Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 AM

483 posts, read 854,194 times

Advertisements

On Wednesday I was waiting for the D at Bleeker and it was hot as hell on the platform. When the train finally arrived, it was packed and lo and behold, there was no AC in that damn car. I couldn't take it anymore and had to get off at Atlantic Pacific (several stops early) and take a car service to my destination. I was over the train at that point and needed air fast since I've passed out on the train before. I'm also tired of getting eaten up by these mosquitos.... I must have at least 10 bites on me. I am counting down the days till Sept 22nd. I hate summer with a passion.

Last edited by kandle; 08-10-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
I really prefer the warm weather (I am not a cold person at all) but the humidity on the east coast is just awful. I agree that you can't even enjoy the outside! I tried to go to the beach one time and had to leave in an hour because I thought I would pass out from heat stroke. I like to take walks outside too, but who can do it in this weather?? I feel really sorry for those of you that have to take the subways, those platforms are hell on earth.

I can't stand feeling sticky and like my hair is sticking to my neck. It's just really gross and then before you know it we will be freezing again. SMH. Not to mention my electric bill is INSANE.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:27 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
We arre the CHAMPIONS...we endure it.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,831 times
Yeah, it's been pretty horrible. You can't even compare it to the Caribbean/South America because in those places, it's never HUMID AS HELL as it is up in the East Coast.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Yeah, it's been pretty horrible. You can't even compare it to the Caribbean/South America because in those places, it's never HUMID AS HELL as it is up in the East Coast.
I keep expecting to start seeing PARROTS and Howler Monkeys.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I know the summers here are never particularly pleasant, but I feel this summer has just been a steambath. The rain doesn't even seem to alleviate it.

Has anyone else noticed this?
To me its been this bad pretty much since late 90s. Funny thing is I feel like i'm starting to get used to it. After a while you know how to live with it. If you go out you minimize your time during the peak heat hours, carry water, etc.

Also there are a lot of ways to lower yor elec bill. Many people don't have energy efficient acs or their ac is too small for their room so they end up running it more. You can also run the ac at higher temp or run the ac until room gets cold and then just switch to fan setting or run an actual separate fan to circulate the cool air. Another thing is dont turn on all your high use appliances at once. Con ed charges you more for that!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it is but watch how soon the heat flips to cold overnight.
c'est la vie in nyc, the city that seemingly has only 2 seasons. hot and cold.

the in-between weather here (which appeals to most people) is waaay too short

Old 08-11-2012, 08:37 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Many people don't have energy efficient acs or their ac is too small for their room so they end up running it more. You can also run the ac at higher temp or run the ac until room gets cold and then just switch to fan setting or run an actual separate fan to circulate the cool air
yes, there was a news tip piece on the NY1 channel about how a box fan or air circulator (the round shaped ones you can get in a hardware store or bed bath and beyond) really boosts the effects of an a/c by alot. now there's even the type made by dyson without any blades. it looks like a piece of weird modern art but air blasts out of it - it's weird and cool, literally. too bad it's so expensive but it seems safer for kids/pets because it's bladeless.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
it looks like a piece of weird modern art but air blasts out of it
"Blasts" is not a word I would use for the Dyson fans. Puffs, maybe.

I use two fans and one 12,000 BTU A/C. One fan blows cool air into a hallway and another in the doorway blows the air INTO the bedroom. (I pay by the number of air conditioners x 12 months per year....so 1 coists me half of what 2 would.)

Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,690 times
It's been dreadful this summer. I usually enjoy being outside but it's unbearable. And, you're right about the subway. It's like when you open the oven door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City