Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I agree...that post was a little over the top.
The government isn't looking to kill us. I don't own guns to protect myself from Uncle Sam. I own them to protect myself from extremists like yourself.

As pro-gun as I am, I never bought into the whole government is out to get us idea.

Relax yourself over there.
That's the whole point as to why the amendment was created. They knew at some point, the government would get too big and there was a need for normal citizens to protect themselves. Back when they penned it into law, most people could have the same weapons as everyone else. Now obviously we have nukes and mustard gas and whatnot, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about AR's, something that can be used to protect ourselves.

This just shows how the Constitution has become "extremist". Reread what the founding fathers say about baring arms and you will understand. We are very close to losing guns given the UN, so please, understand it's not some extremist rant. They want to strip your rights in the name of safety, but the only ones protect will be the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
That's the whole point as to why the amendment was created. They knew at some point, the government would get too big and there was a need for normal citizens to protect themselves.
WHAT???
Protect themselves from whom?
The government?
You don't really believe that now do you?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
WHAT???
Protect themselves from whom?
The government?
You don't really believe that now do you?

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]James Madison: Americans have "the advantage of being armed" -- unlike the citizens of other countries where "the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

* Patrick Henry: "The great objective is that every man be armed. . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun.

George Mason: "To disarm the people [is] the best and most effectual way to enslave them.[SIZE=+1]"

[/SIZE]It's a very real possibility that a government can slowly strip away rights until there is nothing left. How do you think governments across the world take away guns? They already hate guns, so they will push to remove ARs. Then violence will still be there, so they have to remove more. Then they say that guns in general are to blame, so we should get rid of them. Poof, they are gone, but violence is still there. Like they said, governments are afraid of an armed citizen, only if they have the same type of guns. What's the point of just handguns. I'm not saying walking around with AK's, I mean in someone's house to use on the range or for defense.[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,808,514 times
I think your tin foil hat is on too tight.
Loosen it up a bit.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
I agree...that post was a little over the top.
The government isn't looking to kill us. I don't own guns to protect myself from Uncle Sam. I own them to protect myself from extremists like yourself.

As pro-gun as I am, I never bought into the whole government is out to get us idea.

Relax yourself over there.
Umm, that is what I call over the top, you are afraid of the guy who doesn't own a gun and is fine with people owning guns? Makes you sounds a bit extreme if you ask me...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
So high capacity magazines should be legal "just because??" That isn't a good reason...seriously, are they used for something other than shooting people? Is there a form of hunting they are good for or something, if I use his reasoning, I should start saying "just because" "taking away freedom" and that just ends all debate I guess.

But that still doesn't answer my question, what is the point of owning a high capacity magazine? There are gun owners here, one of you must have a real answer for me...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
So anything that has no direct purpose to you should be illegal to the average citizen if it has the potential to kill?

Why high capacity magazines? because they're FUN! that's why....ever go shooting?
When I owned my Mini-14 all I ever loaded was 30rnd mags...because they were fun and no one likes reloading magazines.
The reason I never opted for the 100 round drum....they're NOTORIOUS for jamming/mis-feeding or just generally not feeding correctly due to all of the mass and friction required to push the shells around and round.

Hey, people run from cops with cars all the time, endangering the public, so we should limit gas tanks to 3 gallons...after all, unless you're taking a trip you can make it from gas station to gas station...you could use alternate transportation for long trips...you don't NEED to drive.

Let's also remember that this is a HUGE media event and shocking to the nation/world for ONE reason....because it's UNCOMMON.

Here's a list you might find interesting....perhaps you should ban all of the higher casualty causing items first!

HMMM< the natural environment is twice as likely to kill you than a gun!

Here's some more interesting tidbits:

* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11][/SIZE]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[12][/SIZE]

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16][/SIZE]

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18][/SIZE]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19][/SIZE]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20][/SIZE]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21][/SIZE]

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[/SIZE]
• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"[/SIZE]
• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22][/SIZE]

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 07-22-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
So anything that has no direct purpose to you should be illegal to the average citizen if it has the potential to kill?

Why high capacity magazines? because they're FUN! that's why....ever go shooting?
When I owned my Mini-14 all I ever loaded was 30rnd mags...because they were fun and no one likes reloading magazines.

Hey, people run from cops with cars all the time, endangering the public, so we should limit gas tanks to 3 gallons...after all, unless you're taking a trip you can make it from gas station to gas station...you could use alternate transportation for long trips...you don't NEED to drive.

Let's also remember that this is a HUGE media event and shocking to the nation/world for ONE reason....because it's UNCOMMON.

Here's a list you might find interesting....perhaps you should ban all of the higher casualty causing items first!

Here's some more interesting tidbits:

[SIZE=3]* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[12][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"[22][/SIZE]

Because it is fun isn't a good answer either, rocket launchers are fun too, driving as fast as you can is fun too, but those are illegal, so where do you draw the line of fun and dangerous? I personally draw that line much further back than you do.

Because it is fun is like saying "just because." Do they serve a purpose? If no, then there is no need for time. And yes I have shot a gun before and if you want to talk fun, loading and shooting an old musket is fun.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because it is fun isn't a good answer either, rocket launchers are fun too, driving as fast as you can is fun too, but those are illegal, so where do you draw the line of fun and dangerous? I personally draw that line much further back than you do.

Because it is fun is like saying "just because." Do they serve a purpose? If no, then there is no need for time. And yes I have shot a gun before and if you want to talk fun, loading and shooting an old musket is fun.
What's the point to cigarettes? What's the point of playing sports? What's the point of skateboarding? What's the point of UFC? All dangerous, all legal. Each person is different. You don't think it serves a purpose, but there is someone that is enjoying shooting a gun safely. That has them inside their home, not affecting anything. It's their damn house, let them keep their own guns.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
Owning a rocket launcher is NOT illegal...owning the ammo/firing it IS...Owning a fast car is NOT illegal..driving fast is not illegal, driving TOO fast on PUBLIC roads IS, Owning a gun or high capacity mag is NOT illegal, shooting someone IS unless in self defense.
Which of the above mentioned activities had a purpose beyond entertainment? Shooting the gun to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City