U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:49 PM

9,571 posts, read 10,917,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
Arizona..................You can own a firearm, Carry Openly in Public, carry Concealed on your person, without ANY Permit, as long as person has never had a felony conviction/no Mental deflict............They did away with there Carry Concealed weapons Permit a couple of years ago. Only restrictions today, cannot enter any govt. bldg. carrying, business wich have no deadly weapons allowed sinage in window. It use to be one could go into any shooting range, rent almosy any type of gun, including fully automatic ( Machine gun supervised ) w ammo, pay for your items, range fees, have a " blast ".........no records check, show proper I.D, pay, your set, that probally has'nt changed............" An armed society is a Polite society "............Would never work in Nyc though, too many hot tempered people here.
People don't start trouble with people who might be carrying guns. There's nothing like fear to cool a hot temper. We can carry guns into the courthouse; never a bit of trouble.

It's a fact: more guns, fewer crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM

8,692 posts, read 7,095,297 times
The idea that an possibly armed person deters others from committing crimes doesn't work in places like NYC with dense urban populations consisting of such a wide array of cultures. If 35,000 armed, uniformed cops doesn't deter them, you really think they'd be afraid of the little old lady who might have a .32 in her purse?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Actually its not the fact the bad guys may be afraid of the old lady. its the fact that in nyc an armed citizen as of now really is un-expected in the bad guys eyes giving the ole lady a potential edge on the bad guys.

most bad guys dont expect the victim to be armed.

that little ole lady they think is pulling out her wallet can actually pull out a gun with some practice and in less time then the bad guys can react she can deal with the situation.

of course that edge can vanish if citizens were thought to be armed.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:28 PM

681 posts, read 1,394,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually its not the fact the bad guys may be afraid of the old lady. its the fact that in nyc an armed citizen as of now really is un-expected in the bad guys eyes giving the ole lady a potential edge on the bad guys.

most bad guys dont expect the victim to be armed.

that little ole lady they think is pulling out her wallet can actually pull out a gun with some practice and in less time then the bad guys can react she can deal with the situation.

of course that edge can vanish if citizens were thought to be armed.

Kinda funny as once I went to a gun range out in PA, there was an old lady in the lane next to me firing her Sig Sauer .380 semi auto pistol. I had rented a Glock 19 for the hour and enjoyed it as well. I was pleasantly surprised as after she finished shooting, she put her gun in her purse and went off about her day. Now, this is some sweet looking, old lady who I would never expect to be packin. She shot well and confidently. I feel sorry for the fool who tries to hurt her.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 AM

71,515 posts, read 71,694,121 times
one thing combat training has taught us is action time is way way faster then reaction time.

someone unexpectedly producing a weapon can suddenly turn the tables very easily . its tough to deal with when your trained and expect it but its even tougher if your untrained and dont expect it..

good martial artists can disarm a bad guy very quickly many times just because they cant react to the martial artists actions quick enough.

ever tell someone to try to catch a dollar bill you drop through their fingers?

try it...

hold a bill folded in half the longway between their thumb and forefinger. say now every time you drop the bill giving them notice your doing it. i bet even with you telling them your dropping the bill they still cant grab it very much as it falls through their fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or