Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM

115 posts, read 318,060 times

Advertisements

I don’t even live in a large city that is expensive like NYC, and I still see it happen quite a bit. There are many reasons though, so its not as easy to stereotype individuals into any classifications.

Sometimes people do not have anyone that they know that they can live with as a roommate in the specific city they live in so are forced to choose between either parents, or strangers. This doesn’t mean they are antisocial. It means that all of their friends are either: married, not looking to move, or not individuals who share their ideals/morals. Sometimes the parents are the better choice, being parents that are easy to live with and don’t treat them like children still.

Some individuals are still so immature that they would rather keep a comfortable lifestyle then be on their own and struggle a bit first, still wanting to be nurtured. I cannot at all understand this mentality at all, but I do see it quite a bit.

Others end up in circumstances that are beyond their control. For instance a parent becomes ill, or loses their job unable to find full-time employment. Said individuals moves back temporarily (hopefully) to help with the bills and medical expenses.

Of course, there are many 20 somethings that cannot find full time employment, or work that would pay a livable salary so they are forced to make the temporary situation back home. Or perhaps a baby pops into the picture and their once-livable salary becomes unlivable. Many of them, saving money to move to a different city with better employment opportunities, and the only real way to save enough money is to move back home for cheap.

This list of reasons could go on and on. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that brought his own house, so I am renting out a room for a reasonable rate. Not everyone is as fortunate though. I’d never be able to move back home though. It isn’t even an option. 18 year old, my parents helped me move, handed me a mini-fridge and $20, and said “have fun in college”. 7 years later I know how to support myself financially.

Lastly, some mentioned how they think relationships might be affected with living at home. I would have to agree to an extent. I am dating someone who is 22 right now and I get annoyed he is still at home. It’s not a deal-breaker, but very annoying. I’m sure there are a lot of others who feel the same. Whenever I want to make him dinner, whenever I want to watch a movie cuddling up on a cough, whenever I want to hang out to share about my day…. (the list could go on and on)..I have to invite him to my place. It gets annoying. Parents are nice and all, but you cannot get to know someone when your constantly worried about looking “proper” in the eyes of the parents that are watching or listening close by. If he didn't have other factors in his life that he was extra mature about: work ethic, financially stable, good future father figure, etc, then I may not have dated him at all because of it unless he specified future intentions of moving out in the near future. How many agree with me on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,336,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
They actually DO get overtime! The work weeks are not 80 hours though. We also have free food, snacks, sodas and something called summer Fridays. The office closes at 2PM on Friday during the summer.

I think I just let out a secret: my industry is an "unknown" high paying entry level spring board. Though it's not all rosy. Looking at opinions of my company specifically, it's clearly toted as a great place to start your career then move on to one of the big media or internet companies (think Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc and a lot of people do end up working for them after they leave my company). If they stick around, they try to move into sales which is typically going to push them into 6 figures.
The digital media industry in NYC is very low key. Especially for its pay rates. I think it just gets overshadowed by Finance and Law in that segment.
I have a friend who's in ad sales and he clears well over 6 figures (all in comp) 5 years out of college. He graduated with an English degree to boot.

It's a great industry which is growing and full of young people and good perks.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,336,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annagurl333 View Post

Lastly, some mentioned how they think relationships might be affected with living at home. I would have to agree to an extent. I am dating someone who is 22 right now and I get annoyed he is still at home. It’s not a deal-breaker, but very annoying. I’m sure there are a lot of others who feel the same. Whenever I want to make him dinner, whenever I want to watch a movie cuddling up on a cough, whenever I want to hang out to share about my day…. (the list could go on and on)..I have to invite him to my place. It gets annoying. Parents are nice and all, but you cannot get to know someone when your constantly worried about looking “proper” in the eyes of the parents that are watching or listening close by. If he didn't have other factors in his life that he was extra mature about: work ethic, financially stable, good future father figure, etc, then I may not have dated him at all because of it unless he specified future intentions of moving out in the near future. How many agree with me on this?
You're not connecting a few things here.

His work ethic is a sign of maturity and intelligence and these are the factors that pushed him to live at home. Why? So that he can be financially stable.
He did the math and assessed the cost/benefit ratio and realized that he's way better of living at home.

For many like myself it's a purely financial calculation. It's not about wanting to be coddled or living carefree. It's simply a fact of attempting to set oneself up for a better financial future.

It's the same with having children. Having children is great but have them too early and they can ruin your financial situation. Life is very much about timing. Move out too early on your own and you can dig yourself into a hole. I've seen it happen time and again.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 AM

629 posts, read 1,231,813 times
Quote:
I don’t even live in a large city that is expensive like NYC, and I still see it happen quite a bit. There are many reasons though, so its not as easy to stereotype individuals into any classifications.

Sometimes people do not have anyone that they know that they can live with as a roommate in the specific city they live in so are forced to choose between either parents, or strangers. This doesn’t mean they are antisocial. It means that all of their friends are either: married, not looking to move, or not individuals who share their ideals/morals. Sometimes the parents are the better choice, being parents that are easy to live with and don’t treat them like children still.

Some individuals are still so immature that they would rather keep a comfortable lifestyle then be on their own and struggle a bit first, still wanting to be nurtured. I cannot at all understand this mentality at all, but I do see it quite a bit.

Others end up in circumstances that are beyond their control. For instance a parent becomes ill, or loses their job unable to find full-time employment. Said individuals moves back temporarily (hopefully) to help with the bills and medical expenses.

Of course, there are many 20 somethings that cannot find full time employment, or work that would pay a livable salary so they are forced to make the temporary situation back home. Or perhaps a baby pops into the picture and their once-livable salary becomes unlivable. Many of them, saving money to move to a different city with better employment opportunities, and the only real way to save enough money is to move back home for cheap.

This list of reasons could go on and on. I am fortunate enough to have a friend that brought his own house, so I am renting out a room for a reasonable rate. Not everyone is as fortunate though. I’d never be able to move back home though. It isn’t even an option. 18 year old, my parents helped me move, handed me a mini-fridge and $20, and said “have fun in college”. 7 years later I know how to support myself financially.

Makes sense to me. You are fortunate enough to have gotten by on your own but many 20 somethings I see with cushy living conditions on their own had help from mommy and daddy. This economy isn't doing to well and a huge percentage of college graduates can't make enough to pay rent in NYC. Let alone the percentage who can't even find a job. I myself have met people who literally work just for spending money (beer and partying). Their living expenses and school debt is covered by their parents. Must be nice. When I was dating my wife she moved in with me a little early because her living situation with a friend went sour. She's from upstate so her choices were move in with me until she finished school or leave school and move back upstate with her parents (Her college didn't have dorms). Lucky for us we got along great and now we're married.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,312,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The digital media industry in NYC is very low key. Especially for its pay rates. I think it just gets overshadowed by Finance and Law in that segment.
I have a friend who's in ad sales and he clears well over 6 figures (all in comp) 5 years out of college. He graduated with an English degree to boot.

It's a great industry which is growing and full of young people and good perks.
This is 100% accurate and I agree wholehearted. Want to make good money in NYC but don't want to work in finance or legal? Work in digital media (but not at an ad agency, they tend to pay very low starting salaries). You are right, it is very under rated as an industry but to state the obvious, digital media and the internet in general is BIG business. People generally think of Cali as the hub for this type of industry but it's actually huge in NYC. All of the big silicon valley companies have large offices in NYC and there is a very large presence of digital start ups in NYC too.

Now back to the OP- I myself actually lived at home for 2 years before moving out. I think it depends on the objectives of the individual. I wanted to save a bit of money and as time progressed, I realized I wanted to use that savings to buy a small co-op in the Bronx. So my jump from living at home to living on my own was a big one.

Some people don't want to (or need to?) live at home after graduation- and I don't think it's a money thing at all. There are enough posts on this forum that speak to "making it" in NYC on less than stellar salaries- say $35K (you live in Queens or South Brooklyn and have a roommate!) However, I think that once you start pushing into your late 20s, have a salary that can support independence, you yourself don't need to support your family, and you are not still saving for a specific [short term] objective, it's time to make the move out.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,605 times
Quote:
I work in digital media. It's a research firm. New hires on my team will come in about $50K-$55K (they are out by 6PM, no 80 hour work weeks!). The more technical analyst roles for the new hires are probably higher ~ $60K-$65K (their hours are longer but not 80 hours). I think one of the other teams that supports my team has the lowest entry salary. Theirs might be around $45K (they are out by 5PM)
Hey Jad2k!

Is it okay if I DM you with a couple of questions about your field? I'm working on a degree now that I think might be applicable to that, and I just had a couple of questions, but didn't want to hijack this thread.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM

917 posts, read 1,999,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The 10 Cities With The Most Young Adults Living With Their Parents - Business Insider

Click and read the above link. New York city is one of the highest rate in the country where young Adults live with parents, probably they highest per urban area over all. I'm in my late 20s I can afford to live on my own as well but, still looking for a better job and then maybe move somewhere where the grass is a little bit greener, well maybe unless my building is converted into a coop maybe I stay. Times are rough and desperate times calls for desperate measures and sometimes it requires everyone in an household to put their all their eggs in a basket collectively. Me, I pay bills and rent and I try to keep the apartment financially afloat as well as other siblings. Also COL as well as quality of living gets in the way. Many New Yorkers have sick parents and can not afford full time home aide health worker to take care of sickly parent or parents. Most of my native New Yorker friends live with parents, even single mother NYC women share apartments with parents. Only Transplants I know of my age live alone that's if they can afford it.
Hey fellow guyanese! The bolded is what I always thought as well but when I spoke with a friend it seemed odd to her that most of my peers lived at home.

Quote:
Of all the young/recent grads at my company, I only know of one that lives at home. The others are in roommate situations and sharing with 2 or 3 others- usually in Manhattan. The entry level pay at my company is about $55K
55K is a great entry level salary.

Quote:

Now back to the OP- I myself actually lived at home for 2 years before moving out. I think it depends on the objectives of the individual. I wanted to save a bit of money and as time progressed, I realized I wanted to use that savings to buy a small co-op in the Bronx. So my jump from living at home to living on my own was a big one.
I was thinking of doing this but I was thinking maybe I should just rent a place before I make a decision to buy a co-op or condo.

For those that say they couldn't imagine still living at home, I feel you. I thought the same way when I was in college but things happen.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,938,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Hey fellow guyanese! The bolded is what I always thought as well but when I spoke with a friend it seemed odd to her that most of my peers lived at home.

55K is a great entry level salary.

I was thinking of doing this but I was thinking maybe I should just rent a place before I make a decision to buy a co-op or condo.

For those that say they couldn't imagine still living at home, I feel you. I thought the same way when I was in college but things happen.
Is your peer a native New Yorker or Transplant? From my observation I notice twenty something transplants move to nyc pr any urban areas these days as a right passage into becoming independent.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Is your peer a native New Yorker or Transplant? From my observation I notice twenty something transplants move to nyc pr any urban areas these days as a right passage into becoming independent.
She's a native that's why it's strange to me that she disagreed.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I can see how that would be annoying. But like someone else said he may be living at home to save money and be more financially responsible which is always a good trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
i agree with whats been written, do you guys ever encounter somoeone from the opposite sex who wont date you because ur in ur mid to late 20s and live with ur parents?
I never encountered that but the guys I dated did live at home too. I couldn't judge them for that because I'm living with family also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: