Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 AM

10 posts, read 79,973 times

Advertisements

I rest my case!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
lol that doesnt mean anything.....if that was the case laundromats wouldnt even exist in some neighborhoods. im sure the upper east side has one laundromat. and if you're a renter up there, i dont think you could classify as "poor"...

Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

191 posts, read 900,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I am a Brooklynite but I am not the type of person to tell you my boro is the best if it wasn't. Scranton absolutely is out as far as I am concerned. Just drive down the main street and you will see what I mean. Brooklyn gravesend is ok if you like religious people --primarily taken over by religious jewish. It does make the neighborhood kind of safe. The best bet is to walk around and spend time in neighborhoods and check out local stores to see the element. Especially the laundromats, where the worst (poorest element) is. Then you will know what you are up against.
ROFL at the laundromats. funny. i understand what you are saying about that, but the problem is that MANY MANY MANY apartments in brooklyn wont let you have a washer/dryer, mainly because they dont have the hookups for them.
No direct hookups means patching the hoses to the sink, and let me tell you, in 2007 i've had 6 floods in my apartment because the lady upstairs fell asleep doing her laundry.
So even in the BEST of neighborhoods in brooklyn, you will still see a ton of laundromats. The people that are well-off usually drop off their clothes to be washed at 60cents a pound, while the less affluent do it themselves.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:38 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Hell yeah, I lived on the UES and there were no laundry facilities in those old walkups.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM

32 posts, read 124,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
If safety is your number one concern the worst neighborhoods for crime are in northeast Brooklyn. Bed-stuy, East Flatbush/Flatbush, Bushwish, Brownsville, Crown Heights, East NY/Cypress Hills, and in the south of BK Coney Island. In these areas no building or home sits more then 2-3 blocks max from a hot corner. The immidiate blocks around the PJ's in Red Hook and Fort Greene are real nasty. This is due to the fact the projects in those areas are buck wild and take up considerable real estate. Sunset Park is shady in sections.

Anything else is hype. Best areas in Brooklyn in terms of average city crime rates would be in Brooklyn South. Areas like Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Sheepsheads Bay, ect...

I have to say that I live in NY all my life but now living in south jersey and you have to take back what you said about Bed-sty, especially the Marcy ave side. Mod cut: inappropriate my friend's mother owns a brownstone there and jews knock on her door almost everyday to buy her house. bed-sty is a safe place to live and don't let anyone tell you different. It's coming up and most people cant affored manhattan anymore so they are taking over the bed-sty. I was not raised in bed-sty. From Bushwick but I know Brooklyn like the back of my hand and can tell you that every where you go you will find crime. If I was to go back to Brooklyn I will consider PARK SLOPE,BAYRIDGE,COBBILE HILLS, CLINTON HILLS, FORTGREENE,but let me tell you a secret. Have you ever heard of Ridgewood Queens? probably not. awesome place to live, only walking distance from Brooklyn, border line is bushwich, mostly europeans, italians, and hispanics(because they cross over from bushwick side). Bushwick is spanish land so if you like papi's or mami's and good hair salons, go to bushwick. Any way, my mom lives in ridgewood, we lived there since 1996 when my unckle bougt a four family that was worth 160,000 now worth 500,000 maybe 600,000. you will also love GLENDALE. right next to ridgewood. it's great I am telling you.

Last edited by Viralmd; 04-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM

forgot to mention, stay away from Brownsville(no good area there at all) east new york is terrible too. although they are coming up a little.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM

yes, forget having a washer and dryer at your apt, if you do not own the house, you will be making trips to the dryer, just dont leave your good name brand clothes unattended. :0)

Old 04-11-2009, 03:52 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityskape View Post
Rather than starting a new thread, i figured I'd piggyback this one. If thats a problem let me know and I'll waste server space :stickout

Anyway I am also looking for a safe neighborhood in brooklyn and have heard basically everything that was said here before.

My question is: I am finding places more in more "central" brooklyn right near Brooklyn College, specifically a block north on 26th. What neighborhood is this refered to, and how would everyone "rate" this area.

Thanks.
That would be Flatbush. The area is hit or miss depending on the block.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,226 times
I'm looking for an up and coming area in brooklyn for my fiancee and I. We'd like somewhere with a washer and dryer in the apartment. Young crowd (20's to 30's) and maybe some quaint neighborhoods closeby. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I rest my case!
I live in a building without a laundry.

I could buy my building if I wanted to.

Such "laundry" comments are more a testament to a cloistered or insular life.

I guess there are no laundries in Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, and all the other remnant neighborhoods, not to mention Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City