Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 01:19 PM

70 posts, read 295,585 times

Advertisements

Alright, right now I'm in northern, NY and I'm trying to plan a trip for tommorow (the thought just recently crossed my mind) down to NYC. I'm going to be taking a bus, so I'm pretty much at the mercy of the bus station, but NYC has subways right?

I'm trying to get some shopping done (Young african american male college student that likes to dress city slick), as well as get a well-needed haircut. Does anyone have recommendations as to where I can go?

The NYC terminal's address:

20 State St
New York, NY 10004

Basically, I have a general reason for heading to the city, but I have no idea what I can do specifically, but more importantly no idea WHERE to go to do some shopping and get a haircut, and how to get there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:26 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
What are you referring to, the NY City terminal address? What type of shopping? Without knowledge of public transit, barbershops, shopping needs and areas and coming from upstate (how far upstate?)you're setting yourself up for a very stresful day if no one answers your post. How will you get around?

Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM

70 posts, read 295,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
What are you referring to, the NY City terminal address? What type of shopping? Without knowledge of public transit, barbershops, shopping needs and areas and coming from upstate (how far upstate?)you're setting yourself up for a very stresful day if no one answers your post. How will you get around?
I'm coming from the adirondacks/schenectady area.

Yea, that's the address the bus will stop at.

I'm not going to move forward with the trip if I don't get any advice. I want to avoid that overly stressful day.

Shopping for clothes (jeans, t-shirts, button ups, you know..).

If I can't walk somewhere, or get there by subway, then I can't get there (unless there is some other form of transportation that I don't know about). I'm pretty sure a cab might be too expensive.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM

479 posts, read 879,451 times
You'll be dropped off near Battery Park. Take the R train that is a block away to Cortlandt St. and go to Century 21 that is across the street from Ground Zero.After that take the R train and head to Midtown around 34th St./Herald Sq. where Macy's is at, floor 1 1/2 is where the urban wear is. Across Sixth Ave is a Dr.Jays I believe.

I suppose after that you can hop on the B/D line from Herald Sq. and go up to 125th St. and find a barber, I'm not familiar with Uptown barbers so I don't have any recommendations but I'm sure there are a lot.

One thing you want to do is buy an unlimited single day $7 metrocard since you will be taking the train alot.Also don't be afraid to ask for directions since carrying a map is a dead giveaway that you're not from the city and you'll want to blend in.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Or just go to HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC) .

Old 04-26-2008, 11:12 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
the thread started last september for a day trip....you didnt have to respond

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: