Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM

85 posts, read 179,265 times

Advertisements

A while ago the beautiful Drake Hotel and a few other buildings were torn down:

http://a.imageshack.us/img828/9149/4...76095e7dcb.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img836/4263/4...e8f646f92b.jpg

For all this to be demolished, you'd think something amazing would be built in its place. Here's what's going to replace it:

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...0606143824.jpg

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/im...0606143514.jpg

How did this ever get approved? Aside from the beautiful architecture that was torn down for this, this thing will have a huge impact on the skyline and not in a positive way. It will stick out like a sore thumb. This is one skyscraper that New York could have done without.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-22-2012 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Copyright issue: images are owned by other sites. Post only links to the page(s) if the images are not your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Another example of NYC cannibalising itself.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,022 times
It's just a tall box...not really ugly, but not good looking either. No innovation.

There are no words.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Yeah, and what wwould be your basis for disapproval?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Thank you guys.

I was standing on the North End of the Jackie Kennedy Resevoir in the park yesterday looking South across the water. And I could not figure out what the Hell the immense rectangular prism was that looked like a thinner copy of the old WTC buildings looming over the East side of midtown.
Now I know.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
I don't think it's a good trade. Some attractive and interesting older buildings for yet another boring sterile dime-a-dozen erector set skyscraper?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thank you guys.

I was standing on the North End of the Jackie Kennedy Resevoir in the park yesterday looking South across the water. And I could not figure out what the Hell the immense rectangular prism was that looked like a thinner copy of the old WTC buildings looming over the East side of midtown.
Now I know.
This building hasn't been built yet. They're laying the foundation right now. You're probably thinking of the Trump World Tower. (Was it all black glass?)

Anyway, there's no style police in New York City, nor should there be. Unless the buildings are landmarked (which is problematic in itself because landmarking tends to become an outlet for NIMBYism rather than genuine preservation goals, and even when the goals are preservation, we can't encase the city in amber), there isn't anything anyone can do to stop a building being built within zoning guidelines.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
This building hasn't been built yet. They're laying the foundation right now. You're probably thinking of the Trump World Tower. (Was it all black glass?)

Anyway, there's no style police in New York City, nor should there be. Unless the buildings are landmarked (which is problematic in itself because landmarking tends to become an outlet for NIMBYism rather than genuine preservation goals, and even when the goals are preservation, we can't encase the city in amber), there isn't anything anyone can do to stop a building being built within zoning guidelines.
Right. Midtown Manhattan is C10 zoning, which allows for maximum high density buildings. In this case, the sky is truly the limit.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
No, I think it was white and glass/metal and it really did look like WTC of old...just thinner. It looked like it was under construction but still IMMENSE already.
(I'll try to remember my camera next time.)

I tried talking myself into some weird angulation to explain it as the Freedom Tower, but I couldn't mentally bend Manhattan that much.

So for the time being I guess I will call it the TWT. I will presume that with reflections from a distance (like 2 miles?), black glass and clear glass might not look all that different.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No, I think it was white and glass/metal and it really did look like WTC of old...just thinner. It looked like it was under construction but still IMMENSE already.
(I'll try to remember my camera next time.)

I tried talking myself into some weird angulation to explain it as the Freedom Tower, but I couldn't mentally bend Manhattan that much.

So for the time being I guess I will call it the TWT. I will presume that with reflections from a distance (like 2 miles?), black glass and clear glass might not look all that different.
Oh, maybe you're thinking of One57. That building actually is pretty attractive, IMO, or at least it will be when finished. It's close to topping out now.

Renderings:

Under construction:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City