Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,480 times

Advertisements

To annotate Miss J's helpful list

Bay Ridge
Bensonhurst
Dyker Heights

These are basically the same. Bay Ridge has a small edge in good food (3rd and 5th avenues). I grew up here. Very safe. Longer commute compared to "hip" parts of Bklyn but better prices/more space. However, many of the lines here (R/D/N/F) go straight to midtown so at least you won't need to transfer. Consider how far a walk it is to the subway when considering apartments, some blocks are quite a hike (i/e shore road in Bay Ridge). Very few parts of new york can beat this for price per square foot while remaining safe and offering amenities.

Bushwick

I'd skip it. I had a girlfriend here for a couple years. Disliked coming here. Food sucks, not particularly safe, many of the buildings are run down, despite what realtors will tell you. I think it's a rip off, beware of realtors calling this "williamsburg". It may have improved some lately, but bleh.

Crown Heights

Ditto. You can wind up on a good or bad block here. I would strongly advise against it for an out of towner, even one from detroit.

Fort Greene

Not bad, but beware of realtors calling places in bedstuy or tompkins park "fort greene" which is a lie.

Sunset Park

Adjacent to Bay Ridge, slightly cheaper, certainly sketchier. Predominantly hispanic except for a few asian pockets. It's not terrible, but not as safe as south brooklyn. You'd have a slightly shorter commute, possibly a better price. Personally I'd skip it for south brooklyn, but worth considering. I'd avoid 2nd and 3rd avenues. These are partially zoned for industry, and have a noisy elevated highway above it where there is a prostitution problem. 4th and 5th aves are better. Then again I have a friend who lives b/w 2nd and 3rd. He likes it b/c he has a huge space that he can let be really dirty and throw huge parties. To each their own.

Queens

Personally I love astoria. Great food, fun scene without the hipster prices. N/R trains go straight to midtown very quickly. I'd highly recommend this place. I don't know the other queens neighborhoods listed very well, at least compared to other people here.

Bronx
Riverdale (Possibly, but good luck with that)

I'd skip in favor of Inwood/WH. Worse transit options in riverdale, some parts are out of convenient walking distance to a subway.

Manhattan
Inwood
Washington Heights

I am actually looking to move here now. East of broadway is sketchier than west of broadway, for only a modest tradeoff in price. Some really good food choices popping up on dyckman and along broadway. Good transit to midtown. Pretty great turn around for these neighborhoods vs 20 years ago. I have friends here who heartily recommended it.

Morningside Heights

Great but probably out of your price range unless you get a roommate. I lived here and loved it. Beware of realtors calling harlem "Morningside Heights". If it's north of 125 or east of manhattan ave its not MH. (some people do legitimately include fred doug boulevard, but certainly not 7th ave)

West Harlem

I'm here all the time. Not terrible but I'd advise Inwood/WH instead. Slight increase in transit in return you get much better amenities and a significantly safer area for the same price. Dramatic changes in atmosphere from one block to the next, hard for an out of towner to judge I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City