Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM

349 posts, read 990,480 times

Advertisements

A study showed that 36% of NYC residents are college-educated. That puts it on par with cities like Baltimore and Provo UT (both 35%), in 12th place in the US.

Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

I'm just wondering, how can a bustling cosmopolitan metropolis have such relatively low education rates? It seems to me that comparable urban centers in Europe (Paris, London, Moscow) may have higher rates among their population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times
12th out of 100 surveyed does not seem relatively low to me

Old 08-12-2012, 08:41 AM

349 posts, read 990,480 times
Yeah but compared to NYC's stature as the biggest city you would expect more. San Jose CA doesn't exactly jump to mind as a world-famous city but its rate is something like 45%.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Yeah but compared to NYC's stature as the biggest city you would expect more. San Jose CA doesn't exactly jump to mind as a world-famous city but its rate is something like 45%.
of course the largest city near silicon valley would have extremely high college education rates. ditto for SF, and likewise for boston with all of its universities

you might expect more but i don't. it's hard for a place with a huge population and a lot of traditional industry (all the shipping through NJ for instance) to have a high college degree rate. I'm impressed with us for making it that high at all

Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
12th out of 100 surveyed does not seem relatively low to me
Not only this, but look at some of the "metro areas". . . Madison, WI is a "metro area", yeah right. The only reason Madison is so high on the list is because of the university.

When I was in the job market two years ago, I interviewed in a location that supposedly had the highest concentration of Ph.D.s in the entire country. What you've got to remember is that a % is a function of a numerator and a denominator. When the denominator is small, it's easier to get a higher %.

So.... 36% of 18,000,000 people in the NY metro area is 6,480,000 people with college degrees. That's an impressive # for such a large metro area. To put things into perspective, the 6+ million college educated in NY metro is a greater population than all those that live in the Washington Metro area.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM

436 posts, read 564,928 times
New York has a lot of immigrants and lower income people that did not enroll in college, but perhaps even enrolled in a technical school or something similar. Also, those European cities are terrible comparisons since they likely aren't as diverse as New York (perhaps not London) and have totally different cultures relating to education.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Wait a min I thought IVY league educated Transplants are moving into NYC by the truckload while SUNY and CUNY educated residents are fleeing the city by the bus load. Nice find btw, Rep. Besides twelfth place is not bad, what do you expect NYC to be number one in everything?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-12-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,562 times
It's divided. In Manhattan, the number shoots to over 57%.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:39 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I'm just wondering, how can a bustling cosmopolitan metropolis have such relatively low education rates? It seems to me that comparable urban centers in Europe (Paris, London, Moscow) may have higher rates among their population.
They don't. The United States has one of the highest rates of college education in the world, higher than anywhere in Europe except Russia (where some post-secondary education, equivalent to an associate's, was mandated during the Soviet era), and about the same as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. 36% is actually a very high level of college education, relatively speaking.

Countries With The MOST College Graduates (PHOTOS)

Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
When they say College Degree, or they talking about Bachelors or above....or at least an Associate Degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City