Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the statement that is more true:
Yes, the whole world really wants to live in the Big Apple. 30 28.57%
No, there are lots of other places people genuinely prefer to live in. 75 71.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah.. You get what I'm saying. What NYC has in QUALITY and QUANTITY cannot be beat by any other city in the world.

Only a few cities even come close.
For you maybe, but not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For you maybe, but not for everyone.
Exactly. More and bigger is not always better. If everyone wanted to live here, we wouldn't have so many threads about NYers moving out of the city asking where to live.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:57 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
The question should prolly be rephrased, someth like-Does everybody who likes urban living secretly want to live in New York City, if they could?
Even then, my answer is still NO, but at least you'll get a more accurate comparison.
Well, urban living is a big part of it, but still only a part. We're talking about the theater, media, restaurants, museums, fashion, music, dance, parades, sports, ethnic neighborhoods, hotels, diversity, United Nations, historic attractions and on and on.

When you add it all up, New York City just blows other places to smithereens.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
fuhgedaboutit.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:43 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, urban living is a big part of it, but still only a part. We're talking about the theater, media, restaurants, museums, fashion, music, dance, parades, sports, ethnic neighborhoods, hotels, diversity, United Nations, historic attractions and on and on.

When you add it all up, New York City just blows other places to smithereens.
Yea, but it's also dirty, overcrowded, too expensive, hard to get around in a car, etc
Not everyone thinks the pros you mentioned outweigh the cons I mentioned.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM

459 posts, read 723,920 times
How arrogant to have the mindset that everyone, or even a huge majority of people, "secretly" want to live in NYC. Yeah, because we're all country bumpkins and we shore would be fascinated by them skyscrapers! It's a cool city, really, but come on.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM

420 posts, read 823,615 times
Although perhaps it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that everyone wants to live in NYC, the fact is that so many cities and towns often think about how much better they are in comparison to NYC, but NYC never spends time thinking about them...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Although perhaps it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that everyone wants to live in NYC, the fact is that so many cities and towns often think about how much better they are in comparison to NYC, but NYC never spends time thinking about them...
I dont think this is true, from cities i have lived in or visited, I barely remember any of them trying to compare or be like nyc, I think that is only a myth nyc believes. If anything, many cities try to use "Manhattan" as a negative word, like "manhattanization."

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,381 times
What does new york have that chicago los angeles or london don't
Its really opinion and what type of job slash career you wanna get involved with
I know miami folks love miami vegas is the issh cali is always popping and has the most amount of people in america so the thread maker is trying to hype up a city that millions of people already don't live in
Ny is not for everybody dirty subways systems with overcrowding racist police department cold ****ty weathet doesn't fit alot of people it's a great place to visit just like paris or toronto but don't hype yourself bro i love the smell of fresh air the diversity of being able to drive my nice corvette burning up the tropical coast listening to some classic pac or bbq at the beach with big palm trees and beautiful women half naked walking around from all around the world than to visit the mountains or catalina island like i said everybody has an opinion

Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM

25 posts, read 55,756 times
My two older sisters would love to live in NYC. When we go there for visits, we always talk about "wouldn't it be great to live here." They opt not to because they're married with kids and already comfortable in their suburban environments. But they love it. We all unanimously agree that after coming home from NYC, our own city is like...bleh.

It depends on what you like, of course. I have single friends who have no kids who still act like "no way" to living in NYC. A friend of mine moved to Tucson, AZ last year, and that's apparently her kinda place. Not mine.

I like cold weather. Of course, I also "can't take" cold weather. But I like it. I'm dying to wear my sweaters and jackets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City