Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM

40 posts, read 216,750 times

Advertisements

I am going to be a junior in college this spring and I do know what career path to take. However, I am trying to figure out the best place I should start out with criminal justice. The kinds of work I am looking at has to do with special positions like investigations, drug task force, or anything a special agent for a state or federal government branch can do. However most of the special positions require at least 3 years of professional experience. I know of some places where I could start such as Customs and Border Protection, police department, or sherriff's department. Anywhere else I could also start out after college besides those agencies for some experience? I know the military is also good, but I will say that I do not have any interest in joining. I'd like to stay a civilian and that isn't intended to offend anyone. I think anyone who serves is doing something great, but I don't believe that the military is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,569,729 times
batdavid90, you've got the right mindset already. Career paths, in my humble opinion, should be broad/general in your 20's. But - around, say, age 27-30, it behooves you to investigate micro-paths that ultimately lead to a more "niche" job in a field you already like/love. This can help alot with job security. It can also help you stand out from others who might be your competition down the road, i.e., those who are complacent for years and end up looking like a dime-a-dozen on their resume.

So, the more "niche" of a path you can commit to, the better. This is especially true if you find you love doing a niche job most people "hate" doing. This can often translate into years of job security as you thank your lucky stars. The easiest advice I can give you is to get chummy with the co-workers or superiors who hold positions that pique your curiosity. I'm not saying you should be a wolf and eat them or "take over", I'm saying network with them, learn from them, get inspired, and so on.

Last edited by grimace8; 07-11-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City