Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,576 times

Advertisements

So I was just given the options to choose which projects I wanted to live in and I dont know what to choose, my options are:

*Mind you I have never lived in a PJ's before

In Brooklyn:
1. Kingsborough
2.Langston Hughes
3.Wortman
4.Pink
5.Seth Low
6. Tilden
7.Unity Plaza
8. Van Dyke

Queens:
1. Baisley Park
2. Hammel
3. Latimer Gardens
4. Ocean Bay (Bayside)
5. Queensbridge South
6. Redfern...

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I have children also...which is safest for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,529,263 times
what on earth would make you want to live in the projects??????????????

couldnt you find something better??????????????

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM

340 posts, read 1,183,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmlrcn View Post
So I was just given the options to choose which projects I wanted to live in and I dont know what to choose, my options are:

*Mind you I have never lived in a PJ's before

In Brooklyn:
1. Kingsborough
2.Langston Hughes
3.Wortman
4.Pink
5.Seth Low
6. Tilden
7.Unity Plaza
8. Van Dyke

Queens:
1. Baisley Park
2. Hammel
3. Latimer Gardens
4. Ocean Bay (Bayside)
5. Queensbridge South
6. Redfern...

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I have children also...which is safest for them.

I wouldnt take any of the brooklyn choices. All those bk projects seem like theyre in brownsville.
I would think the safest would be Latimer in Queens.
However, I think Queensbridge is in the best location if u need access to manhattan.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,951,234 times
How about HOLMES or ISAAC HOUSES in Manhattan (First Avenue in the low 92nd to 96th?)
They seem quite safe, well kept and near good neighborhoods...nice river views.
They seem more senior than "ethnic."

How much choice do you get in NYCHA? Can you pick a borough or a neighborhood? Can you sign up for a particular project?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,540,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about HOLMES or ISAAC HOUSES in Manhattan (First Avenue in the low 92nd to 96th?)
They seem quite safe, well kept and near good neighborhoods...nice river views.
They seem more senior than "ethnic."

How much choice do you get in NYCHA? Can you pick a borough or a neighborhood? Can you sign up for a particular project?
I agree with Kefir. Stay away from anything close to Brownsville if you value your life!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,823,935 times
Latimer Gardens although Queensbridge isn't too bad either.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM

32 posts, read 38,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
what on earth would make you want to live in the projects??????????????

couldnt you find something better??????????????
I don't think anyone ever WANTS to live in the projects, but may have to for reasons you obviously don't understand.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,312,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandria915 View Post
I don't think anyone ever WANTS to live in the projects, but may have to for reasons you obviously don't understand.
this family chose to move to the projects:

The Life and Death of Pvt. Danny Chen -- New York Magazine

The family lived in an Elizabeth Street apartment so tiny that the stove and fridge occupied a corner of the living room. There was only one bedroom, and for ten years Danny slept in a bed just a few inches from his parents. He was not typically one to complain, but in middle school he made a sign and posted it on the bedroom wall: “I want a room!” Not long after, his parents got him one, moving out of Chinatown to find it. The new place was more spacious, with two bedrooms and a separate kitchen, but its location was much less safe: in a housing project on Avenue D.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,951,234 times
Don;t move into a NYCHA project unless you have to.
Explore 80/20 housing instead. If you have a bit more, go for Mitchell Lama...those that are left.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM

18,408 posts, read 31,529,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandria915 View Post

um, wrong, I think many people do, otherwise there would be no waiting lists for years and years.

please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City