Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

52 posts, read 91,426 times

Advertisements

NYC is city of many different races but you more likely see blacks and hispanics working low paying jobs (security jobs,mcdonalds, delis) while whites seem to have the nice cushion jobs. You walk around midtown and downtown and see a sea white people wearing suits and ties and going to work. Why isn't corporate environment just as diverse such as the city of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM

943 posts, read 1,844,634 times
that is a interesting observation. I now live in the Carson / Tahoe area in NV and its mostly all whites the population and its nice to see more whites working at delis, mcdon's security jobs Years ago there were more whites in NYC doing the above jobs. Since the late 80s early 90's it changed where its mainly minoriites in NYC doing the above jobs.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Because this country is still run by white men

Old 07-10-2012, 06:45 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
I live in the Bergen County, NJ area- right across the GWB, outside of Manhattan ....

I have to laugh at this thread since it seems a bit discriminating to me ... truthfully, I find it unsettling- it's with great passionate I can't stand ignorance, or racism.

I never take much notice to the ratio and statistics on color, ethnic background, or anything else that separates one from another~~ for me it's about being a human being.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
I dunno where the OP works, but every nyc corporate environment I worked in (software development, web development, online publishing) was very diverse and not close to being exclusively white.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

52 posts, read 91,426 times
why is it racist to point at something that you can see with your own eyes.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,710 times
Because as a percentage, White people are more wealthy than other races and ethnicities. I also see more Asians (which includes Indians) than Blacks and hispanics in these money making positions. Again they come from much more wealth and can go to good colleges and compete for these jobs. With Affirmative Action and all that Financial Aids you can get out there, you will think that more Minorities will get some good jobs. But it seems like that is slowly happening. I am sure you see more Blacks and Hispanics in these positions than you see them 10, 20 or more years ago.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,256 times
There are quite a few doctors, nurses, and staff at the hospital I am employed at that are very educated and Afro-American. As a matter of fact, if I sit here, and am forced to think about it thanks to this thread, I can say, the hospital isn't so much caucasian as much as it is everything else and honestly, that doesn't bother me at all- even though I am caucasian.

I live in a very diverse area- it's the melting pot of the tri-state, and I love that !! I wouldn't want it any other way ...

People shouldn't use their color, or background as an excuse if they're not getting ahead. You get as far as you dream, push, and strive for ! And, that goes for everyone in this country- if you dream it, you get achieve it.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
I agree that blacks and hispanics are underrepresented in the business world but I think you're exaggerating this somewhat. But I do agree and here are my reasons;

+ Blacks and Hispanics within New York City have a very low High School graduation rate. The New York City Black graduation rate is about 60.4% and the Hispanic graduation rate within the city is at 59%. And for people with common-sense, if you don't have a High School Diploma then you aint gettin any kind of Office Job! Here's my source for the percentages:
Graduation Rate Increases But Students Still Not College Ready, Data Show - DNAinfo.com New York

+ A lot of the Black middle class have also migrated from New York City into the suburbs and other regions of the country. I'm Black and I live in the suburbs of NYC and both of my parents work in fairly diverse office environments. Keep in mind that the suburbs nowadays also have major job centers too and many people in suburbs also work in suburbs: many don't commute so this could be why you're seeing less minority office workers in the city.

+ Most Black people seem to choose careers that aren't business-related. When I was in Community College a few years ago (which was very diverse), most Black people chose careers like Nursing, Music, Fashion Design, Psychology, HVAC and other fields that aren't business-related [nothin wrong w/these fields]. Not too many black people chose fields like Business Administration, Accounting, Finance and Marketing. This could be b/c a lot of Black people believe that they won't be successful in the business world due to their race (but I think your success is much more dependant on other factors).

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-10-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandel19 View Post
NYC is city of many different races but you more likely see blacks and hispanics working low paying jobs (security jobs,mcdonalds, delis) while whites seem to have the nice cushion jobs. You walk around midtown and downtown and see a sea white people wearing suits and ties and going to work. Why isn't corporate environment just as diverse such as the city of New York.
The corporate space in nyc is very externally waspy and locally kosher. Local Irish and Italians as well as other native whites are not part of the nyc corporate space. Many local natives either work in civil, health, skilled or low wage jobs. If any minority or immigrant are working in corporate space are most likely working in accounts payable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City