Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Dominicans want to be viewed as whie

Haha, clueless people. Where do you come up with this crap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
And most Dominicans actually want to be viewed as white whether they are or are not.
No, Dominicians usually don't want to be viewed as White, they go out of their way NOT to be viewed as Black.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post

Like talking with children...

I'm done here.
Cognitive dissonance is a mofo isn't it?
Let's face it people want to believe in their slimy little minds that they are not hypocrites so they will deny...deny...deny to the bitter end.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM

455 posts, read 651,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Hispanic people are often referred to as Spanish people. It's not necessarily accurate, but that's a common figure of speech, since they speak Spanish. Just like people from ex Soviet republics are commonly called Russians even though they are often not just Russian, but Ukrainian, Russian Jewish, Tatar, Belorussian, Armenian etc. I don't understand what the fuss. And I haven't heard any Dominicans that like to be viewed as white. They'd take it as an insult.
They take being called Black or African an insult.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =Lavender= View Post
???? hummmmmmm so you grew up in a bubble and let the colorful folk in every so often? BtW not Spanish is a nationality not a race there are blacks and whites in the spanish community

Have you been to Spain? There are basically white (Mediterranean white/nordic white) (about 90%), and there a few white immigrants (from the UK, Germany, some Eastern European) and there a very small number of people from the African countries bordering the Mediterranean (Moroccan, Algerian).

The solidified ideas here of what behavior is "white" and what is "black" is just preposterous in a city like NYC where 40% of us weren't even born in the US and know otherwise. You people seriously need to travel, or even better live, in other countries for a bit before you make these statements.

And what the heck does "anglo culture" mean, especially in places around and in NYC where the predominant "white" culture is Italian or Jewish.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM

109 posts, read 343,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
I don't know of any proud Puerto Rican who will call him/herself white. Let's keep it real...
In the 2010 United States Census the total of Puerto Ricans that identified as White was 75.8%.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
lol. Dominicans and Ricans are not Spanish.Dominicans are Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are Puerto Ricans.Spanish people are from Spain.

And most Dominicans actually want to be viewed as white whether they are or are not.
Generally am with you on your posts, but I think this is a case of you being unfamiliar with the culture. They refer to themselves as Spanish in NYC. Other people in NYC refer to them as Spanish. Spaniards are from Spain, yes. However, in NYC, it's common for hispanic people to simply call themselves spanish.

Also, I don't get the Dominicans want to be viewed as white thing here. Maybe in other places?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
[quote=caribny;25092421]Point that you need to know. Most middled aged middle class blacks go out of their way to be "refined, calm, and professional", around each other and especially around whites out of a paranoia of being mistaken for the "other" blacks (the stereotypical loud, crude, etc). Middle class blacks like to exclude people they view as inferiors (ghetto blacks). And whites and Asians assume that every black, no matter how calm and refined, is ghetto, until they find out otherwise.

So no 50 y/0 black professional is going to project himself as "ghetto". So this need not be part of any discussion about why legions of black professionals are among the lng term un/under employed.

Yet check out any job fair in NYC and you will see huge numbers of well dressed black professionals desperate for a job. Clearly blacks have a harder time finding and keeping a job, regardless as to how refined and calm they are. This becomes especially acute during recessions when employers can pick and chose and select people from within their own social networks.

Its amazingly stupid when certain people pretend as if race is not a factor. Even our socalled "black" President is so paranoid on the subject that he will not attend the NAACP event, even though he rushesz to every Hispanic event, swearing up and down anout how much he will do for them.[/quote]

This is very very sad indeed. Hopefully in the second term where he does not have to worry about relection, he will attend an NAACP event.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
While I agree that PRs generally don't define themselves as white...they define themselves as simply PR. Dominicans I have found simply don't want to be defined as black...so they want to be anything but that..whether that is simply being Dominican or whatever..just don't call them black regardless if they look like Wesley Snipes!

Regarding the census, PR's define themselves as white at a rate of about 80%, but I believe that is because there really isn't any other appropriate choice for them. The default then is white, as they are a mostly white population, with some African and minor native american influence. I would say the "average" PR is 65% white, 25% black and 10% native american...some are more white, some are more black...but I would say that is an accurate average.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City