Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 13,655 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to NY in about a month to go back to school at Columbia. I found out I will only really need to be on campus 1-2 days a week, so I now have more options are to where to live. The internship I have is off of the 2,3,J, and Z on the lower end of Manhattan, which I will be at roughly 3-4 days a week. I was originally considering living in Inwood (because of my budget, no more than $1450 a month) and having a dog (need space, parks, etc.) but am now thinking I might want to be closer to my friends (who almost all live in Brooklyn). The commute from Inwood to my internship is a little less than an hour, and from some neighborhoods in Brooklyn I've been looking at look like they could be around 30 minutes.

I'm in my early to mid twenties (female), moving with my partner who is in his early to mid 20's. We like to go out to lots of different kinds of restaurants, go to small music shows, walk our dog in parks, etc. Not crazy into going out dancing or clubs or anything. Good bars with good beer are nice. Usually in bed at a pretty reasonable hour so avoiding tons of noise and activity would be nice but not neccesary.

We've been looking in Ditmas Park, Prospect Park South, Lefferts Gardens, Kensington, Park Slope South, etc. Anybody have any opinions on these neighborhoods based on our lifsetyle? What are these neighborhoods like in general? I walk my dog by myself at night often, so walking around in a neighborhood at night and feeling OK is important to me.

Any other neighborhood suggestions or input on the Manhattan vs. Brooklyn debate would be great. I don't mind a long commute, but would rather it be simple and painless (not a million transfers, easy to get home at night, etc.)

Ask me any questions if I forgot anything! I'm really excited to move, so any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM

9 posts, read 13,756 times
I cant speak for the other areas, but I recently moved to the Kensington area of BK from JC, and based on your criteria I think you may like the area. I myself find it to be a bit boring and dry...but its all subjective...the area is quite safe, desolate after about 8:30pm maybe earlier except for maybe the Bodega patroms, has very few restaurants-the ones in the area on Church Ave. mostly Halal, and other generic versions of Chinese and Mexican. The neighborhood is mostly comprised of Bangladeshi Muslims, Orthodox Jews, and Mexicans who as I can tell pretty much stay to themselves. The F/G train is located almost at every corner so you pretty much see everyone (including myself ) stumbling up the subway stairs on the weekend because I typically party elsewhere. Im located near Greenwood Cemetery and Prospect Park which are perfect to walk the dog, bike, jog whatever you like. Overall the area is nice, cute, and quaint. Good Luck

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
You might also want to consider Glendale which is on the border between Brooklyn & Queens (technically it is in Queens). It is a relatively quiet neighborhood with a few restaurants and bars (as it used to be considered a German area).

Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM

197 posts, read 892,322 times
Since you don't mind a long commute maybe look into Bay Ridge. It has restaurants, and bars is one of the safer neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,313,251 times
You're looking in the right spots, esp the South Slope. I'd add Windsor Terrace and Prospect Heights to your search. Both more affordable but adjacent to Park Slope, and the park for your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City