Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times

Advertisements

"Back in Athens GA most people came from a similar mind set, spoke English, were long term Americans and were middle class. While we all had our differences in personality, we were enough alike and shared a bond through culture, language and southern hospitality that I had an easy time making friends and chatting with regular folks like me."

The daughter of a close relative just graduated from Vanderbilt University in Nashville. She is born and raised in NYC. Went to a top exam school, got upper 700's in her SAT's, full academic scholarship to Vanderbilt and did very well.

She loved school but said this about the southern mentality: They are still so separate if they are whites! They do not associate with African Americans if they are white - it is a much more separate society even now.

She said that they are also more concerned with image and fitting in.

I dislike NYC for certain reasons: I happen to hate the crowds, the filth, the noise, the dirt, the crassness and aggression, the honking of bully drivers, the bizarre so-called cool people who say they are "artists", etc.

But I love the fact that anybody who is not "typical" will be accepted, that my neighborhood has 3 lesbian couples, two with kids and no one even cares, our African American professional family fit in with our Irish and Jewish and Italian neighbors just fine...and people don't think that the word "liberal" and "left wing" is a dirty word. Nor do we think twice if a relative, say, Irish American, marries someone from, say India or a country in Africa, etc. NO BIG DEAL. I love that open tolerance.

Oh, yes, and I love that in NY I never hear people saying "God tell me to be this, God knows we must have our country do that" and ascribing their own beliefs to some made up phony God. And I do believe in God: But not one that I can truly judge what He wants of me. I dislike the arrogance of southern conservatives, in other words, as if THEY have the answer to everything. From "God" of course: They are a mouthpiece of God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM

75 posts, read 107,384 times
From the OP:

I thought this was a nice post. I like immigrants and people of color and welcome diversity but the level of it is incredble in NEW YORK CITY and I suspect that most people if they say it or not are overwelmed by it and thus while they say they embrace it, they really don't. That is why each group has broken up into their own groups. Back in GA I befriended many immigrants but they did not lsolate themselves into their own groups like in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Dear Posters:

This guy sounds like he can't stand diversity or anyone who is not like him. He's just not used to what we have here in NY. You know what? I live on an extremely diverse slightly upper middle class street in Queens. People are from Hong Kong, Columbia, Argentina, Greece, Trinidad, and America - are Irish American, Italian American, etc. within about a 15 house spread!

Is my point that I like this? No, as a matter of fact I wish to death I could finally live around mostly people from my background. We would be able to have conversations based on familiar experiences.

So, I do not condemn the poster. He just misses where he came from. He's being honest.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,733 times
Quote:
Not eating animals, being a vegan, is not what I was talking about, although I deeply admire people who do not eat or use animal products.

What I was talking about was the sport of hunting. People can give me the long boring tired line all they want about how they kill to provide food but it is of course, nowadays, a big fat lie.

A lie.

They hunt because they feel they can justify the PLEASURE of going out and tracking down and killing a wild animal.

They love to kill animals and chase them down.

It is a low life "sport". It is mean and nasty. It is not necessary. And it often involves horrific mental and physical suffering.

I won't mince words. These animals deserve better.

OK, off the soapbox - back to the topic at hand..Or I will have to start a new thread and don't want to.
How about hunting for purposes of population control and prevention of property damage? What are your views on this?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
How about hunting for purposes of population control and prevention of property damage? What are your views on this?
Good question: It is not ever (underlined) necessary to hunt and kill for population control.

Please just Google a little about this topic: You see, our culture ASSUMES that the animals must be hunted and killed whereas, if you do a little reading up on this, you will learn how zoologists and wildlife conservationists have demonstrated that this is not the point, is not only inhumane but is not necessary.

I listed some great animal protection organizations earlier: They are not stupid and know as well as the next person that there are many bears, wolves, deer, geese, etc. who have come to cause problems for humans as well as some habitats: But what is the kneejerk solution, the lazy inhumane and illiterate solution? Shoot them. Not necessary EVER or needed.

But you have to care enough to do the research.

