Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,008 times

Advertisements

I am currently 17 years old from West Virginia, I have a job currently(I work at the local pizza place), and I want to move to New York after school. It might be unrealistic, but I'm willing to put my plan out there and see what you guys think. I plan on taking the Integrative Nutrition course online to become a certified health coach. It is a year long program and I would plan on starting as soon as I turned 18. Their school swears you can "earn while you learn." So midway through my teachings, I would be able to actually coach some people and make a little money. I know it takes a while to build a business, but coming from WV(one of the most obese states in the USA), I think I could get some customers willing to pay for my help. I will also be applying to the Natural Gourmet Institute. I will be using SallieMae to help pay for what I cannot afford(including apartment rent, more than likely. Their website said it was possible.) They also, supposedly, have a plan where you can work at their school for a certain amount of hours and take their Chef Training Course for free. That is definitely something I will be looking into. I would also want to certify myself as a personal trainer, if possible. My dad is currently dating a woman whose family is from New York and they own a restaurant. They offered me a job and I will, if i can swing it with school and whatnot, take it. I don't know if my hours will coincide with my school schedule though. I know roommates are a MUST and the natural gourmet institute has a list of apartment realtors on their website. So basically, I know, for a while, my life when I get out there will be hell. I will be barely getting by, but I think I can do it. I know it's not some luxurious place like the tv shows make it out to be, but I still want to try. And even if I do not get accepted into the culinary school, I'm applying to some of the SUNY colleges there. Does it sound like I have a decent plan or do I need to reconsider? I plan on reading a lot of books about moving there too. Any/All help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
go for it! good luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:55 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evchado32 View Post
I am currently 17 years old from West Virginia, I have a job currently(I work at the local pizza place), and I want to move to New York after school. It might be unrealistic, but I'm willing to put my plan out there and see what you guys think. I plan on taking the Integrative Nutrition course online to become a certified health coach. It is a year long program and I would plan on starting as soon as I turned 18. Their school swears you can "earn while you learn." So midway through my teachings, I would be able to actually coach some people and make a little money. I know it takes a while to build a business, but coming from WV(one of the most obese states in the USA), I think I could get some customers willing to pay for my help. I will also be applying to the Natural Gourmet Institute. I will be using SallieMae to help pay for what I cannot afford(including apartment rent, more than likely. Their website said it was possible.) They also, supposedly, have a plan where you can work at their school for a certain amount of hours and take their Chef Training Course for free. That is definitely something I will be looking into. I would also want to certify myself as a personal trainer, if possible. My dad is currently dating a woman whose family is from New York and they own a restaurant. They offered me a job and I will, if i can swing it with school and whatnot, take it. I don't know if my hours will coincide with my school schedule though. I know roommates are a MUST and the natural gourmet institute has a list of apartment realtors on their website. So basically, I know, for a while, my life when I get out there will be hell. I will be barely getting by, but I think I can do it. I know it's not some luxurious place like the tv shows make it out to be, but I still want to try. And even if I do not get accepted into the culinary school, I'm applying to some of the SUNY colleges there. Does it sound like I have a decent plan or do I need to reconsider? I plan on reading a lot of books about moving there too. Any/All help is appreciated.
This is an exceedingly risky and dangerous thing and I urge you not to do it. Almost all of the on-line "schools" are only in it for the money and have little interest in actually making sure you have a job. In addition, their certification or degree or whatever it is that you earn is very likely to be almost totally useless as a credential in the New York City job market, carrying little to no weight with employers. These "schools" suck in the gullible with big promises and make them take out loans to pay tuition, and then when no job materializes the student is stuck with debt he can't repay and can't under law, be discharged through bankruptcy. So I urge you NOT to do this.

Better idea? Come to the city, get a roommate, work in the restaurant where you have a job, and spend a year checking out the reputable places to learn about nutirition, cooking and the like. In addition, if you want the far cheaper in-state tutition at any SUNY or CUNY campus, you have to be a legal resident of the state for at least one year--which means voting record, taxes paid here, driver's license, lease, and all the rest. So don't hurry. Get your living and working arrangements here established first for a year and then seek out the best educational opportunities.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Stay in West Virginia.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,816 times
What part of WV...I love Huntington....do you have the WV accent?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evchado32 View Post
Please do not use student loans to fund your apartment rent. Only use private student loans for what you need, and nothing more. The longer you are in school, the more the variable interest rate can inflate and you will be stuck paying back far more than you originally borrowed.
What kind of school is this health program? It is reputable? Have you read reviews of graduates that have been actually able to use the program to leverage a career into their desired field? Plenty of for-profit colleges promise students that their career placement center is the pinnacle of career placement centers and that a job will be waiting for you.
I see that you want to work in a restaurant? Please consider what would happen if you father stopped dating this woman, or if their restaurant went under. Culinary school is very expensive, my roommate is 33 and is still paying back his loans. Not to mention, he now works in real estate!
Books won't help, they are written by people who know they can exploit other people's money by offering blanket advice. Try reading blogs of people who moved here.
You have a plan, good. If you want to make the move, try to iron out the details and have a plan B, C and D.
I moved back to New York after high school with no promised job. The difference is I had family to stay with and family support. You can do it, I don't doubt you, but don't forget that if the sh*t ever does hit the fan, you can go home knowing you tried your best.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM

91 posts, read 152,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is an exceedingly risky and dangerous thing and I urge you not to do it. Almost all of the on-line "schools" are only in it for the money and have little interest in actually making sure you have a job. In addition, their certification or degree or whatever it is that you earn is very likely to be almost totally useless as a credential in the New York City job market, carrying little to no weight with employers. These "schools" suck in the gullible with big promises and make them take out loans to pay tuition, and then when no job materializes the student is stuck with debt he can't repay and can't under law, be discharged through bankruptcy. So I urge you NOT to do this.

Better idea? Come to the city, get a roommate, work in the restaurant where you have a job, and spend a year checking out the reputable places to learn about nutirition, cooking and the like. In addition, if you want the far cheaper in-state tutition at any SUNY or CUNY campus, you have to be a legal resident of the state for at least one year--which means voting record, taxes paid here, driver's license, lease, and all the rest. So don't hurry. Get your living and working arrangements here established first for a year and then seek out the best educational opportunities.

Good luck.
This.

Don't do anything stupid. Think it over before making such a life changing decision.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:57 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Good luck.

Excellent post citylove101

Old 07-25-2012, 02:01 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I have mixed feelings about this.

Here's what's bad. It's bad to trust a trust to a for-profit vocational school, no matter what they swear. I'm particularly suspicious when it's online. It's bad to believe that you can successfully build a business when you're in your teens. It's bad to come here with no savings. It's bad to come here without either a college degree or a useful work accreditation. It's bad to even think of borrowing money to pay for basics like rent.

Here's what's good. The really only good thing is the offer of a job. That's not much to hang your hat on.

I think that you might do better to tell the girlfriend's family that you'd love to take them up on their offer of a job in a couple of years when you've saved up some money.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
Don't want to sound like an a-hole, but if you can't make it in nowhere West Virginia, how are you going to make it in New York eff'ing City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: