Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Hypothetically speaking, if you campaigned for mayor what would be the issues at the top of your agenda to help make New York City a better place.
Here's my rant:

1. Fix the city's existing infrastructure. Put aside all the new glossy plans for a while and just fix/paint/repair our EXISTING crumbling subway system, bridges, roads, sidewalks, and parks.
What is it about the fact that the Mayor has absolutely NO control over the subways!!?

Quote:
2. Demolish all public housing. They don't seem to help many people within them and are a scourge to the neighborhoods around them. How many people have been murdered or shot in these complexes? No one should have to live in or around that kind of hopeless environment.
Sounds like a GREAT idea! Let's give all the residents susidies and place them in apts and houses on YOUR block!

Quote:
Sell the properties to developers, build affordable housing where occupants can live at subsidized rents for 10 or so years unless they are elderly or disabled. No one has the right to live in NYC, especially on someone else's dime.
[/quote]

What is so special that living in NYC has some special right greater than anywhere else?

If there is going to be an income limit, then it the limit should start $1 more than what YOU earn!

Quote:
3. Enforce littering laws and put adequate wastebaskets on the corners. Why not mandate ashtrays outside of large office buildings as well
Stupid people. Stupid laws. Small minds!

Just woke up, Sleeping Beauty? Office did have ashtrays, but then stupid people passed antismolking laws, and stupid people began to complain about smokers congregating in front of buildings, and having to walk thru clouds of smoke.

Quote:
4. Congestion pricing charges for anyone driving into Midtown and Downtown. Nuff said.
Bullet to the head. Nuff said!

Manhattan belongs to EVERYONE in the tristate, and especially the four boroughs. Not to yuppie transplants living in Manhattan.

Up close head shot.

Quote:
5. Get the mentally ill and homeless off our streets and into some kind of care.
You are a true unaware idiot.

"OUR Streets"????

Hmmmm....

By what criteris is "our" determined???

Nazi you intend upon disenfranchising the homeless???? Nazi!

In the stead, NYC streets s/b deemed the property of Native NYers ONLY! Homeless natives included. Immediately solves the congestion problem! Curfews imposed upon all non natives!

Quote:
6. Though they're not as bad as state workers, let's get rid of some of the beureacracy, and lazy and often useless civil servants sitting around waiting for a pension. Also, get rid of the city council. Useless idiots.
Federal workers aren't as bad as State workers.

The only semi sensical thing you've said.

Yet, why not get to the heart of the matter and simply break all the state and municipal Unions? Without so doing, nothing can be done.

Re the City Council, again, competency costs!

Term limits and competitive salaries.

Quote:
Other ideas, that are even more fiscally impossible:

1. All banks, drug stores, and big box retailers can only have limited footprints at street level. They kill streetlife, take that corporate crap to basements or a second story.
While I fully agree with the effect upon street life and it needs to be addressed by city government, the question is how do you do so without infringing upon people and business'and property owners' rights??

Quote:
2. Green roofs. We have a great skyline but limited green space. Wouldn't it be nice if all our multifamily buddings had accessible planted rooftop decks.
Perhaps 'green' roofs. Accessibility? NOPE!

How'd you like a bunch of idiots dancing on top of your head? My building limited access, because stupid transplants do not know how to act!!

In another coop building I lived. Someone's rental roommate who was allowed access to the roof deck, turned the roof into a disco and opened the building to all sort of riff raff. The coop board vie president had to call the police to shut down the party and clear the building!

NO to "accessibility'!

Quote:
3 Mandatory 20% affordable housing in each new development. Maybe zoning should be relaxed a bit in some areas near mass transit to allow larger buildings. And once again, someone should not be able to live in subsidized housing for the rest of their lives unless they are disabled or elderly.
Are you some sort of NAZI! Progressive Liberal Communist?

Ever hear of PROPERTY RIGHTS!?

Quote:
4 Any able-bodied person in subsidized housing must commit to a few hours of community service.
Yup! You're a Nazi!

These people have committed what crime? I guess being poor!

Why not require EVERYONE, why just poor people?

In any event Nazi, Americans are FREE!

Quote:
5 Make the MTA a city agency.
What about all those MTA properties that are outside the city's borders? How does the city fund the MTA w/o State funds?

But, yes, the Mayor s/h greater say with regard to the MTA.

Quote:
6 Widen sidewalks on all avenues.
See "congestion Pricing" above; Exploding armor piercing bullet.

