U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
Angry how can I legalize my basement apartment in Brooklyn, NY

I purchased the house in 1996, with a basement apartment, it has a front door and a back door and it also has two windows and also an enters to the other apartment in the house. It is a three family apartment, not including the basement. Well the inspector from DOB came due to someone reporting me living in the basement and it turns out that the basement apartment is no legal. They want me to break up the apartment, can anyone tell me can I make this apartment legal and how do I go about doing this?
I really don't have much money, I am retired on disability which means a fix income, not much to play around with and I need to live in the basement apartment so that I would not too many stair to climb up.
I need some help!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lope2511 View Post
I purchased the house in 1996, with a basement apartment, it has a front door and a back door and it also has two windows and also an enters to the other apartment in the house. It is a three family apartment, not including the basement. Well the inspector from DOB came due to someone reporting me living in the basement and it turns out that the basement apartment is no legal. They want me to break up the apartment, can anyone tell me can I make this apartment legal and how do I go about doing this?
I really don't have much money, I am retired on disability which means a fix income, not much to play around with and I need to live in the basement apartment so that I would not too many stair to climb up.
I need some help!!!!!!!
Hi, do you by chance still live in the basement?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
If it is your home you can live anywhere you want to.

but, do not do anything to make it so you rent to a stranger. Keep it for yourself.

and dont EVER let anyone in your home to inspect, ever.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM

11,051 posts, read 10,322,041 times
Quote:
I am retired on disability which means a fix income
You are also collecting 3 rents so don't holler poverty too loudly.

Since the City is already involved, ask a building inspector what you need to do to make the basement into a liveable, legal space. Next step is an architect. Of course, if you are living in a room next to the boiler and the garbage, well the just forget it. I once lived in a nice 30 family but slumlord had about 10 illegals in a hole in the basement behind the garbage...one toilet and plywood laid over dirt for floors. a nice term would have been cesspool.

I really hate the idea of being forced to "break the apartment up." That's just NUTS if it's a real apartment. My sense of frugality rebels.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-06-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM

141 posts, read 130,506 times
Forget about trying to make it legal, going to cost you A LOT of money.
Here are few items you will need to make it legal
-sprinklers in every apartment
-fire rated doors everywhere
-very possibly need to dig the basement to allow for a higher ceiling height
-wheelchair access ramp outside to one apartment

Then it will take between 1-2 years if everything goes ok to legalize. My advice, rent out the basement to be used in conjunction with the 1st floor if possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City