Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:26 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,598,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I am getting some feedback from posters saying that I am wrong and old fashioned for wanting to live in a place with a majority white and American born population. They are saying that NYC is the way all cities in the world should be and the perfect place is exactly like NYC where people speak hundreds of languages, hold on to their native cultures, and reject the melting pot theory and embrace multiculturalism. Places like NYC are what America should be like and places like Pittsburgh are old and out of date.
And?

Something that comes up often in each of the state forums is this: do your homework before you move.

This might surprise you, but, some large number of those millions of people are NYC natives whose families have been in that area for many generations. That means that they are "regular folk."
May not be what you are used to or comfortable with, but, they are not 'irregular.'

If I were you, I'd look into the possibility of a job transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,353,042 times
you should have stayed down south with the redneck rebels,
since they are so regular to you.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,772,637 times
^^agreed!^^

Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,941,754 times
Your country ass needs to MAN UP

Old 09-12-2012, 08:45 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,483,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Then send a PM
Not interested. No time. I barely have time for this thread. I suggest that you do some reading: I already made suggestions: Humane Society of the United States, The Fund for Animals, and the zillion animal protection and anti-hunting groups.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 PM

75 posts, read 106,837 times
Actually the town I grew up in, Athens GA, is quite a progressive town with some diversity and a large number of college educated folks. It is the home of the University of Georgia and a nice town. But it is not New York City with is harsh and diversity on overdrive.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,862 times
Have lived in brooklyn whole life. I actually love to fish hunt and camp. I also hate this city with a passion but for now have to live here. I suggest make what money you can and find a way out of this jungle as soon as you can. Thats what I'm doing.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM

471 posts, read 1,824,773 times
@ regular folk, my extended family has lived in NYC most of their life and they go fishing and camping and do all those other "country" things you miss in upstate New York on weekends. Maybe moving to CT is better for you? Try a meet-up so you can meet folks that do the same things as you and maybe it will be more bearable...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,268,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I am the 1950s definition of the typical American. 4th Generation in the country, English as a first and only language, white, Northern European background, like hunting, fishing, camping, NASCAR, bowling and golfing. Low key, laid back, traditional values, religious and wholesome.

Unlike many NY'ers I am not rude, a con man, multi cultural, in your face, full of bravo or always trying to score a deal. I am regular folks!
1) You put "rude", "con man", and "multi cultural" in the same sentence. One of those things is not like the others; I wonder which one it is.

2) "English as a first and only language"? I wouldn't say that's something to be particularly proud of. Most New Yorkers can speak English, even if that's not their first language. Also, don't turn down other languages without even trying; learning a language can be a very rewarding experience. If you learn Mandarin for example, that will allow you to communicate with a billion people with whom you wouldn't be able to communicate before! That's amazing.

3) Kissena Park in Flushing has a golf course I know, you should check it out and see if it's your fit. There are also many bowling alleys around, you're just a Google search away from finding one. Also, despite the fact that camping isn't common in NYC itself, many people enjoy camping, and if you ask around and create acquaintances, you'll be able to find a camping group for the summer.

4) Also, no offense, but you seem a bit close-minded. There is more to life than just staying within your own race and comfort zone. I'm Polish and Russian, yet I open my mind to other cultures too. Some of my closest friends and best people I know are black, Dominican, Ecuadorian, Puerto Rican, German, Chinese and Italian. Open your mind a bit, and you'll see that there are lots of great people you haven't discovered yet. If you go everywhere with the worst expectations in mind, NYC will not be a good place to live.

Cheers

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM

281 posts, read 747,892 times
I travel often to NYC and laughed and laughed at the orginal poster's impression of the city. It is a GREAT place to visit but a hard place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City