Quote:
7 Get rid of half the bus stops. There's no reason why a bus should have to stop every other block. People need to walk more anyway.
Hmmmm, two words, elderly, disabled. Besides, who voted you Dictator of Health!

Quote:
8 Extend our subways and improve service so we can continue building up the ultimate urban metropolis.
With whose money? Not mine!

Who said the metropolis needs extending?

Extended to where?

Just like a Nazi Communist, bent upon Conquering and Controlling!! Mein Furher!!!

Competent managment needs to be the immediate goal. Competence demands competitive salary and compensation equal to the private sector.

Also, POLITICS *must* be removed from the management process.

Without the above, government can NEVER attract competitive mangement, which is one reason things are so screwed!

Quote:
10 Landmark all our beautiful pre-war buildings, they should never be torn down and replaced by the basura we typically throw up nowadays.
The Nazi Progressive Communist speaks again!

Last Time: PROPERTY RIGHTS!!

Quote:
11 Send all city kids to boarding schools. Yes I know, fiscally impossible...
It is NOT fiscally impossible!! Do a little homework. All it takes the instillation of a 'School Voucher' program; but that requires the breaking of the teachers union!!! Priority number one!

On the other hand, Is there no end to your dictatorial nature??

Come for my kids.....

Bring guns and an army. Be prepared for a revolutionary fight. Think Al Queda in Iraq and The Mujahidin on steroids, better yet Armmageddon!

My kids belong to me!

Quote:
12 Secede from New York state....leaches.
I prefer lining up all the Nazi Progressive Communists along a wall.....

Think St. Valentines's Day massacre

Quote:
13 Secede from the U.S. Leaches.
I prefer 'Roundup' of all Nazi Progressive Liberals, and putting them in boats, and transporting to any nation of their choice that they believe is better than the USA!

Either that or nuke NYC, Boston, LA and SF!!!

Oh, and a Neutron bomb inside the DC beltway, including the bedroom communities of the DC political elite!!

Nuff said!

While I fully agree with the effect upon street life and it needs to be addressed by city government, the question is how do you do so without infringing upon people and business'and property owners' rights??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
Secede and model it after Singapore. Also, take over the reservoir we get our water from upstate. That way, the hicks upstate don't have a trump card over us.
NYC owns the reservoirs and the land around it, while also imposing laws upon thee locals in the interest of the city and its reservoir.

How is it that you think the opposite?

This is obviously the stupid speaks out thread!

Most of what has been proposed is composed of ridiculously impossible 'Wet Dreams' with absolutely no basis in economiic reality. NONE!

Please, go back to school and take a couple of basic economics courses!

Why doesn't the mayor hand out million dollar checks to everybody....

This is why the country is screwed, because the people are STUPIDLY IGNORANT!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Tellin' it like it is, jc.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,002 times
End rent stabilization. That is all.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Bullet to the head. Nuff said!

Manhattan belongs to EVERYONE in the tristate, and especially the four boroughs. Not to yuppie transplants living in Manhattan.

Up close head shot.
Yep, and then what's the big deal with congestion pricing? And when I lived in the suburbs (Long Island) we'd always come in by train. Would be nicer to visit if there was less car exhaust and car noise.

Those who really needed to enter Manhattan by car would have less traffic to contend with after paying.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,324 times
Bring back Dinkins...Bring back Dinkins...

Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 AM

801 posts, read 1,104,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
End rent stabilization. That is all.
Ufff!!!! Another one with ending the rent stabilization , !!!!! If you was thinking been a Mayor, at the first post to be elected , I will send a sharpshooter right away!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
lls ya on some other stuff right now.

if i were mayor, i'd pressure wash the whole city;
keep some of that sweet air freshener from new
jersey blowing in; stop the rents from going up so
high; get the twin towers built back; give every
worker a living wage; end hunger in the city; etc..

Old 08-06-2012, 12:54 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,825 times
If I was mayor !! I will allowe everyone to post on CD what ever people wants to talk!!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
The only way to really get the rents under control is to build a huge amount of middle income housing. Private developers currently have no incentive to do that, so I would give them much bigger tax incentives, and also build a lot of new middle-income public housing.

I really think if you solved the rent problem, NYC would become a viable home for the middle class again and a lot of other problems would take care of themselves.

I would also landmark every single pre-war building. There's plenty of fedder garbage to tear down if we need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City