Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I agree with your third part for both parties, we have too many politicians on both sides that rely on their voter blocks to keep them in office. I wish Republicans would stop running around with the crazy stick so that I wouldn't mind voting for one cause it has been years since I have liked a Republican.
(please no one else respond to this inquiry)

what specifically is your problem with republicans (and I don't mean on a national level (so don't go off on any one in Washington), I mean state wide level and more importantly assembly and senate level + city (including council) level (and Bloomberg is really a democrat so don't mention anything he did) )

?running around with the crazy stick?

the reason I'm asking because governmentaly this is the only option to actually change things for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
(please no one else respond to this inquiry)

what specifically is your problem with republicans (and I don't mean on a national level (so don't go off on any one in Washington), I mean state wide level and more importantly assembly and senate level + city (including council) level (and Bloomberg is really a democrat so don't mention anything he did) )

?running around with the crazy stick?

the reason I'm asking because governmentaly this is the only option to actually change things for the better.
Oh don't ask this question, do you seriously want to have this political conversation? I wont vote for anyone who is against social issues like women's rights, gay rights, and such. I haven't seen many Republicans bring anything worthy to the table...maybe if there were more Republicans like Colon Powell, then maybe they would get my vote. I am tired of watching politics for the sake of winning, I just want to see people who functions for the sake of the community of the people they represent.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It all comes down to politics...do not believe the hype about "family" or "family values." That is a total croc, and has zero to do with the problems created in the Bronx or the solutions to its ills. As soon as we have elected officials, and by that I mean we have officials worth electing, and our constituents are smart enough to vote for the right ones, and with the city's cooperation, THEN can we move forward.

The best way to educate is to have strong moral character, responsibility, respect for oneself and others, all of which starts at the home...so you are correct with that. However you keep pushing this "family values" and "families" as the answer, which it is not. As the Jews should know first hand, all the "family values" and "families" in the world did not save them from the holocaust...or the Spanish Inquisition, or any other such trajedy. Sure they survived, but only because other GOVTS helped them. The same applies today..if goverment/elected officials are not interested in saving the Bronx, all the "family values" in the world will do nothing. Denying that fact, and pretending you are in total control of everything in your life, and you are only poor/uneducated because it is all your own fault is preposterous, offensive, and purposeful misdirection.

If other govts did not assist Jews in one capacity or another throughout history, whether by actively saving them or providing them a country to ecape to, there would be no Jews! Pretending that Jews do things on their own, and they "saved themselves always" is laughable, and complete revisionist history.
and how exactly would you have stopped the Holocaust?
Jewish Family values is why the safest areas in the city are all Jewish. because a Jewish violant criminal is rare.

there is a fundamental difference between crime and and persecution no one ever said family vaules will help you from atomic bomb either.

Yes Jewish values drastically helped them in Europe in normal times.
For example the Czarist goverment was out to mess up Jews in many ways infinitely worse then anything that's currently happening in the the Bronx. And yes strong families was a major reason for successes under difficult conditions.

honestly the Holocaust is 100% irrelevant to this. Your bringing it up is just a strawman argument.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
and how exactly would you have stopped the Holocaust?
Jewish Family values is why the safest areas in the city are all Jewish. because a Jewish violant criminal is rare.

there is a fundamental difference between crime and and persecution no one ever said family vaules will help you from atomic bomb either.

Yes Jewish values drastically helped them in Europe in normal times.
For example the Czarist goverment was out to mess up Jews in many ways infinitely worse then anything that's currently happening in the the Bronx. And yes strong families was a major reason for successes under difficult conditions.

honestly the Holocaust is 100% irrelevant to this. Your bringing it up is just a strawman argument.
Okay, Jews have strong family values....I think we get it, you are happy being Jewish and good for you but I still don't care about religions...

Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
No I bring it up because you allege "family values" are the answer to the Bronx's problems, when in fact government and its policies caused the problems in the first place, and the only way to solve them now. I also bring up the holocaust because you allege Jews do everything on their own, and "family values" is what saves them time and again, when we know that it is govt intervention either by physically saving them from death, or providing a country to escape to time and time again which has allowed Jews to exist today. Without govt intervention over and over again throughout history, there would be no Jews.

I appreciate though that you identify that Jewish violent crime is rare. However, as the collapse of the global system and pilfering of our economy by a greedy elite over the past few years have shown, crime comes in many facets. I contend the crime that steals your retirement funds, your home equity, and eliminates your job is far more dangerous than someone stealing your IPOD. So let's keep that in mind in regards to your assertion on the wonders that are Jewish neighborhoods.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Oh don't ask this question, do you seriously want to have this political conversation? I wont vote for anyone who is against social issues like women's rights, gay rights, and such. I haven't seen many Republicans bring anything worthy to the table...maybe if there were more Republicans like Colon Powell, then maybe they would get my vote. I am tired of watching politics for the sake of winning, I just want to see people who functions for the sake of the community of the people they represent.
So I'm assuming you never voted for Ruben Diaz or Michael Benjamin or any other socially Conservative democrat in the Bronx.

