U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,386 times

Advertisements

I was planning on going to school in the near future in NY. I have never been to Brooklyn and I had a question about the parking situation. I own a car, but do not plan on getting rid of it. Are there any neighborhoods in Brooklyn with ample parking? Preferably free, and not in a garage. I don't care how "hip" the place has to be. As long as it is affordable and I can park my car, then it will be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM

23,096 posts, read 31,260,200 times
The very few places with ample free parking are places where you would NEVER want to leave a car overnight.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

40,051 posts, read 31,748,287 times
Population density, you say? Brooklyn has 2.5 million residents. That's more than some entire states.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,383,384 times
The further south, possibly away from the subway are your best chances.

Queens would probably be even better.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM

588 posts, read 1,152,368 times
Honestly, having a car in NYC is a huge pain (unless you live in a house and have a driveway). Brooklyn isn't as bad as Manhattan, but with alternate side parking, you'll still need to move your car at least 2/3 times a week. Brooklyn Heights and Downtown Brooklyn are impossible to park. You can try Prospect Heights, Windsor Terrace, Bay Ridge, Sunset Park - there are probably others too, but you don't want to be too far out or you might as well just move to a suburb where having a car is much easier.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,077 posts, read 45,610,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The very few places with ample free parking are places where you would NEVER want to leave a car overnight.
where are those places, just in case I want to risk it?

I thought the industrial areas by East Williamsburgh might be a good plac to find ample free parking, never tried though.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM

281 posts, read 1,134,483 times
Red Hook close to the water is pretty car friendly.Close to the Battery Tunnel and pretty far from the nearest subway. Hard to get around without owning a car down there,actually.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,026,014 times
Moderator cut: Not necessary

OP, in neighborhoods where there is availabe street parking, no one wants you there! Outsiders, taking parking spaces from Locals are disdained. In some neighborhoods, your car might suffer.

Ditch the car or pay up.

There are places where you can find someone renting their driveway space and/or a space in their home's garage, for $50 to $200 per month.

Also, note that in NYC, cars must be regularly moved to allow street cleaning. The penalties for not complying are rather severe. If I recall, a parking ticket is $115 and can ballon quickly for nonpayment. Nonpayment will result in your car being towed! The cost to retrieve it will be VERY costly, not including the ticket.

In many areas, a sitting car will be stolen, vandalized, or stripped for parts!

You cannot simply park your car and leave it. Is that what you were thinking?

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-17-2012 at 12:55 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,026,014 times
Btw, where are you going to school and will be living?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM

10,919 posts, read 27,915,550 times
I would drive back to Manhattan and pay for a garage and a cab/car service back to Brooklyn before I would leave a car unattended in the parking spaces under the BQE, even for a short time. That's one place NEVER to park in Brooklyn if you value the car being in the condition it was when parked, and intact, if still there upon return.

I would agree that you should look into a parking lot, or someone's driveway/extra garage as suggested above, because cars age very quickly on the streets due to vandals, being used as parking bumpers by those who cannot parallel park, etc. on city streets. Commercial lots are not as expensive as Manhattan, and a garage is handy in winter if you need to use the car, so you do not have to clear it, or pay the lot porter/attendant to clear the car for you.

Be aware, though, that Brooklyn insurance rates are much higher than other areas of the city, and can be exponentially high in certain zip codes and for certain vehicles. I mention this because you are looking for an affordable area in Brooklyn, but it could be the car that would make it more expensive to live in Brooklyn than it would be to live in areas of Queens, for example. Compare rates, and similar coverage, i.e., if you are paying for a commercial garage in Brooklyn, get the same quote for Queens, if you are at all flexible as to borough.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or