Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,825 times

Advertisements

I live in Bay Ridge in the 70s it's a mixture of families and singles/couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
I live in Bay Ridge in the 70s it's a mixture of families and singles/couples.
Does that extend into Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst as well?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
I was born and raised in Bay Ridge and it's a great area. People out pushing strollers, getting ice cream, jogging on the waterfront, taking an evening stroll. Great restaurants and just about every one of them delivers. I'm up in the 90s by the water. In my opinion, no matter the avenue, the higher the number, the nicer the area. The 90s to me are much nicer than the 70s. I lived in the 70s for many years, then the 80s. None are bad. I just like the 90s much better than the others.

Keep in mind though that if you have a car, parking can be a nightmare.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Funny you should say that, I was just starting to check out areas in and around Bensonhurst.

Good, you will find it is much cheaper than Bay Ridge. It may take longer to get into Manhattan, but not everyone's life revolves around the City, mine sure doesn't.

Besides, the "D" train takes you there in 45 minutes, so it isn't really that bad. Plus the Belt Pkwy is right here, we are really centrally located to LI, and Manhattan, best of both worlds, as well as bus serivce...

I am happy here, I have been in this apartment for 25 years.

Also Gravesend is nice as well, which is above Bensonhurst - Bath Beach

Old 07-26-2012, 05:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
A bit of a silly question, since NYC neighborhood demographics change rather quickly in a short distance, but does anyone know why Sunset Park is so different Bay Ridge? I don't think any of the other nearby neighborhoods have an almost entirelly non-white somewhat poor immigrant population like Sunset Park.

I read Sunset Park used to have a lot of jobs from ports. When the ports were shuttered, perhaps a lot of the old population left, more so than other neighborhoods. Could that be it?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A bit of a silly question, since NYC neighborhood demographics change rather quickly in a short distance, but does anyone know why Sunset Park is so different Bay Ridge? I don't think any of the other nearby neighborhoods have an almost entirelly non-white somewhat poor immigrant population like Sunset Park.

I read Sunset Park used to have a lot of jobs from ports. When the ports were shuttered, perhaps a lot of the old population left, more so than other neighborhoods. Could that be it?
You should see the difference on 5th ave after 65th street. And it's more deeper than just "Hispanics/Asians are dirty so that's why our side is dirtier". The whole appearance of the strip CHANGES. What was mostly apartment buildings on the Sunset Park side, a train scrapyard, and just general neglect turns into a park, a movie theater and better looking houses on the Bay Ridge side.

3rd avenue in Sunset Park looks very ugly. Thanks to the BQE and whatnot. Bay Ridge doesn't deal with that problem. I don't really know the exact reasons as to why there's such a difference between Bay Ridge and Sunset, and your guess is actually as good as any. I just know Sunset was at a disadvantage from Bay Ridge since the beginning.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Good, you will find it is much cheaper than Bay Ridge....
I really noticed a price difference in Bensonhurst looking on Craigs List. Did I finally find an affordable neighborhood?

Or am I looking at more bait and switch tactics by scumbag brokers?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I really noticed a price difference in Bensonhurst looking on Craigs List. Did I finally find an affordable neighborhood?

Or am I looking at more bait and switch tactics by scumbag brokers?

bensonhurst bath beach are way cheaper than bay ridge.

that is true.

dyker is expensive

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
bensonhurst bath beach are way cheaper than bay ridge.

that is true.

That's encouraging. And it seems I am seeing what appears to be real owners putting ads on Craigslist, based on them not specifying a fee in the fine print of the ad - for what that's worth.

I am sure Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Bath Beach are family neighborhoods as well? (They were when I used to live there but NYC changes so fast.)

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
i think "much" or "way" cheaper is an exaggeration. i would say harlem is way cheaper than midtown, or bay ridge is much cheaper than williamsburg. i wouldn't say bath is way cheaper than BR

you might save 100 bucks a month tops on rent in bath over BR for similar apartments. i have many friends and family renting in both, ranging from one bedroom in 2 family house to three bedroom in large buildling

between those two neighborhoods i would just look at a bunch of places and pick whichever apartment i found that i liked the best. i think the difference is small enough that good landlord/appliances/etc would be the deciding factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City