First of all I think we can both agree that position regarding voting based on social issues is unusual in the Bronx. and the minority community in the Bronx is approximately split down the middle this issue (no side has more then 60%). so why do you think the rest of the Bronx especially the other half is so averse to voting Republican in local races.

so let me get this straight
lets assume these are the facts (I know I'm dealing in absolutes but I'm just trying to understand your position)
if there was one candidate who was a social conservative but you were confident would get the Bronx back to the 1950's in terms of lack crime and wealth and the other one who you agree with 100% on all "social issues" but would keep the statuesque in the Bronx.
you would vote against the one who would restore the bronx to it's former glory.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,274 times
Quote:
I won't argue that, clearly Williamsburg had much more defiant people willing to make it work even after a highway cut through their neighborhood, but that tends to be a rare case....but if you look at it differently, those that migrated to the Bronx originally were migrating away from the city, that was once the borough were you moved to get out of the city to a quieter place. When the highways came through, people just migrated north and outward.

Which if I am incorrect with any of this, please help out because my understanding with the Bronx history is very limited and much of it comes from studying the damages that Moses did.
These would be some good places to start:

Amazon.com: South Bronx Rising: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of an American City (9780823221998): Jill Jonnes: Books
Amazon.com: The Bronx (Columbia History of Urban Life) (9780231121156): Evelyn Gonzalez: Books

http://www.amazon.com/Boulevard-Drea...keywords=bronx

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
So I'm assuming you never voted for Ruben Diaz or Michael Benjamin or any other socially Conservative democrat in the Bronx.

First of all I think we can both agree that position regarding voting based on social issues is unusual in the Bronx. and the minority community in the Bronx is approximately split down the middle this issue (no side has more then 60%). so why do you think the rest of the Bronx especially the other half is so averse to voting Republican in local races.

so let me get this straight
lets assume these are the facts (I know I'm dealing in absolutes but I'm just trying to understand your position)
if there was one candidate who was a social conservative but you were confident would get the Bronx back to the 1950's in terms of lack crime and wealth and the other one who you agree with 100% on all "social issues" but would keep the statuesque in the Bronx.
you would vote against the one who would restore the bronx to it's former glory.
Nope, never voted for them, but that actually has nothing to do with them. Up until this spring I lived in Oregon and currently a resident in NJ with plans of moving to Brooklyn, but it won't happen until after the November elections.

Though to answer your question for your scenario.

Yes, I would vote against someone who is against women's rights, gay rights, or believes that the government should tell women if they shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion. Being labeled a social conservative means one is conservative on social issues, which in the long run would do nothing to help move our country forward just backward.

Now if a Republican running for office had no interest in standing in the way of social issues and wanted to do the right thing and help the Bronx by improving it (not returning it because we can never go back in time) to where the drop out rates start to reduce and people living in their community begin to make positive investments in their own community, then yes I would support a Republican, and I have voted for Republicans in the past, but the moment one of them starts to talk about denying others rights, then I stop listening to them because they have nothing to say that will be of interest to me.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Cool, thanks, I will add those to my reading list. I am always fascinated with the history of cities. Know of any good ones on Brooklyn as well? Actually they would make great additions to my Kindle Fire.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
No I bring it up because you allege "family values" are the answer to the Bronx's problems, when in fact government and its policies caused the problems in the first place, and the only way to solve them now. I also bring up the holocaust because you allege Jews do everything on their own, and "family values" is what saves them time and again, when we know that it is govt intervention either by physically saving them from death, or providing a country to escape to time and time again which has allowed Jews to exist today. Without govt intervention over and over again throughout history, there would be no Jews.

I appreciate though that you identify that Jewish violent crime is rare. However, as the collapse of the global system and pilfering of our economy by a greedy elite over the past few years have shown, crime comes in many facets. I contend the crime that steals your retirement funds, your home equity, and eliminates your job is far more dangerous than someone stealing your IPOD. So let's keep that in mind in regards to your assertion on the wonders that are Jewish neighborhoods.
1. I was responding to this statement you wrote
Quote:
Please stop rewriting history..Jews in the early 1900s were just as violent and involved in crime as every other group.
look at the date in the link I posted. Jews weren't even in a position to be involved in any of the white collar crimes you said back then.

2. most Jews today in America don't have anything I was talking about, secular Jews stopped gradualy stopped showing excellence in most of these behaviors from the 50's on down.

3. the types of white collar crimes that your talking about are also uncommon % in Orthodox Jewish communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City