Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 AM

82 posts, read 305,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
New York City seems to have a lot of F.O.B. Asian women. In other cities, it's the opposite, e.g. in my city of Washington DC the Asian women are Americanized and mostly American-born. There are hardly any F.O.B.s in cities such as mine.

There's a tremendous difference here,

As someone who has lived in both DC and NYC i have noticed that difference in background as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
New York City seems to have a lot of F.O.B. Asian women. In other cities, it's the opposite, e.g. in my city of Washington DC the Asian women are Americanized and mostly American-born. There are hardly any F.O.B.s in cities such as mine.

There's a tremendous difference here, I can see why many posters here have written about the "submissive" character of Asian women, because they're probably describing NYC's first-generation immigrant women. There is nothing at all "submissive" or meek about American-raised Asian women, however, they are fully Westernized. I was a bit puzzled when I read these posts, since Americanized Asian women are very assertive and confident (and speak perfect American English -- they also dress a lot better than the F.O.B.s, but more on that below).

I had an earlier post here which I erased. But, to summarize the main points why I, as a white male, find Asian women quite attractive (note: I only find Americanized Asian women attractive -- not the F.O.B.s), they are these:

* They are stylish and dress well. This is by the far the most important point. Visual qualities are very important to men and American-Asian women are pretty much the only ones in this country (with the exception of Eastern-Euros, who are nowhere to be found these days, for some reason) who will wear heels, make-up, and sexy clothes.

* They have dark hair which is extremely attractive. I've talked to various friends and we all find brunettes attractive. I think someone should really do a study on the whole "Gentlemen prefer blondes" myth which seems to be the biggest hoax perpetuated on mankind LOL.

* Not religious. This is very important because this makes them flexible and easily integratable into any culture. In contrast to, for example, Latinas and Black women (both extremely religious groups), and also some European Catholics.

* Educated. Asian women tend to be well-educated and have degrees.

Let me repeat, my comments above only apply to Americanized-Asian women, i.e. those with American culture and Western looks. With regard to recently-arrived Asians who've only been in the country for less than 5 years and speak broken English, I personally do not find them attractive, although I'm sure many other men do.
This post articulates a lot of what I'd also been thinking. And I've not yet met a "submissive" asian woman here, quite the opposite. I was thinking people have been watching too much Shogun or something...

I'd add to your list of qualities: a general emotional maturity and lack of childish drama. In contrast, dating members of another group I found particularly visually attractive, I without fail (5 examples only, but enough) found them each to consider tantrums acceptable "adult" behavior and drama-creation as a prime pastime

Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
the asian ladies do things the white ladies won't do i guess..

Old 08-28-2012, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 19,516 times
Asian Women and White Men = Media propaganda

I see it more often in Movies and TV shows. (AW and WM) If they are happy then more power to them.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
THe only people I ever see speculating about or critisizing these couples are the non-asian women and the non-white men.

As far as I'm concerned, if the two adults are happy with one another then it's really no one elses business as to why they are together in the first place.

A Russian friend of mine married an Asian woman a year ago, and he couldn't be happier. He dated Russian women before, and was attracted to Latinas, but they were all basically crazy in some way. He met his current wife (whom I introduced him to) and he's been floating on air ever since.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Why do people need to stereotype? Asian women are...this, Anglo women are...that, Black women..., Latinas....

Etc. Etc.

And people use assumptions and presumptions to challenge or defend choices made by themselves or others.

I just don't understand this. Take each person as an individual and not representative of a "type" and you will be wrong less of the time.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Why do people need to stereotype? Asian women are...this, Anglo women are...that, Black women..., Latinas....

Etc. Etc.

And people use assumptions and presumptions to challenge or defend choices made by themselves or others.

I just don't understand this. Take each person as an individual and not representative of a "type" and you will be wrong less of the time.
Thank You birdinmigration. I couldn't agree more. I don't even remember who started this ridiculous thread?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM

349 posts, read 990,985 times
People stereotype because, generally speaking, stereotypes are true.

Sorry if this offends some. But stereotypes are useful and they serve a useful purpose -- they are true.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 PM

167 posts, read 306,123 times
for what its worth, I noticed this when I came to manhattan too

you should really ignore the submissive stereotype, its a front. a lot of asian women can be nice but dont confuse that for submission, they can be very calculating, and wild sexually. you know, kind of like any other girl.

You should watch "My Sassy Girl" a korean movie. Not submissive at all.

A lot of asian women that come to america are Christian, esp. from Korea or China. Even though christianity is a minor religion in china, minor in china is still 50 million people. Anyway, you can get a very relatable level of submission or lack thereof that any other american will give you.

I've taken two F.O.B. korean girls home before at the same time.

Treat them like anybody else, have fun

Also, I'm black

Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
People stereotype because, generally speaking, stereotypes are true.

Sorry if this offends some. But stereotypes are useful and they serve a useful purpose -- they are true.
Maybe in the minds of some, but I don't even want to stereotype stereotypers (stereotypists?).

People stereotype because the random world is a scary and unpredictable place.

You, Eugene, wish your racial/cultural assumptions to be true, therefore you proclaim "they are true". It doesn't make any of it true, as much as you want it to be or say it is.

Sorry to break your brain.

How much better it is to confront your fear of women or men of other cultures/religions/socioeconomics and take each person you meet to NOT be representative of that culture, just treat every person as an individual. Your cultural assumptions are YOUR baggage, not everyone else's.

It is not about being offended. It is a clear question of right or wrong. Guess which one you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City