Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am actually completely independent, and not a Democrat. They are just as bad as the other party (well almost). My point has nothing to do with politics, and all to do with reason and logic. Is it a coincidence that those countries with the most regulations and workers protections are the ones we are always pointing to with the highest education, longest life expectancies, healthiest, safest, strongest economies, comprehensive safety nets, health care, etc: European economies, Japan, Australia etc. And those defined as "free" using All American's definition, with few/no regulations, little/no worker protections, limited/no gun controls, no safety nets, etc are all 3rd world countries: India, African countries, southeast Asian, etc.

It sounds great to spin nonsense rhetoric of "freedom", but the reality is we know what happens when we dismantle regulations and eliminate worker protections, safety nets etc under the guise of "freedom"...if you want to become INDIA say so. I would prefer to be Germany.

Alkonost: You are spinning more rhetoric. People aren't getting help from safety nets? HUH! You were denied assistance based on race? RIGHT. Lemme guess what else: JP Morgan Chase really cares about customers, that is their sole goal, and earning money isn't even on the radar for them, if you let the Food industry regulate themselves, they will do a better job because they have only the customer's interest at heart, and of course we should "unleash" Wall St because they work better unregulated. Did I miss anything?
Democrats, Republicans, independents are all labels, all three apspire to the same goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Safety nets such as welfare don't help. Look at all those women on welfare who have to upsell their vaginas to make an extra buck to pay rent, purchase Xmas gifts or go to Dominican republic for vacation. Look at fellas on welfare,selling prescription drugs, robbing people or even selling drugsoj theside. Safety nets only help people in the long run by putting them in prison.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:11 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Alkonost: You are spinning more rhetoric. People aren't getting help from safety nets? HUH! You were denied assistance based on race? RIGHT. Lemme guess what else: JP Morgan Chase really cares about customers, that is their sole goal, and earning money isn't even on the radar for them, if you let the Food industry regulate themselves, they will do a better job because they have only the customer's interest at heart, and of course we should "unleash" Wall St because they work better unregulated. Did I miss anything?
I asked a serious question that you still haven't answered. How does one's freedom to smoke and eat the way they see fit deny anyone the right to "free speech" to say "I told you so" once their health goes downhill? I'm waiting.

What I said was "People game the system and many of those who need the help never get it." And yes, I was denied over race. A black friend of mine in the same financial situation was granted benefits that I was denied. It happened to be on her suggestion that I visit the department of human services to apply, and I did. The person behind the desk took one look at me and said "no". The only difference between my scenario and my friend's scenario was our race. I don't need to draw you a picture. I also have a family member who is disabled from being hit by a car and suffered a severe back injury, she is currently competing for benefits against with countless blights on society who are claiming disability through fraud. One jerk in my building is an fat, lazy **** claiming he can't work because his weight has crippled him, yet he has no trouble carrying is groceries up 4 flights of stairs or going out every night to binge-drink on the taxpayer's dime. If I knew the spelling of his last name I'd report him for fraud myself.

Comparing private services to government services is not a valid comparison.

As for the food industry, you'd put your foot in your mouth once realizing all of the government endorsed dietary requirements and guidelines are controlled by the food industry lobbyists.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:26 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
When arguing with Sobro, try to remember that he immediately goes to the highest extreme. For example:

You support gun rights? Sobro says you want to arm every child.
You want more freedom? Sobro says you're hoping for Somalia.
You don't want more bike lanes? You want perpetual gridlock and every bike rider dead.

He doesn't have the ability to think critically, only to be critical.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Yeah I've noticed. At one point in time I saw things just as extreme in black and white, especially regarding social services and the "safety net" we all pay into through taxes. Then I ran across very hard times, about 15 years ago and asked "the system" for help. While I was declined, I'm better for it, I had to rely on myself to climb out of poverty and it worked damn well, and it made be see things very differently.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:49 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Is there any hope of relating this thread to NY and NYC, in particular, or is this a discussion for another forum? Right now, the discussion is far from being a NY topic, much less NYC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I like to check the source of articles that seem to be nonsense.
In this case it is THE MERCATUS CENTER:

Quote:
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University (GMU) in the United States is a non-profit[SIZE=3][1][/SIZE] American market-oriented research, education, and outreach think tank affiliated with the Koch family. It works with policy experts, lobbyists, and government officials to connect academic learning and real-world practice. The Mercatus Center takes its name from the Latin word meaning "markets", and reflects the Center's free market-based approach to solving public policy problems.

'Nuff said. It's right-wing claptrap.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I like to check the source of articles that seem to be nonsense.
In this case it is THE MERCATUS CENTER:

'Nuff said. It's right-wing claptrap.
This is also a ABC news study.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Lives are dictated because of loss personal & economic freedom. I dunno what this sentence even means....you are far more free and able to be successful when everyone is playing fairly and by the rules = regulated. If you don't want regulations, and want companies and people to be free to run rampant and do whatever they want, India would be a great place for you...very free from regulations and you are free to be exploited, cheated, and injured by anyone, any business, at any time. Can't imagine why India isn't on top with so many freedoms?
Its easy to understand this sentence.

You can be regulated without infringing on personal liberties. Bloomberg is leading the charge for the city and the state is following his lead.

Quote:
What does high taxes have to do with freedom? Are you more free when you pay less taxes? If so, move to Mexico..the tax rate is 5%..VERY FREE
Loss of income (Very simple)

Quote:
Public spending public welfare, hospitals, electric power, transit, and employee retirement...all things TO TAKE CARE OF PEOPLE. Want the freedom to be destitute living on the streets, with no reliable electricity and no safety nets if you lose your job or are old? If so, move to Nigeria, there are zero of these things.... VERY FREE.
Name one country or state that has prospered with these social handouts.
California & Europe are great examples of misery & failure.

Quote:
Strictest gun laws in the country. If you prefer places to live with no gun control, you will enjoy life in Afghanistan..tons of guns for everyone at any age to do whatever they want with them... VERY FREE.
Guns are not legal for citizens in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Strict smoking laws. Nobody is keeping you from smoking, but they are stopping you from INFRINGING ON MY RIGHT NOT TO BREATHE YOUR SECOND HAND SMOKE. Remember, you like freedom so long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights, so you should like strict smoking laws.
Incorrect again. People who smoke are not allowed in certain places. That is loss of freedom.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just out of curiosity, what 'personal freedoms' do you personally believe you've lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City