Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM

59 posts, read 233,883 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad from Ohio w/over 10 years of work exp. in the areas of banking/finance, marketing/sales, and healthcare. I currently live in FL. looking to relocate for a true career, making some real money in any of the above fields, please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Woman36 View Post
I'm a recent college grad from Ohio w/over 10 years of work exp. in the areas of banking/finance, marketing/sales, and healthcare. I currently live in FL. looking to relocate for a true career, making some real money in any of the above fields, please help!
Move to NYC and become a paramedic

Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
What are you BEST at? It really sounds like you've been going from one career to another. Choose ONE and concentrate on it.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Move to NYC and become a paramedic
LMAO, how's the pay??

Old 10-07-2007, 08:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
no brainer RN
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,243 times
Quote:
LMAO, how's the pay??
Paramedics start out at $37k(after 5 years around $50k, not including overtime), working for the FDNY. Hospital-based Paramedics make about $60k and higher. Those figures are for 911 EMS, not for transportation EMS who make less. Also, to work for hospital-based units, in most cases it's who knows you.

If you don't know, you first have to start out as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic(which make way less and are just that in name, basic) before you move up to Paramedic. Paramedic school is as long as going to school to become an RN.

Both are in high demand here, but being an EMT is way more dangerous(911 EMS). RN pays more and you don't have to worry about being injured and not knowing what's behind the door.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,332 times
I've heard from some posters here that Florida isn't a great place to find well paying work, but whether NYC is the city for you will depend a lot on...well...you. How much can you afford to spend on rent, just for starters? NYC is very expensive!

You'd have to do some research online to see what the job opportunities are like with your current level of experience, and whether they would pay enough for you to afford the rent etc here. If you need further education and/or training, or more info to help you decide on what field you wish to pursue, NYU offers a lot of continuing ed career workshops and courses, and certificate and degree programs--do a search under NYU, SCPS for more info. I think they offer some courses online as well.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I've heard from some posters here that Florida isn't a great place to find well paying work, but whether NYC is the city for you will depend a lot on...well...you. How much can you afford to spend on rent, just for starters? NYC is very expensive!

You'd have to do some research online to see what the job opportunities are like with your current level of experience, and whether they would pay enough for you to afford the rent etc here. If you need further education and/or training, or more info to help you decide on what field you wish to pursue, NYU offers a lot of continuing ed career workshops and courses, and certificate and degree programs--do a search under NYU, SCPS for more info. I think they offer some courses online as well.
Florida was a shocker to me, the cost of housing is out the roof w/very low wage (I moved there from Ohio). Anyway, I just graduated from college a year ago and I probably wont be going back anytime soon. Most people think early 20's when you say "recent grad" that's not the case with me I'm 30ish. I got years of experience first and then went to college (backwards but true), so i have the exp. and the education how hard will it be to find a decent job with the opportunity for advancement and what's a livable salary for ny?
P.S- I have a BBA and 10+ years of experience

Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM

32 posts, read 93,506 times
I say try the Human Resource positions.. it seems like you would do well since you have health care and financing in your background. Its a growing position and your income can go higher each time. Or you can try for a Brokerage firms, financial analyst, financial planner, or even an Accountant. My friend became an accountant and got a job in one of the big accounting firms in the City and is now a Audit Manager. He is making great money and bought his first home at just 26. So hopefully this helps.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:53 PM

45 posts, read 267,395 times
Exclamation Danger Will Robinson Danger

Quote:

It sounds like you need to narrow your focus a bit. The areas you mention are fairly wide apart.

I'll presume from your post that your main motivation at this time is compensation. You also mentioned your recent graduation but not your major area of study.

May I recommend to you three resources that may lead you to a more fruitful search

1) "Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI)" - There is a book out there titled "Do what you are" that you can use in tendem with the results of this exam.

2) Read up on "Maslow's hierarchy of needs"

3) And finally if you have a test site near you, try the "Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation"

Money is a very great tool, but it makes a terrible master. In the long run, you will be much more successful and content in your life if you choose a career that is well suited to your likes and capabilities.

The work world is in the midst of some drastic changes. The added pressures being placed on the workforce by world economies means that work is going to be much more cut throat in the future. If you're not loving what you do, you could be introducing yourself to a self inflicted world of hurt.

I wish you well in your search. I hope you'll find a compatible career in which to make your "fortune". Happy hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: