U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 37,629 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So I wanted to get a little bit of a feel for Flushing, as I'm moving there in about 6 months and I don't want to feel completely out of place. I am from a fairly small town in Arkansas (about 100k population) and I've lived here all my life. I am a white female in my mid-twenties and no, I don't have an accent! Where I live is actually fairly culturally diverse, so that is not an issue for me. So, I have a few questions but feel free to add ANYTHING.

1) How is the job market?
2) Are shops/markets/restaurants within walking distance? Where I'm from, a car is a necessity.
3) Are the people generally friendly? Southern hospitality does not exist in my town.
4) How is the nightlife? I'm not a huge "going out" person but you can really only go out to eat here.

Hm, that is all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,250,755 times
Flushing? How did you come to be moving there?

Job market? In Flushiing???

I hope you speak/read Chinese and/or Korean!

Anyway, try doing a forum search. Many threads and much info already posted and discussed.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 PM

I've been searching, but I keep finding threads about toilets! Plus I wanted more current info since the threads I did manage to find aren't very long and they're from years ago. I work from home but I was curious about local jobs as well. I will be moving in with a friend. And no, I don't know a lick of Chinese or Korean. We have a fairly large Asian population here but they're all Vietnamese.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 PM

451 posts, read 636,725 times
I hope you like Asian culture, food and speak either Chinese, Korean or Viet.

Just a heads up.

Oh, and ****ty baseball teams too.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 PM

Can't say I'm very familiar with Asian culture. I do love Asian food, though. I like just about any kind of ethnic food, I'm not terribly picky. I didn't realize Flushing had that many Asians. I mean, I know NYC is very diverse but I just don't know NYC culture at all. I really don't know ANYTHING about NYC so I feel like I'm going to be a fish out of water.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM

451 posts, read 636,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphy View Post
Can't say I'm very familiar with Asian culture. I do love Asian food, though. I like just about any kind of ethnic food, I'm not terribly picky. I didn't realize Flushing had that many Asians. I mean, I know NYC is very diverse but I just don't know NYC culture at all. I really don't know ANYTHING about NYC so I feel like I'm going to be a fish out of water.

Youre from a small town in Arkansas too? Fish out of water is an understatement.

Hahahahaha. Itll be culture shock for you, for sure. Especially as a white female in her 20s.

You wont need a car by an stretch, as there are many subway stations in and around Flushing/East Elmhurst. The 7 train is right on Main and goes right to 42nd street.

Unless you really love Asian culture, id probably pick somewhere else. You dont have to, but this is entirely for your intents and purposes. You may or may not feel comfortable there, I dont know. Youll feel as if youre in an Asian city.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM

14 posts, read 40,363 times
A young small town Arkansas white female in Flushing? I'm sorry to be blunt, but from the questions you asked, you clearly did not do much research.

Let me start by saying that Flushing is a beautiful neighborhood, perhaps my favorite in New York City (certainly in the outer boroughs). But it's also a Chinatown. It's less iconic and urban than Manhattan's Chinatown, Mando as opposed to Canto, and with a lot of Koreans and some South Asians too. But it's very much a place of Asian ethnic immigrants, for Asian ethnic immigrants. All the culture, all the stores, the vast majority of your neighbors will be Asian. And I'm not talking about "ABC" third-generation Asians such as those in California. I'm talking about first-generation immigrants who generally live the ethnic enclave life, people who speak Chinese and Korean on a constant basis and English only when needed (if ever), eat their own food, wear their own styles.

So it depends. If you've (somehow) grown up around this milieu and have grown accustomed to it, if you're very interested in Asians, or if you just want to throw yourself into an entirely alien environment and see what comes of it, you might do fine. But no matter what, you'll be one of the few white people in Flushing, especially young ones. A chunk of Flushing is elderly white citizens, Jewish and Italian, but they don't pound the pavement much.

As for your other questions, well, it's much the same as in other places of New York. The job market depends on your field, but generally people don't work "locally" (as in, their own neighborhood) here. They take the train somewhere, usually Manhattan, and so on. Besides, most of the jobs in Flushing will be geared towards... Asian ethnic immigrants.

Public transportation in NYC is always great, and a car is a hideous inconvenience. Life in Flushing generally centers around the 7 train, the last stop of which is in Main St. You have many buses which specifically take you through central Flushing to get to this station because of the high density of commuters. The 7 train runs express to Manhattan during rush hour, so your commute won't be too bad.

You'll have plenty of food and stores surrounding you, but remember that almost everything is geared towards Asian immigrants. Which does, in my experience, allow for cheap prices and good-size portions, though the quality is certainly not something an average middle-class American expects.

Will the people be friendly? I can't say they will be extraordinarily polite. You're white and in Flushing, so you are kind of an outsider. No one will be rude, though. Flushing is still NYC, and what you will see is that people here will just rush on their way to an errand or work and will pay you little mind. So you will be ignored (as will everyone else), but no one is going to go out of their way to annoy you.

Nightlife... again, Asian ethnic immigrant. So even if one truly exists in what is a rather conservative (socially as opposed to politically) immigrant community, it's not going to be somewhere you'll be itching to go to unless you fully immerse yourself in the Asian milieu. However, what you have to remember is that in NYC you are by no means confined to your neighborhood. The train runs at all hours of the day and the night. You can conceivably sleep in Flushing and live your life in Manhattan, going to bars and restaurants there. Even Asians in Flushing do this, it's just that you'll find the atmosphere to be dominated by the older Asian immigrants because they are the ones staying in Flushing at all hours of the day and working there.

So Flushing is an Asian immigrant community, an ethnic enclave. I emphasize immigrant. It really depends on how much you like that type of place.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 AM

I guess the idea of commuting is rather foreign to me, because surrounding areas want local employees, it's basically impossible to get a job here working in another town. And it's like a 45 minute to 2 hour drive to the best places, so its kind of a waste of gas to just go there for a night out. As far as culture shock, honestly it wouldn't bother me apart from having people speak in a language I can't understand. Where I live is pretty diverse, but there are no predominant ethnic neighborhoods so that will be interesting to see.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 AM

14 posts, read 40,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphy View Post
I guess the idea of commuting is rather foreign to me, because surrounding areas want local employees, it's basically impossible to get a job here working in another town. And it's like a 45 minute to 2 hour drive to the best places, so its kind of a waste of gas to just go there for a night out. As far as culture shock, honestly it wouldn't bother me apart from having people speak in a language I can't understand. Where I live is pretty diverse, but there are no predominant ethnic neighborhoods so that will be interesting to see.
Alright, so you want to have a different cultural experience. It will be very different from what you see on television, though. An ethnic neighborhood is ultimately absorbed in its own world and is about as interested in white America as you were in Flushing prior to moving to it.

A metrocard is 2.25$ a ride, and a monthly unlimited card is 104$. Commuting and public transportation is very much a part of life in New York City - even schoolchildren do it. So, whether it be bars or jobs, people tend to ignore whether it's "local" or not and take the train to get there.

And we don't really have separate "towns" here, these areas are all urban neighborhoods. Yes, even though Flushing is many miles from Manhattan, every block between the two areas is a dense, inner city block (and Flushing is very dense and very crowded). New York City in general is huge, dense, crowded in a way that is probably unimaginable to someone coming from a small town. You can always browse the streets on Google Maps.

But these things are general NYC living, to some extent general big-city-living. I suggest you simply browse through the forum for that, or do research on your own. I suspect living in a big city will overwhelm you more than living in Flushing specifically, though Flushing is a certainly a curry with a special flavor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City