Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Good luck finding someone who can speak English in Miami.

There's no middle class there what-so-ever. And you thought it was bad in Manhattan! hah!
Wow. Thats complete BS. There are plenty of Cuban-Americans as well as other hispanics that speak english. Actually, most of the people that dont speak english are the older generation who came here 40+ years ago and werent able to learn english.

And as for middle class, what do you call Kendall, South Miami, Westchester and etc? You're just stereotyping. If you're not familiar with Miami then dont bash it.

jscore: I think it depends on what you do. Theres not a whole lot of job opportunities here. And wages are not as high as NYC. The cost of living is very high and the wages are definitely not.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yes there are many nice neighborhoods in Miami (although they remind me of the nice neighborhoods up here in the Bronx in that they are surrounded by pretty dangerous/sketchy neighborhoods). However even in these nice neighborhoods you will be hard pressed to find people who can speak English properly. Most of these neighborhoods will be for the most part populated by very wealthy Latins from South America and the Caribbean. There usually is a decent sized Jewish population remaining in many parts of Miami, however they are generally older, and most Jewish people moving down to South Florida these days end up in Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.

Yes the Cubans can speak English for the most part, however they only makeup about 1/3 of Miami. Most of the rest of the city is now comprised of non-english speaking Hispanics from other parts of Latin America. The more difficult thing is just trying to go about daily things in life (like asking a question at a business or the grocery store) and not being able to communicate to anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I like South Florida and would probably move there if the economy was better and it was a little bit more urban. However, as I've said before, I think English speaking America ends somewhere south of the Palmetto Expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Wow. Thats complete BS. There are plenty of Cuban-Americans as well as other hispanics that speak english. Actually, most of the people that dont speak english are the older generation who came here 40+ years ago and werent able to learn english.

And as for middle class, what do you call Kendall, South Miami, Westchester and etc? You're just stereotyping. If you're not familiar with Miami then dont bash it.

jscore: I think it depends on what you do. Theres not a whole lot of job opportunities here. And wages are not as high as NYC. The cost of living is very high and the wages are definitely not.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
I've heard some bad things about Miami. Lots of new immigrants can make it tough going to some degree unless you're bilingual. I heard crime is bad there too. But I can't really say if this is true.

Just wondering...why would you leave the Bay area for Miami? San Francisco is probably the only other American city I would ever consider living in other than NYC (but not quite--lol).

IMO the only way to get the real NYC vibe is to move back here.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 AM

146 posts, read 643,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
I've heard some bad things about Miami. Lots of new immigrants can make it tough going to some degree unless you're bilingual. I heard crime is bad there too. But I can't really say if this is true.

Just wondering...why would you leave the Bay area for Miami? San Francisco is probably the only other American city I would ever consider living in other than NYC (but not quite--lol).

IMO the only way to get the real NYC vibe is to move back here.
The only thing Bay Area and NY have in common is that both are "real" cities (unlike LA or San Diego). SF is considered the only real city here in Cali.

However, what they do differ in is personality, culture, etc.

I like Spanish/Latin culture and speak fluent Spanish so thats why I'm considering Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City