Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
In what areas?
It all depends where you want to live!!! I can say Riverside in the Bronx , or LIC in Queens . Manhattan is to expensive .Pretty much is what Jcolt is saying . Everyone is asking the same question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
The problem is I've never been there
How could you consider moving to a place you've never been?
Grow up and take the NYC blinders off.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
How could you consider moving to a place you've never been?
Grow up and take the NYC blinders off.
Um, A LOT of people move to NYC with never having been.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Really?
What's ALOT?
How many make it?
Are you suggesting it's a good idea to move to one of the most expensive cities in the country without having seen it beforehand?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 11,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
It all depends where you want to live!!! I can say Riverside in the Bronx , or LIC in Queens . Manhattan is to expensive .Pretty much is what Jcolt is saying . Everyone is asking the same question.
Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are fine

Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,196 times
I won't never do so!!! Is at risk of the OP, but how many people moves from another country to the state with out knowing nothing,????and dont know English ??!! Now there's another problem!! She's asking where ?? And don't know the area!!!! Buy a NYC map. Get references from friends and consult anyone who knows NY .

Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Really?
What's ALOT?
How many make it?
Are you suggesting it's a good idea to move to one of the most expensive cities in the country without having seen it beforehand?
Assuming you move with a job/career (or the means to support $1400/month in rent as seems to be the case here), yes there would be no reason why you can't "make it". The situation with the OP isn't "I want to move to NYC and I have no job lined up or skills and can only afford $300 in rent", as we see with far too many posters on this forum. The situation with the OP is "I'm graduating from college soon and I can afford $1,400 in rent, where should/can I live?" Although the OP has not stated where the income for the rent is coming from, $1400/month in rent money and presumably a college education with marketable degree/skill set means that she's not going to be floundering. Now, whether or not she will actually LIKE NYC, is another question.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Assuming you move with a job/career (or the means to support $1400/month in rent as seems to be the case here), yes there would be no reason why you can't "make it". The situation with the OP isn't "I want to move to NYC and I have no job lined up or skills and can only afford $300 in rent", as we see with far too many posters on this forum. The situation with the OP is "I'm graduating from college soon and I can afford $1,400 in rent, where should/can I live?" Although the OP has not stated where the income for the rent is coming from, $1400/month in rent money and presumably a college education with marketable degree/skill set means that she's not going to be floundering. Now, whether or not she will actually LIKE NYC, is another question.
Agreed but OP has not disclose any preferences or needs. His/her request was too general.
In addition, at the risk of sound like an a$$, there are tons of similar threads on this board. Perhaps he/she should do a little search on CD to gain some general information first then ask some specific questions.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 11,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
I got a list of areas. If you wouldn't mind could you tell me which ones I should add or takeaway.

Brooklyn
Bay Ridge
Bensonhurst
Boerum Hill
Brooklyn Heights
Bushwick
Carroll Gardens
Cobble Hill
Crown Heights
Downtown-Metrotech
Dumbo
Dyker Heights
Fort Greene
Greenpoint
Park Slope
Prospect Heights
Sunset Park

Queens
Jamaica Estates
Flushing
Astoria
Elmhurst
Forest Hills
Jackson Heights
Kew Gardens
Long Island City
Rego Park

Bronx
Riverdale

Manhattan
Inwood
Washington Heights
Greenwich Village
Hell’s Kitchen
Morningside Heights
West Harlem
Upper East Side
Clinton
Gramercy
Murray Hill
East Village

Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times
Quote:
I got a list of areas. If you wouldn't mind could you tell me which ones I should add or takeaway.

Brooklyn
Bay Ridge
Bensonhurst
Boerum Hill
Brooklyn Heights
Bushwick
Carroll Gardens
Cobble Hill
Crown Heights
Downtown-Metrotech
Dumbo
Dyker Heights
Fort Greene
Greenpoint
Park Slope
Prospect Heights
Sunset Park

Queens
Jamaica Estates
Flushing
Astoria
Elmhurst
Forest Hills
Jackson Heights
Kew Gardens
Long Island City
Rego Park

Bronx
Riverdale

Manhattan
Inwood
Washington Heights
Greenwich Village
Hell’s Kitchen
Morningside Heights
West Harlem
Upper East Side
Clinton
Gramercy
Murray Hill
East Village
Listen Up!!! You are not listening to what other posters are telling you. You need to give up a lot of background information before we can recommend or not recommend any neighborhood.

Do you want a hip vibe?
Do you want quiet and green?
How about the commute to work? How long would be acceptable?
Do you prefer a studio or one bedroom?
Do you see the pattern here?

With no info for us to help you I'll just say at this point to just grab a neighborhood out of a hat! What else can we tell you! Come on girl, get with the program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City