Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Sunday Afternoon going to CCNY (Aaron Davis Hall for SWEET CHARITY...Latino adaptation.) This is 134th and Convent Ave (near Amsterdam.)

Luckily the M101 bus is very convenient, almost door-to door.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some good food up there after the show. Ethnic a plus, cheap a bigger plus.
But good food of any kind will fill the bill.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM

431 posts, read 659,674 times
red rooster on 125th and lenox is good and chez lucienne next door.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Piccante on 140th and Broadway is Mexican, they have burritos that are larger than most people's hands. We fed six people for $43. Truffa on the opposite side of Broadway is an Italian place for pastas and the like.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:35 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
A Food & Drink Tour Of Harlem: Gothamist

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Red Rooster: Vastly over-rated. Think: "emperor's new clothes" taken to the level of an art form, as only our culture can do it. Really expensive for what you get. Did I mention that the prices do not reflect the quality, service, or portions.

Lucienne: Simply dreadful the two times we went. Both food and service. I seem to recall, not as expensive as Red Rooster.

In that area, the Harlem Social was good. A drawback is the restaurant proper ambience, which is very very young, very very loud, and basically night-clubbish. You can sit outside, we did, it was quite pleasant. This is actually one of the better restaurants, or was when we were last there two weeks ago. The ambience may vary given the evening ...? So you could check it out and decide whether to sit in or out.

Lido: Good but very, very over-priced for what you get. The food is good but simply not THAT good. The prices are rather shocking once you experience it. You can check the menu on line.

Harlem Tavern: "Eh" food. Serious service problems.

Mobay: Food is better, or was, service terrible. Perhaps they have figured it out.

Melba's: Awful service, "eh" food. We have literally walked out - several times - after waiting to be seated as the bartender babbled with friends and the hostess.

There are a few other places we have not tried, 5 & Diamond, etc. Zoma ? I heard very mixed things.

There is an Italian place on Lenox below 125th, we did not like it. It is an odd place, not quite there, hovering at mediocre and sometimes moving to terrible.

I heard that Billie's Black was outstanding, soul food. It is expensive. I did hear that it was very good though, and from several people.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM

431 posts, read 659,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Red Rooster: Vastly over-rated. Think: "emperor's new clothes" taken to the level of an art form, as only our culture can do it. Really expensive for what you get. Did I mention that the prices do not reflect the quality, service, or portions.

Lucienne: Simply dreadful the two times we went. Both food and service. I seem to recall, not as expensive as Red Rooster.

In that area, the Harlem Social was good. A drawback is the restaurant proper ambience, which is very very young, very very loud, and basically night-clubbish. You can sit outside, we did, it was quite pleasant. This is actually one of the better restaurants, or was when we were last there two weeks ago. The ambience may vary given the evening ...? So you could check it out and decide whether to sit in or out.

Lido: Good but very, very over-priced for what you get. The food is good but simply not THAT good. The prices are rather shocking once you experience it. You can check the menu on line.

Harlem Tavern: "Eh" food. Serious service problems.

Mobay: Food is better, or was, service terrible. Perhaps they have figured it out.

Melba's: Awful service, "eh" food. We have literally walked out - several times - after waiting to be seated as the bartender babbled with friends and the hostess.

There are a few other places we have not tried, 5 & Diamond, etc. Zoma ? I heard very mixed things.

There is an Italian place on Lenox below 125th, we did not like it. It is an odd place, not quite there, hovering at mediocre and sometimes moving to terrible.

I heard that Billie's Black was outstanding, soul food. It is expensive. I did hear that it was very good though, and from several people.

I love your posts...

Harlem restaurants better get it together.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
These are vaguely northward, although I'll admit I've only been to one of them.

Red Rooster, 301 Lenox - which I know has had some less favorable reviews, but I'd still be curious and Marcus Samuelsson sounds so intriguing.

Corner Social, 321 Malcolm X - I just heard about this, and it sounds interesting.

Pisticci, 125 La Salle - cute little homey restaurant, very reasonably priced, surprisingly good.
http://www.pisticcinyc.com/info.htm

Old 07-24-2012, 03:55 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
i enjoyed covo (italian). it's really really out of the way and you'd never notice it just walking around since it's actually *west* of riverside (around 135th)

COVO TRATTORIA E PIZZERIA

they accomodate large parties as well

prices are posted online so you can judge that for yourself. cheap for ny italian, more expensive than a suburban chain restaurant

i'd love to hear of some more good ones in this thread. the ones mentioned so far haven't sounded great...

Old 07-24-2012, 03:57 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Pisticci, 125 La Salle - cute little homey restaurant, very reasonably priced, surprisingly good.
http://www.pisticcinyc.com/info.htm
that's south of 125th off broadway...

if we include morningside heights as "harlem" you can pretty much wander around and guess, there are a ton of great places to eat in that neighborhood

not that i don't appreciate good suggestions though

Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
I love your posts...

Harlem restaurants better get it together.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

I wanted to add: With Harlem restaurants, if you actually care (we do), you should consider the negative reviews most carefully. The positive reviews are usually hype, whereas the negative ones are on target.
I had not encountered this before, or not to such an extent, in New York restaurant reviews.

I meant "Corner Social" rather than "Harlem Social" - I always mix up the name - someone else mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City