Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Point is, this alleged "gentrification" has been occurring long before the "evil" Hipsters of the early 2000s. It has been a part of NYC history for generations, and nothing new. People have been complaining about getting "priced out" of "their neighborhoods" since neighborhoods existed.....that's what people do..complain, blame others. I take little stock in the nonstop complaints as it has never ceased..if it isn't these people complaining, it's someone else. Rents go up, expenses go up..that's life...there are no guarantees or promises that you will live where you want, forever, at the price you determine. Nor is it "your neighborhood" anymore than the guy who just moved in next door.

Although the above-highlighted quote of yours was posted over two years ago, it is SO true . . . today and likely forever more. Even if I don't personally like that it is true (and I don't like that it is true), the fact is that it is true . . . especially the part where you say ". . . there are no guarantees or promises that you will live where you want, forever, at the price you determine" and then say "Nor is it "your neighborhood" anymore than the guy who just moved in next door." It is demoralizing to me that it is true but that is just the way it is.

It's like the saying that says: "God grant me the strength to accept those things I can't change, the courage to change those things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". The most important part is "and the wisdom to know the difference". That is, to recognize those things that you can change and then those things that you can't change. Do we expect the Lower East Side (Delancey St., the Bowery, et al) to remain looking like it did at the beginning of the 1900s (slummy, gritty, broken-down, dilapidated) and to preserve it that way forever just for the sake of nostalgia? Do we expect the deep South Bronx (the "Fort Apache" South Bronx) to have remained the way it was forever more . . . just to preserve a nostalgic image? Although sometimes I do wish that there would be a greater degree of sensitivity of historic preservation and preserving character in the course of gentrification taking its course.

P.S.-- Why am I unable to give you rep points? On all your postings, there is nothing to click on to give you rep points. This occurs in multiple different browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome). Are you aware of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 PM

286 posts, read 353,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's reached it's limits in certain areas though. I live in Spanish Harlem. In some ways I like gentrification too. However, the housing projects here limit how far that can go and they just can't move out all those people.

Chicago, which destroyed it's housing projects, just moved those people out to the suburbs and certain other towns that became NEW GHETTOES.

Just out of curiousity why do you feel the Caribbeans are rascist?

Gentrification isn't whites claiming those areas of NYC. Whites moving into certain hood parts of NYC are people who have to live in NYC because of their careers/professional opportunities. But not everyone moving into these neighborhoods are white. There are professional Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc.
It's easier for some people to simplify it to White gentrifiers, people don't like delving into the layers. I've met tons of non-white hipsters who came from other states and countries and live in those same gentrified neighborhoods, they still pay the same prices any other newcomer will pay, working in the same industries, wearing the same skinny jeans at the same coffee shops.

What about Greenpoint (Polish), Astoria (Greek), Ridgewood (Italians) all neighborhoods with existing white populations that are being priced out or are cashing out of the area. the Village has been white for a long time now but the economic classes have changed over the years and now it's whites but from the upper end of the $ scale pricing out other whites with less $.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
It's easier for some people to simplify it to White gentrifiers, people don't like delving into the layers. I've met tons of non-white hipsters who came from other states and countries and live in those same gentrified neighborhoods, they still pay the same prices any other newcomer will pay, working in the same industries, wearing the same skinny jeans at the same coffee shops.

What about Greenpoint (Polish), Astoria (Greek), Ridgewood (Italians) all neighborhoods with existing white populations that are being priced out or are cashing out of the area. the Village has been white for a long time now but the economic classes have changed over the years and now it's whites but from the upper end of the $ scale pricing out other whites with less $.
The Village is pretty much past tense, as wealthy whites have long priced out poorer whites. There may be a few rent controlled apartments left but as older people die or move into nursing homes those units will be gut renovated and made market rates.

Hells Kitchen and Yorkville also had existing white populations that cashed out of the area.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,094 times
(Apologize if this was posted before) This seems interesting.

Sustainable Communities - New York City Department of City Planning

I wonder how that'll play out considering ENY's proximity to its neighbor, VilleGhanistan (Brownsville)

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City