Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,861 times

Advertisements

I will be frequenting the area this year, namely the Arthur Ave. area & NY Botanical Garden. How is the area (during the middle of the day) walking (alone) from the D Train stop on Grand Concourse to the nearby University/Garden area? It seems pretty dense in terms of activity due to the numerous shops, but I figured it was worth asking about anyway.

I assume that during the late night hours, this area is pretty seedy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Fordham Road is tacky and unattractive, but I wouldn't consider it dangerous during the day. It is a long walk to Arthur Ave/Botanical Gardens from the D train. You may want to consider taking the bus- there are several going in that direction.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:59 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,998 times
You might find it more convenient to take the #2/#5 IRT instead.

There's some good stuff in that Fordham Road area, too. There's the Bronx Library center. Across the street from that, there's a pretty good Mexican place. And, there's a stand that sells really excellent Mexican food down at Fordham Plaza.

There's also the Poe cottage.

As for crime in that area during the day, don't give it a second thought. It's quite safe.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
You might find it more convenient to take the #2/#5 IRT instead.....
Right,depending on exactly where on Fordham Road the OP is going, it might actually be a shorter walk from the Pelham Parkway stop of the 2 train.

Either walk is perfectly fine.The one from the GC on a very busy commercial strip and the one from Pelham Parkway through the Bronx Park transverse along the Zoo and Southern end of The Botanical Garden.The bx 12 bus gets from Pelham Parkway to that area in less than 5 minutes because there are no stops going through the park,The bus from the GC can be quite slow due to congestion.

And the Op shouldn't forget there is the Fordham metro north stop right where he seems to be going.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 PM

110 posts, read 300,078 times
I've never had an issue over there and I used to walk down Fordham Road all the time. Several time I've taken the Metro North there.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,861 times
Yeah, I noticed that there was a Metro North stop on the map right by the university (but it is a bit more expensive to take). I will be essentially walking from Grand Concourse up to E. Fordham Rd. and walking straight across that plus the bottom of the university fence to where I am going.

I suppose it will also be worth asking how the area is by the little more remote station for the (4 I believe) on Jerome Ave, in case I am on that line for whatever reason.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
I think it's even seedier and tacker over by Jerome(tho to be fair i really haven't been over that far west lately) especially after all the businesses close. you would also have to cross Morris and Creston which are bad side streets

Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
I was over there recently and it look okay. Monroe College is there and a new Morton Williams Supermarket opened recently making it look much better.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM

170 posts, read 311,708 times
The walk from either the 4 or D to the Fordham U gates are both fine during daylight. At night they are not too bad if the stores are still open. After 10pm it does get a little interesting if you don't know have street smarts... Also if you are a student, after 10pm Fordham has shuttle that takes you from the D to the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City