Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times

Advertisements

Just thought I would change it up and start a thread on a light subject for a change.

So did anyone first meet a significant other, or a close friend on the subway?

I'm curious about this, because the subway is a natural place to meet new people, but here in NYC people often have their guards up. If anyone has any cool stories, please share.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-02-2007 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,319 times
I hope there are some responses.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 AM

203 posts, read 852,554 times
Only the pervert who started rubbing the side of my thigh with the back of his hand as we sat squished like sardines during rush hour...guess he thought I wouldn't notice.
I noticed.
I'm always looking though....

Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM

30 posts, read 160,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Only the pervert who started rubbing the side of my thigh with the back of his hand as we sat squished like sardines during rush hour...guess he thought I wouldn't notice.
I noticed.
I'm always looking though....
haha thats good. u didnt get his number then?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:06 AM

33,993 posts, read 47,230,787 times
i once met a girl on the subway....called her for 2 weeks straight and she was never home.....she even wanted to go to the beach with me that day i met her but i had somewhere 2 go....missed opportunities....

Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,196 times
What's very poignant are the ads I used to see in the Voice and other local papers. Usually they went like this:

Sunday April 10th, L train 2 pm.

We exchanged eye contact, you were wearing a leather jacket and purple bell bottoms. I was in jeans and a "I'd rather be reading Bukowski" T-shirt. Was too shy to make contact but can't stop thinking about you. Please contact me....

Such potential for meeting up, but usually so futile. Though I hear you have a much better chance at a Barnes and Noble, laundromat, supermarket, Home Depot, etc. Easier to start an "innocent" convo for sure.

And hey guys...if you see a nice girl on the subway or elsewhere who seems to be interested, give it a try. Plenty of single women trying to meet nice men without resorting to the bar scene.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
What's very poignant are the ads I used to see in the Voice and other local papers. Usually they went like this:

Sunday April 10th, L train 2 pm.

We exchanged eye contact, you were wearing a leather jacket and purple bell bottoms. I was in jeans and a "I'd rather be reading Bukowski" T-shirt. Was too shy to make contact but can't stop thinking about you. Please contact me....

Such potential for meeting up, but usually so futile. Though I hear you have a much better chance at a Barnes and Noble, laundromat, supermarket, Home Depot, etc. Easier to start an "innocent" convo for sure.

And hey guys...if you see a nice girl on the subway or elsewhere who seems to be interested, give it a try. Plenty of single women trying to meet nice men without resorting to the bar scene.
Missed Connections on Craigslist is full of those type of ads too.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Got trashed one Sunday afternoon in the Village. Jumped on the Uptown D to go home. Somewhere along the line, some girl started talking to me and was charmed by my intoxicated humor (go figure). We exchanged numbers- she wrote hers on my hand and it smeared. I forgot about until she actually called me. At that point, sober and clear headed, I remembered that I was involved and had to awkwardly explain and apologize.

So not quite a success, but an indication that, yes, you can meet someone on the NY Subway. Try getting drunk first.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 AM

LOL, Moth...

if I were a young, single guy, I'd sure be tempted to strike up a convo with some of those bonny young Irish lasses riding down from Woodlawn on the #4 train...they usually travel in pairs, though, so bring a friend...and check if they're 18!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 AM

PS--that can be a long, long ride when you're drunk and need to go to the bathroom like NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: