Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 PM

466 posts, read 901,981 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty close to getting a job offer in NYC and will be relocating with my fiancee. We live in Arkansas right now and the hot, dry weather we've had has, for some reason, resulted in an absolute infestation of black widow spiders at our apartment. Fortunately we have only found them outside our apartment, but unfortunately they have all been within feet of our front door, and one had taken up house along our door frame. Our neighbors got a hose and sprayed down the front of the apartment, which sent them scattering. We ended up killing seven of them but I'm guessing there are more, and now I'm worried they're going to try to move inside.

Anyway, we've practically been begging the universe to send us to NYC so we can escape this dystopian post-spiderpocalyptic hell, but I know New York has its own pest problems.

What's up there aside from cockroaches, bedbugs, and hipsters? Are poisonous spiders a problem? We've got black widows, obviously, and brown recluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Well the only pest comparable to the black widows of the hot South, in New York City, are the landlords who are an endless torment.
They don't poison you with one bite but are more vampirelike over a long period, draining you slowly.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
I would add mice and rats, but if you're careful when you select an apartment, you shouldn't have to deal with that. I guess if you ended up with mice, a cat would solve the problem.

As far as I know, we don't have any poisonous spiders, snakes, or other insects. Our pests are not usually life threatening, although I have heard bedbugs can push some people over the edge.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well the only pest comparable to the black widows of the hot South, in New York City, are the landlords who are an endless torment.
They don't poison you with one bite but are more vampirelike over a long period, draining you slowly.
LMFAO This had me going because I read this wondering what could be comparable to a family of black widow spiders. Good stuff.

In the city it depends on the area. Some places get ants, spiders (No black widows from what I can tell), roaches, mice, rats and I've even had squirrels climb into my window before.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM

We've got a cat so fortunately mice won't be a problem for us. She's pretty good about taking care of flies and other small critterbugs that get in the apartment.

I think our biggest concern will be cockroaches and perhaps bedbugs if we get really unlucky. I hear they are very difficult to get rid of. I've dealt with cockroaches before so I'm not too anxious about them.

Here in Arkansas we have poisonous spiders, many species of poisonous snakes, scorpions, mosquitoes that sometimes carry West Nile virus, ticks that sometimes carry Lyme disease, chiggers, leeches, and so on. And that's just the animals... we've got poison ivy all over the woods, too.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
LMFAO This had me going because I read this wondering what could be comparable to a family of black widow spiders. Good stuff.

In the city it depends on the area. Some places get ants, spiders (No black widows from what I can tell), roaches, mice, rats and I've even had squirrels climb into my window before.
Haha, I've never had problems with squirrels getting in the house here. They can become a problem if you have a bird feeder, but other than that they usually aren't a problem. Our gun laws make it possible to just shoot them if they **** you off too much.

The raccoons can be bothersome if you live in a rural enough area. They're pretty clever and can get into closed trash cans, garages, and sometimes houses. They'll also eat your dog's food if you leave it outside.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
If you consider hipsters pests, maybe you should re-consider your move.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
If you consider hipsters pests, maybe you should re-consider your move.
I already live among them here, it's a college town. Pests do not render an area unlivable.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brehmsstrahlung View Post
We've got a cat so fortunately mice won't be a problem for us. She's pretty good about taking care of flies and other small critterbugs that get in the apartment.

I think our biggest concern will be cockroaches and perhaps bedbugs if we get really unlucky. I hear they are very difficult to get rid of. I've dealt with cockroaches before so I'm not too anxious about them.

Here in Arkansas we have poisonous spiders, many species of poisonous snakes, scorpions, mosquitoes that sometimes carry West Nile virus, ticks that sometimes carry Lyme disease, chiggers, leeches, and so on. And that's just the animals... we've got poison ivy all over the woods, too.
Man that's a lot to worry about. You have kids? I would stress everyday if I had to worry about half this stuff finding my children.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
Man that's a lot to worry about. You have kids? I would stress everyday if I had to worry about half this stuff finding my children.
No, no kids yet. I spent half my childhood running around in the woods and the other half playing video games. Looking back, the days that I left the house in the morning and came back home when it started getting dark were the most memorable. When you grow up in that kind of environment, you learn how to avoid those things. Some things you can't totally avoid, like mosquitoes and ticks, but the snakes, spiders, and scorpions aren't bad if you're careful. It's not like they're everywhere all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City