Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM

19 posts, read 26,802 times

Advertisements

My biggest question is how to be able to afford living in Manhattan. I am married with two daughters whoses ages are 3 and 3 months.This is my dream school to go to, but if I can't afford living here then its not going to happen. My wife can work, she has a degree in Photography and has been in sports/news reporting for 6 years now. I just need to know how to be able to afford living in the city or where around the city I could possibly live at so I can go to this school. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,251,932 times
What would be your budget? A two bedroom apartment in NYC is very expensive. Even more expensive is a law degree from NYU. I've read story after story of unemployed law grads with lots of debt. I'm not necessarily saying don't do it, but what is your financial plan?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM

That is what we are trying to figure out. An internship at the NY Times pays 4k a month and could lead to a possible job after that. I would like to be an attorney in NYC but yes I have heard of the horror stories that go along with having a law degree and no job. But my dream is to be an attorney and those jobs around here are even harder to come along by than in NYC.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 PM

420 posts, read 820,971 times
Live in the boroughs if you are worried about your budget. Safe areas in Brooklyn and Queens can be run just under 2,000 for a two bedroom.

Law school is expensive, but NYU is one of the best. Congratulations if you were accepted there!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Would the added expenses add up with living in either Brooklyn or Queens? And I do not plan on moving out of NYC after graduation, so what are the schools like in these areas and how hard is it to move once/if I get a better paying job after graduation.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Also, the main reason I am wanting to stay in Manhattan so that I can just walk to campus not having to take public trans po. I am not afraid of it as I have been in NYC a lot just not lived there.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 PM

420 posts, read 820,971 times
Living in Manhattan, taking care of children, and having the convenience of walking to campus will set you back a ridiculous number. A two-bedroom apartment living in a decent area of Manhattan where there are decent schools should set you back at least $3200/month in my opinion. The area near NYU is one of the most expensive in the city, and you can expect to pay more than likely $3200/month there.

Check out Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, Astoria and Long Island City, Forest Hills (all 3 in Queens). You can get nice apartments in fairly safe areas for cheap, and the schooling situation I am unfamiliar with in most of those areas outside of Astoria.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,781,285 times
First, and foremost, have you been accepted? Otherwise, the issue is moot!

Second, if so have you inquired re married student housing at NYU?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Yes I have been accepted. I was waitlisted until next year. But in order for my wife to feel comfortable in moving we have to have enough money to be able to live. The whole school thing I can deal with. Around here they start school at 6. What age do they start school in nyc? This is about us being able to figure out what school is best for our family to attend to. I do not want 80k in law school debt here where we live and no job, although yes i do know that I can go to nyu and have more with still no job.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Also NYU family housing is roughly about 2400 a month. The only difference is that your rent is included in your tuition bill not out of your pocket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City