People who don't have feelings about the rights of animals to live in concert with humans will come up with a lot of factually incorrect, lazy and, frankly, hateful reasons why they ought to be able to go out and hunt and kill. It's all a farse and a tragic one.

They really just don't care about the animals: That's the REAL reason.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
From the OP:

I thought this was a nice post. I like immigrants and people of color and welcome diversity but the level of it is incredble in NEW YORK CITY and I suspect that most people if they say it or not are overwelmed by it and thus while they say they embrace it, they really don't. That is why each group has broken up into their own groups. Back in GA I befriended many immigrants but they did not lsolate themselves into their own groups like in NYC.
See, this is where you are wrong. You frankly don't know what you are talking about: I have lived here far longer than you: I was born and raised in NY and also lived in NE for 25 years.

No, Regular Folk, it is YOU who feels that way, and not everyone else!

You don't understand this: People of various ethnic groups will love the diversity in NY but that doesn't mean that they don't also love living near people of their same ethnic background. They like BOTH things.

Don't assume that everyone feels as you do. Many do not.

Many people of color, also, are so relieved and grateful to live in a City where you can be accepted and welcomed fully regardless of your color or ethnicity and can live just about anywhere you want in NYC without fear of being persecuted for your color or race or ethnicity. This is just not the same thing across America.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
Quote:
I sympathize with most of your post, but, my friend, you think that HUNTING!!!! IS ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR?

To go and out and hunt down a defenseless animal for the sport (and don't tell me you use the meat - it's all a rationalization for the FUN of KILLING a defenseless animal) is truly sick behavior, very immoral and cruel...and you get the point.

It is unacceptable behavior.
You are sadly mistaken. You have very little clue as to what hunting is about. I have many friends who hunt and they always use the meat. Maybe next time you walk to your favorite grocery store you can think about how nicely those animals in the cellophane wrapped containers was treated.

Or maybe when you are driving and you smack a deer and watch it die slowly? Is that a better way? Most hunters are respectful of the animals they kill. They use as much of the deer as possible. I have ruined many vehicles due to deer and every time they died horribly.

I hope this country goes through a return to basics due to some sort of collapse. The mush headed animal lovers of the world will starve given that most can't survive unless their food is placed in a bag for them. You don't just walk out and shoot a deer. You HUNT them. You sit in a stand for hours at a time, sometimes getting nothing. You have to be a great shooter and ultra patient. Hunting teaches patience and skill.

This world was built on hunting and gathering, get over it. You don't want to hunt, that's cool. Not everyone is up for it. But don't put down and label many people who work everyday and want to go outside and shoot a deer.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM

42 posts, read 169,534 times
I'm afraid a once beautiful city (up until the 60s) has been taken over by animals and gays. Upstanding pure white true Americans are no longer welcomed.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
I'm afraid a once beautiful city (up until the 60s) has been taken over by animals and gays. Upstanding pure white true Americans are no longer welcomed.
This message was brought to you by:
Stormfront, the Aryan brotherhood, and the association of proud Intolerants of America.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
"Upstanding pure white true Americans" and other such mythical creatures like the boogeyman and big foot do not exist and never have. They are just scary creatures people make up because they are ignorant, or are trying to blame something for their bad luck/problems.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanLover View Post
Mwahahahahahahahaaaaa......Quick, where's my KKK hood!

Are you kidding with this? Really, I hope so. When was NYC ever the exclusive province of that endangered creature known as the "Upstanding pure white true American"? Who exactly are you talking about? Peter Minuit, the Dutchman who bought Manhattan from the Indians for about 60 guilders, the Dutchmen, the Swedes, the Brits with their slaves, Italians, Irish, or what? Here's news for you -- none of them were 'upstanding and pure'. They were all scoundrels, cheaters, liars, and many were mobsters (the Irish mob, check it out). There was child labor, squalor, TB, lousy plumbing, and bad education.

NYC now is much much much better for everyone, including "animals and gays". And I feel totally welcome, and I'm about as lily-white as it gets. I'm almost translucent I am so white (Swedish/Irish heritage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City