U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, any gun owners in NYC on here? Is it a huge hassle or what it it like buying and owning firearms in NYC?

For anyone from NYC, I understand the city to be quite liberal, how do you personally feel about guns in general? Also, do you understand all aspects of guns and gun ownership when stating your opinion on guns?

P.S. - I'm not trying to start a political argument, just trying to get a feel as to NYCers opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:27 AM

681 posts, read 1,394,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4pencilsSHARP View Post
Out of curiosity, any gun owners in NYC on here? Is it a huge hassle or what it it like buying and owning firearms in NYC?

For anyone from NYC, I understand the city to be quite liberal, how do you personally feel about guns in general? Also, do you understand all aspects of guns and gun ownership when stating your opinion on guns?

P.S. - I'm not trying to start a political argument, just trying to get a feel as to NYCers opinions.
New York state, especially NYC is not the best place, nor the friendliest place for the law abiding gun owner. The restrictions that they put in place are extremely onerous. Your only allowed to go to the range with your pistol in a locked case and ammo separately locked within NYC borders, so that leaves you with being forced to pay $400-500 per year on membership fees to use a range. With the rifle/shotgun you may shoot at ranges in long island or in upstate ny as I don't know of ranges within the NYC boundary that would allow shooting shotguns and rifles indoors, unless it was a .22, and I certainly don't know of any outdoor gun ranges with NYC limits and it certainly won't be within Central Park.

In order to learn more about the process of legally buying and registering a gun in NYC, and getting properly licensed I suggest you join the gun discussion forum at Long Island Firearms there are also many active duty and retired law enforcement officers there that can answer your questions.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM

71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
folks please dont start another gun control debate. you can search this forum and find more then you want to see.

as far as licensing goes :

if your squeaky clean odds are you will have no problem getting a residence permit.

you can go to a nyc approved range and hunting with a proper hunting license in new york state once you get your residence permit..

other than that your permit is not valid off your premises.

its just expensive , as you really want to join a range to do your paper work and teach you. woodhaven rifle and pistol in queens is a reasonable place and nice people.

the wait for the permit is the worst part ,it takes about 6 months.

everything about dealing with the licensing division is time consuming and a hassle.

typically you need 2 days to do a purchase transaction. day 1 you can pick up your purchase order which you appy for well in advance and then you can pick up the gun from the dealer. you have to come back again to have it inspected and registered on another day..

there are ranges you can go to without being members. coyne park in yonkers and the nassau range are 2 that are fairly close. you pay by the hour.

.22 rifle and no magnum calibers are the general rule in many of the indoor ranges.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-09-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
folks please dont start another gun control debate. you can search this forum and find more then you want to see.

as far as licensing goes :

if your squeaky clean odds are you will have no problem getting a residence permit.

you can go to a nyc approved range and hunting with a proper hunting license in new york state once you get your residence permit..

other than that your permit is not valid off your premises.

its just expensive , as you really want to join a range to do your paper work and teach you. woodhaven rifle and pistol in queens is a reasonable place and nice people.

the wait for the permit is the worst part ,it takes about 6 months.

everything about dealing with the licensing division is time consuming and a hassle.

typically you need 2 days to do a purchase transaction. day 1 you can pick up your purchase order which you appy for well in advance and then you can pick up the gun from the dealer. you have to come back again to have it inspected and registered on another day..

there are ranges you can go to without being members. coyne park in yonkers and the nassau range are 2 that are fairly close. you pay by the hour.

.22 rifle and no magnum calibers are the general rule in many of the indoor ranges.

+1 I also wanted to add that I have seen NYC pistol permit applications taking as long as 4 months to get approved and issued. Either way its a long and expensive and hassle filled experience. I'm counting the days until I move out of state to a state where no permits, or licensing or registration is needed, the way the founding fathers of our country intended it to be.

For more information on the application process you may go to the NYPD's website and click on the tab "permits and licensing"

Last edited by Mr. Chad; 08-09-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 PM

6,195 posts, read 6,358,094 times
really, takes a few months to get a pistol permit in NYC? I thought it was you show up, fill out paperwork, pay fee, wait 45 mins and your done. What about the long guns permits then?

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM

Actually they usually take the full 6 month legal time limit.

Around the 4 month mark if you belong to a city range and most of the reports on you came back the range can request a pre-licensing exclusion.

They can let you train with a range owned firearm.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
really, takes a few months to get a pistol permit in NYC? I thought it was you show up, fill out paperwork, pay fee, wait 45 mins and your done. What about the long guns permits then?
Ha ha ha if only that was true. Its pretty much a 6 month deal.

Rifle shotgun was about 4 months but with all the budget cuts it may also take longer.

If you have a pistol permit you can get a rifle shot gun permit on the spot.

Thats done in queens though not manhattan like pistol.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Ha ha ha if only that was true. Its pretty much a 6 month deal.

Rifle shotgun was about 4 months but with all the budget cuts it may also take longer.

If you have a pistol permit you can get a rifle shot gun permit on the spot.

Thats done in queens though not manhattan like pistol.

The Queens location is now accepting pistol permit applications, and will fingerprint you, but will then forward it to Manhattan for processing. You'll then be assigned an investigating officer who handles your file, and will have to go to Manhattan for your "interview"

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 AM

interesting , i see that on their website now.

"Overview
You may apply for a handgun license by downloading an application package, completing the application form and accompanying documents and submitting them, in person, to the License Division at 1 Police Plaza, Room 110, or at the Rifle and Shotgun Section, located at 120-55 Queens Boulevard, Room B-11, Kew Gardens, NY. "

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
i saw on their website where you got the 45 minutes time. thats only the time they figure it takes to complete the application process with finger printing.

thats only submitting your application, the permit doesnt actually get issued for up to 6 months.

its not that the investigation takes that long its to discourage you from even trying.

for the first time ever they actually let my friends permit expire before they even worked on her renewal .

they said they are short staffed and things take longer .

her permit expired a week ago and yesterday she got a call from nypd . she forget to answer the question about where are the guns kept.

she said in a locked box but what difference does it make,if i wanted to i could keep it loaded on the kitchen table with a residence permit.

they said they know but the question is still on the renewal form from the old target hunting license days when it couldnt be kept loaded on premises so they have to ask anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or