Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM

223 posts, read 616,019 times

Advertisements

I always give a swipe when asked. My mom taught us kids to always take gas/transit cost out of our paycheck first thing but there were times when I was younger when that was not easy to do. Especially when I had to wait 2 - 3 weeks for that first paycheck!

Mom also used to say it's better just to give what you can when asked because by giving, you may prevent something worse from happening to someone else. People don't always think clearly when they're desperate.

But really, I think it's just good karma. Weird circumstances can happen and it could be me needing a swipe one day. Or maybe I'm just a suckah .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
I always give a swipe when asked. My mom taught us kids to always take gas/transit cost out of our paycheck first thing but there were times when I was younger when that was not easy to do. Especially when I had to wait 2 - 3 weeks for that first paycheck! I think there may have been a job I had to turn down because I knew I wouldn't have enough money for transportation + lunch til payday.

Mom also used to say it's better just to give what you can when asked because by giving, you may prevent something worse from happening to someone else. People don't always think clearly when they're desperate.

But really, I think it's just good karma. Weird circumstances can happen and it could be me needing a swipe one day. Or maybe I'm just a suckah .

Be real careful if you do at the very least. Don't carry the Metrocard in your wallet. Would not be wise to take out your wallet to get the card from there.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
I was nice enough to give a swipe to individuals in touristy areas who appeared lost without knowing their way around and appear honest on some occasions. But individuals you see asking all the time, individuals in groups who have suspect mannerisms, individuals who moments ago you've seen without groceries then moments later with bags asking for a swipe, individuals leaning on the turnstiles asking every one coming and going...... no....

Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
At the sutphin jamaica E/J station there are always a group of dudes standing by turnstiles. What exactly are they doing? I think they sell swipes but I think its funny how many times Ive seen them there.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
OP: next time someone uses the exact words 'can i get a swipe?' start singing jay-z's can i get a whut whut and keep walking. just to make them laugh and leave you the h--- alone.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Damn ! They doing that now. I don't like being harrassed and this is just one more thing

Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,198 times
I used to give people swipes if they asked. But I heard you could get fined or something if they catch you doing that so I stopped.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 PM

79 posts, read 434,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
At the sutphin jamaica E/J station there are always a group of dudes standing by turnstiles. What exactly are they doing? I think they sell swipes but I think its funny how many times Ive seen them there.
Yeah, honestly I don't like those guys. It's a good spot for them because of the new air train and people flying in from jfk who obviously don't have metrocards. But alot of times I see them with foreign people or people who are clearly disoriented and don't understand how public transportation in new york works and they are extremely aggressive. I've seen them grab luggage from tourists to help them get it through the turnstyles and grab tourist's metrocards to swipe it for them, thigns liek that. I mean even if they are helping, they take liberties with people's personal space and properties and it pisses me off.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
I always say yes. And, I always say, 'glad to do it, doesn't cost me a dime.'

Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I used to give people swipes if they asked. But I heard you could get fined or something if they catch you doing that so I stopped.
I don't think that is so. I was chatting with a cop the other day about this very thing and he didn't say a thing about it being illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City