Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Look to the NJ forum on this site. You'll find that NJ has a whole slew of it's own problems (property taxes being probably #1)
Anywhere you go... you are going to have pros and cons.
You just have weigh those factors and make a decision based on what works in one's situation.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I find that NYC is much better to grow old than the suburbs. You have a substantial number of social services for the elderly which do not exist in the suburbs. You do not need a car to get anywhere, so if you are too old to drive, you just take a cab. You can walk to neighbors, restaurants, medical appts, or just take a cab...all of which is difficult or impossible in the suburbs (with the exception of walking to a neighbors house).

Growing old in NYC is ideal...growing old in suburbs, isolated, and if you can't drive anymore, then what? I'll take the city any day.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 PM

127 posts, read 261,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I find that NYC is much better to grow old than the suburbs. You have a substantial number of social services for the elderly which do not exist in the suburbs. You do not need a car to get anywhere, so if you are too old to drive, you just take a cab. You can walk to neighbors, restaurants, medical appts, or just take a cab...all of which is difficult or impossible in the suburbs (with the exception of walking to a neighbors house).

Growing old in NYC is ideal...growing old in suburbs, isolated, and if you can't drive anymore, then what? I'll take the city any day.
I will give you this Sobroguy. Urban areas are MUCH better for the elderly. Often their eyes and reaction times go before the rest of their bodies, preventing them from being safe drivers so walkability is key. In addition, the city has more to keep their minds stimulated, more people to meet, greater opportunity to be near someone in an emergency, better medical care etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM

484 posts, read 854,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Portland isn't infested with gangs, which any form of gang violence is actually pretty minimal and a fairly safe city anywhere within it.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._killings.html

Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Portland isn't infested with gangs, which any form of gang violence is actually pretty minimal and a fairly safe city anywhere within it.

Portland-Gresham Gangs -

Old 08-01-2012, 01:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:

Growing old in NYC is ideal for being mugged while walking to your roach infested chicken coop of an apartment.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

You can find the same in Philly, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.

My understanding Hipsters do not make NYC very Senior friendly thus why they feel pushed out of their homes

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:

i will agree with this, but the only thing holding me back is the cold, ice, snow...

that is not so great for the elderly.
i hate the cold.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Growing old in NYC is ideal for being mugged while walking to your roach infested chicken coop of an apartment.

well said lol

Old 08-01-2012, 01:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
smh, did you read the article or just posted it because of the headline? I know you don't like me, and I don't really care, but trying to paint Portland as some gang territory just because you found an article and googled a gang page from the northwest doesn't mean the city is infested with gangs does it? (and yes, I imagine you are smart enough to know the answer to that question.)

Quote:
Seven of the eight remain unsolved, including the November killing of a 13-year-old boy, Julio Cesar Marquez, whose body was found in a Northeast Portland alley. Marquez became the city's youngest gang-involved homicide victim in at least a decade.

This year, the city logged a total of 24 homicides, down from 29 in 2010, and up from 21 in 2009, which was nearly a 40-year low. Police solved 48 percent of the killings, a low rate that shows the difficulty of cracking gang crimes.
Yep. 8 killings...sound like an infestation to me, especially seeing in 2005 there were no gang killings. And 24 homicides in a year translates to a very safe city....which I should know cause I actually lived there.

Now if you wouldn't mind to simply move on because you are kind of sounding dumb trying to attack Portland for no real reason other than not liking me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City