM

103 posts, read 166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
In short, yes. When you have the majority of a race acting a certain way, people seem to believe everyone else is the same. (Some) people believe all black people live in some type of 'ghetto' or are uneducated and truthfully it's sad.

My take on this topic is, everything comes down to the way you present yourself. Regardless of where or who you were raised around, you are NOT confined to that particular setting.
In other words, "white is right"...

Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM

14 posts, read 43,800 times
As others said, this seems to be a cultural question. Do you fit in with the American non-ethnic white affluent people or not? It doesn't matter if you're like the original poster, or a white guy from a farm in Alabama, or an African-American from the Bronx, or an Italian-American from Staten Island, or a Hispanic from Corona, you just don't fit into that particular (in our city, "Manhattan") milieu and will face certain barriers (it's just more evident with things such as skin color). Obviously, that all changes when you have an Ivy League education or something of the sort, but that just says that you've been inculcated with that culture - and more importantly, admitted into certain social networks. This type of cultural stratification is really, really old hat.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish. I'm into sneakers, hip-hop, etc.

I'm also the type of white dude who realizes that he's white and I'm comfortable in my skin. I like plenty of "white people" stuff too, basically, lol. I'm very educated and consider myself cultured. I'm just me and I don't walk around like a Vanilla Ice clown.

Now, recently I've gotten the feeling that your average white person feels a certain way toward me. I mean, it's like, I gotta be WHITE to be white. I'm pretty sure I missed out on some job opportunities recently because they could tell I'm not a white dude who grew up in the burbs, or something. I just think a lot of white people are not comfortable with that. The fact that I prefer women of color (due to a cultural vibe, first and formost), have a deep voice, and just don't carry myself as the average white boy seems to threaten them.

Lately, I'm very conscious around white people and feel like they are constantly judging me. In turn, I assume they are racist immediatly and become wary of them, and that's not right.

Can anyone else relate?
Can't relate at all since I don't go around announcing that "MY 1/2 WHITE nieces have a BLACK Mother" I just say "These are my nieces" when I introduce them to someone. They look like regular human females to me who have skin, hair, bones, teeth, eyes, ears, mouths, noses, arms, legs, feet, hands, etc. etc. etc

Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
I can relate, not because I am black. But because the same thing happens across the tracks. If you enunciate or fail to converse ebonically with slang, you are regarded as a less than authentic brotha. You have sold out to anglo culture, not to be trusted. People in general, don't seem to like anyone different as some want us to all to ignore ethnicity an just be American patriots, while others want to remain part of a single minded cultural mass.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM

451 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
lol. Dominicans and Ricans are not Spanish.Dominicans are Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are Puerto Ricans.Spanish people are from Spain.

And most Dominicans actually want to be viewed as white whether they are or are not.

Theyre actually part African too?

Growing up in Brooklyn, I knew a lot of diverse people growing up and not all Latinos are created equally, in terms of how they view eachother. Its more about the culture, than your blood. Most Mexicans I know for example dont see Ricans as Hispanic or Latino, but African, because of their culture.

Ricans are generally three different things mixed: Taino, Spanish and African.

Dominicans wanna be viewed as white? Thats news to me.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,047 times
Quote:
I'm just seeing if anyone can relate to something I've noticed:

I'm a white dude who grew up in NYC, mostly around non-white people. I always dated non-white women, mostly spanish.
Can anyone else relate?

???? hummmmmmm so you grew up in a bubble and let the colorful folk in every so often? BtW not Spanish is a nationality not a race there are blacks and whites in the spanish community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City