Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM

18,942 posts, read 13,833,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Once again like I stated previously, that is not how it works smh
22 years old and you know how it works for everyone? You have a lot to learn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,246,824 times
Rakim said it best..."it ain't where you're from, it's where you at"!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,365,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
22 years old and you know how it works for everyone? You have a lot to learn...
in this subject yes. You keep talking about people who moved down their and brag about their birthplace. NEWSFLASH most of them moved down their because they were forced to by their parents. Which is why the new york pride comes with them.

Now their parents who are grown adults dont go down their bragging about new york. For the most part their pretty quite about it unless someone ask(the neighbors im guessing).

So the question of people bragging about a place they dont live no more is not the question at all.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,984,060 times
Truth is this you cant take the New York out of a New Yorker.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,375,055 times
^ no doubt, son.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:43 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,895,146 times
People who brag about stuff they have no control of such as; birthplace, skin pigmentation, height, etc arent very smart to begin with.
Their loud-mouthness is just confirmation of a low IQ.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM

18,942 posts, read 13,833,623 times
Quote:
in this subject yes. You keep talking about people who moved down their and brag about their birthplace. NEWSFLASH most of them moved down their because they were forced to by their parents. Which is why the new york pride comes with them.
I'm not referring to children. Maybe it's your age. I really don't care about teenagers or young adults who can't get off their parents' teat. I supposed you're concerned with that aspect, I'm not and was never speaking in regards to them. This thread didn't come across as being about children as far as I saw.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:20 PM

3,943 posts, read 5,054,851 times
My vote is that many New Yorkers I've met out of town never developed a sense of identity for themselves outside of being from the city of New York.

Kinda lame, because knowing bus schedules and the MTA subway map doesn't really do you much in the rest of the country.
Some know they just want to go back, and then you have some who were just so fed up with it- but it's home so they idealize it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM

520 posts, read 842,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Are they worse than TEXANS?
Oh man! I remember being at a resort in Mexico, it was one of those large ones with different price tiers. First we were at the more affordable side of the resort, full of Europeans, Latinos, New Yorkers and Canadians. Then we got bumped up to the top tier for certain reasons, and man it was different! It happened to be some kind of Texas influx there. Most of the guests were walking around with their gigantic plastic mugs so that they don't have to go to the bar every couple of minutes to get a new drink, and they would just float like wales in the ocean or the pools, sporting their lobster red tans, handlebar mustache and nascar rainbow glasses. In restaurants they were overwhelmingly loud and obnoxious, going to the french restaurant to sit with their gigantic families and feast on french fries and burgers. Europeans looked so uncomfortable and had a permanent look of disdain towards some of the guests. We were embarrassed to even tell people that we're from the US, and most workers just kept assuming that we're from Italy, because we didn't have the lovely mannerisms of the Texans. I can tell you that Mexicans don't generally have a very good opinion of Americans in general, based on their constant interaction with them at various resorts. They find them stupid, loud and obnoxious, but their eyes always light up when they hear you're from NYC. I don't think I've heard people from other countries complain about New Yorkers, but they do complain about the people from the South.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times
Quote:
Well I'm not defending it. I'm a open minded person and I usually make the best of where I am but I'm just telling you the real scenario of the new Yorkers who are down there.

Especially the younger ones who probably shed tears when their parents said their moving to ga , va etc.

It wasn't their choice so the NYC pride still stays with them.
My parents left The Bronx when their neighborhood started going to heck (think Fort Apache.) I'm on LI (where my parents had relocated to from The Bronx) and they've since been driven south by the ridiculous property taxes here.

They have their crew of transplanted NYC folk down there, but I think since they're all older retirees, they aren't rocking Yankee caps and sporting a NY-in-yo-face attitude. They still have their NYC pride -- can take the peeps outta The City, can't take The City out of the peeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City