U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM

63 posts, read 137,884 times
Default Quality of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysse157 View Post
Well, for one thing, the make-up of this city seems to be changing, though that's not exactly a new phenomenon. Just seems like more and more people are moving here from other parts of the US, while people from the city are moving out. I don't have any stats to back this up. Just an observation based on conversations with family and friends and reading various message boards.

Also, there's a ton of new development going on all over the city. Feels like you can't go more than a block without coming across a construction site. The vast majority of new buildings in Manhattan and the trendy areas of Brooklyn and Queens are very expensive and out-of-reach for many people. The trend in southern Brooklyn seems to be to knock down single-family homes and replace them with those hideous Fedders buildings. They all have "luxury condos" signs out in front because I guess installing stainless steel appliances makes a condo luxurious. Or they use slogans like "Manhattan-style living in Brooklyn". I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

And then, I've come across discussions here and elsewhere about whether NY has lost its uniqueness and soul. The idea is that NY is becoming suburbanized and is starting to resemble every other town in America. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it does seem like chains are popping up everywhere.

Is it better or worse than before? That's not an easy question to answer. I'm actually not opposed to the chains coming in. When I lived in Murray Hill a year ago, I willingly walked 20 blocks to Union Square every weekend so that I could shop at Whole Foods and avoid my local supermarket, which I found to be dirty, overpriced, and lacking in quality and selection. I'm also not totally opposed to development. But I do question whether there's too much happening too quickly. We have to build build build so we can grow grow grow. But has anyone give any serious thought to whether the city's infrastructure can handle the expected increase in population?

Personally, I'm done with the dirt, noise and overcrowding. There are things that I'll always love about this city. But I'm at a point where quality of life has become more important to me than being able to get a slice of pizza at 2am. It's all a matter of preference, though. There is no perfect place. You'll have to make trade-offs anywhere you live. It's up to each individual to figure out what works best for him or her.
I know what you mean about the quality of life. I moved out to experience a higher quality. and I am very pleased with the amount space in my current house. and that I have a dishwasher and a washer and dryer on the premises. and outdoor space. and a pool and garden and sunlight. and smooth walls and new floors. And the supermarkets are clean, large, well-stocked. So quality of life is better, but it is not making me happy.

I miss the culture and character of the big city. So I guess I need to compromise on all the other stuff. At least one more time. and if this time I feel that the dirt, noise, overcrowding, etc. are not worth it, I will choose a city that is BETTER than ORLANDO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-04-2007, 12:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 3,668,860 times
I also thought Florida was experiencing some of the mortgage/real estate crisis that's hit most of the nation?

Thanks artdesignlou--and best of luck. Staying with friends/family in NYC and taking your time to look around before you buy sounds like an excellent move.

Unread 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM

1,526 posts, read 3,668,860 times
Quality of life is a totally subjective term. One's wo(man's) high quality of life is another's more roomy piece of property in a still relatively bland, culturally challenged burb.

Unread 10-04-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Florida RE crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I also thought Florida was experiencing some of the mortgage/real estate crisis that's hit most of the nation?

Thanks artdesignlou--and best of luck. Staying with friends/family in NYC and taking your time to look around before you buy sounds like an excellent move.
yes, florida is definitely experiencing a RE crisis. which is why I'll just break even and hopefully at least walk away with my down payment. But I'm not willing to hang around here for another 5 years or whatever it takes before things turn around.

Unread 10-04-2007, 01:38 PM

89 posts, read 143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdesignlou View Post
I know what you mean about the quality of life. I moved out to experience a higher quality. and I am very pleased with the amount space in my current house. and that I have a dishwasher and a washer and dryer on the premises. and outdoor space. and a pool and garden and sunlight. and smooth walls and new floors. And the supermarkets are clean, large, well-stocked. So quality of life is better, but it is not making me happy.

I miss the culture and character of the big city. So I guess I need to compromise on all the other stuff. At least one more time. and if this time I feel that the dirt, noise, overcrowding, etc. are not worth it, I will choose a city that is BETTER than ORLANDO.
By all means, give it another try. You might be happy this time around! I guess I just found your situation interesting because I left and came back after 7 years because I thought I missed the city, only to find myself miserable since all the things that bothered me before were still present. I truly hope your experience is different than mine and that you find yourself happy to be back. Best of luck!

Unread 10-04-2007, 03:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,642,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysse157 View Post
Let's not forget that real estate is a gamble. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to kick yourself if you sold property in the 80s/90s, only to have the values skyrocket today. But there's a flip side to that too. Some of the brownstones in Bed-Stuy and Bushwick are now going for $1MM+. IF there's another crimewave - and the latest stats do support an increase in crime in North Brooklyn - people will be kicking themselves when the value of their homes plummet. I'm not saying that's going to happen. Just saying that anyone buying in a "gentrifying" area needs to do a risk assessment and weigh the pros and cons.
Real Estate is absolutely a gamble. But nothing risked, nothing gained. There's always risk associated with ANY investment, period. I'd like to just stuff my money under my mattress--but--that would get nowhere.

I think if you are too cautious, you lose out. But, each person is responsible for his/her own diligence and research on where their dollars are going to go. Research the 'hoods--if you aren't comfortable, don't take the leap.

Unread 10-05-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Back After 7 Years

Alysse, I didn't realize you had left and come back. I DEFINITELY worry about that happening to me. I mean coming back to realize it's driving me crazy again. Real estate wasn't the only thing that bugged me. That's what's so confusing and why I came on this site for some insight.

I'm curious about where you are considering going? Where were you living for 7 years? I hope that's not too many questions. I just find everyone's experience very helpful. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City