Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,502,377 times

Advertisements

Let me start of by saying that I'm a native New Yorker. Born and raised in Manhattan's lower east side. I have been to pretty much every neighborhood both good and bad within the 5 boroughs but last week for the first time while taking a detour due to heavy traffic I passed through what I was told at the time was Brownsville Brooklyn. I recall being at the intersection of Rockaway and Sutter and looking around while saying to myself...."where the hell am I?" It was as if every single person in the neighborhood was outside doing nothing but watching everyone who passed by. Every single store front had at least 6-7 guys just standing in front. While driving down Sutter I come to a stop at a red light and see some guy being carried out on a stretcher from a chicken place on the corner with blood running down his face as if he was cut or stabbed. Continued down Sutter and saw more of the same block after block. It was as if everyone was up to no good! Sorry if I offend anyone who's from there but this neighborhood was pretty horrific looking! Even the cops looked scared while patrolling on foot 5 deep all walking very close together. It was as if the people (mainly black males) were like wolves just waiting around to attack thier prey! Now I've been to some rough looking neighborhoods but this one definitely takes the cake! Sad part is, there's people from there that are actually proud of having that title!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
lol wolves tho? you don't even personally know those
guys' experience to call them all that. you know by
sight that brownsville is a rough part of town now
tho.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you fidn't know brownsville was
a rough part of town by now?
Yes but never personally seen it first hand till then. I've been to the worst parts of Far Rockaway and it still didnt have nothing on what I saw in Brownsville.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,768,404 times
What time were you there? I drive by Brownsville every so often through Atlantic Ave and Rockaway on my way to Court St (downtown Bklyn). During the day (between 9-5), it isn't that horrible. If you're walking around at 1 am on a Fri night though, I think you should just exercise caution and common sense.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
What time were you there? I drive by Brownsville every so often through Atlantic Ave and Rockaway on my way to Court St (downtown Bklyn). During the day (between 9-5), it isn't that horrible. If you're walking around at 1 am on a Fri night though, I think you should just exercise caution and common sense.
I was around 7pm on a Friday. I know Atlantic Ave and you're right, its not that horrible. Big difference between Atlantic ave and Sutter Ave in Brownsville though!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,349,667 times
people are living some scary lives out
here, but that's the hand they were
dealt. they still have to survive with
all the poverty and hopelessnes.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
people are living some scary lives out
here, but that's the hand they were
dealt. they still have to survive with
all the poverty and hopelessnes.
I totally agree. That's why I stated that it was sad. Some people dont know nothing else aside from there immediate surroundings. Its as if they're unaware that there is life outside of thier 4-5 block radius. Even sadder is that most of these young males are proud to be from such an area as if its some sort of ghetto achievement.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM

303 posts, read 601,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Even sadder is that most of these young males are proud to be from such an area as if its some sort of ghetto achievement.
To survive living in a crappy area is one thing in itself.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,312,179 times
I have never been to East NY or Brownsville but at some point I would like to make my way out there to see what all the hype is about. I don't doubt the reputation is earned, but I would like to experience it for myself. I wonder how a neighborhood could be worse than the infamous Mott Haven, so I have to see the 2 neighborhoods which are!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
LOL....yeah Brownsville is no joke. That Saturday a few weeks ago when it was 99 degrees I was over there in the projects....on Pitkin and Christopher. I take extra precaution when I'm in Brownsville, always.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City