Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM

27 posts, read 73,888 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to move to NYC for a few years. I've traveled there many times and really want the experience of living in Manhattan or Brooklyn. It's a life goal. I feel like I'll probably end up staying there, but as of now the plan is to do it for a year and then decide from there what to do.

I finally graduated college and have a low level, but OK paying job here in my hometown so the moving thing had to be postponed a bit while I save up money. I have no real expenses and no major debt besides some minor credit card stuff and a car payment, all of which i'll pay off before I go.

I'm going to try and get a transfer there through my job (fortune 500 company with it's headquarters in Manhattan) in October, once my 1 year anniversary is up, but it's unlikely. So if I don't get a transfer, I'm going to quit and move with my savings and no job. I won't even think about leaving until I have $20k in the bank and 0 debt. I'm set on finding a room-share thing through Craigslist and hoping to pay less than $1k/mo for that. I literally have barely any possessions and live in a shoebox already so that's no problem at all.

Once I get there I plan on looking for whatever work I can find and playing lots of music as that's what I spend most of my time doing here.

Am I totally dumb/crazy? Any advice would be great. Also, what areas would be best to look for rooms in? I see lots of them in Washington Heights for pretty good prices, but I'm not sure I want to live that far away from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromutah View Post

Am I totally dumb/crazy? Any advice would be great. Also, what areas would be best to look for rooms in? I see lots of them in Washington Heights for pretty good prices, but I'm not sure I want to live that far away from everything.
Nope.

It sounds like this is a life long dream of yours. So even if it doesn't work out, for awhile you'll get an opportunity to do exactly what you always wanted to do. Some people never even make it that far.

There is always the chance of failure, but if that doesn't bother you, then I say go for it.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Nope.

It sounds like this is a life long dream of yours. So even if it doesn't work out, for awhile you'll get an opportunity to do exactly what you always wanted to do. Some people never even make it that far.

There is always the chance of failure, but if that doesn't bother you, then I say go for it.
That's what I was thinking, too. If I fail miserably, I move back and can say I tried.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfromutah View Post
I've been trying to move to NYC for a few years. I've traveled there many times and really want the experience of living in Manhattan or Brooklyn. It's a life goal. I feel like I'll probably end up staying there, but as of now the plan is to do it for a year and then decide from there what to do.

I finally graduated college and have a low level, but OK paying job here in my hometown so the moving thing had to be postponed a bit while I save up money. I have no real expenses and no major debt besides some minor credit card stuff and a car payment, all of which i'll pay off before I go.

I'm going to try and get a transfer there through my job (fortune 500 company with it's headquarters in Manhattan) in October, once my 1 year anniversary is up, but it's unlikely. So if I don't get a transfer, I'm going to quit and move with my savings and no job. I won't even think about leaving until I have $20k in the bank and 0 debt. I'm set on finding a room-share thing through Craigslist and hoping to pay less than $1k/mo for that. I literally have barely any possessions and live in a shoebox already so that's no problem at all.

Once I get there I plan on looking for whatever work I can find and playing lots of music as that's what I spend most of my time doing here.

Have you checked into Brooklyn neighborhoods like Prospect Heights and Clinton Hill?

Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I say go for it! 20K with a plan? I think things would work themselves out. There's always the chance of failure, but you just got to go for it. I think you are in a good position to do so.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Have you checked into Brooklyn neighborhoods like Prospect Heights and Clinton Hill?
A little bit. I could live in either, I think.

Do I have any chance of getting a place to live without a current paycheck though?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 AM

110 posts, read 300,044 times
$20k is a reasonable amount to come here with. At the very least you can find a retail job to hold you over until something better comes along.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
$20k is a reasonable amount to come here with. At the very least you can find a retail job to hold you over until something better comes along.

Good luck.
I came here with 500$ and a guitar and I'm still standing 23 years later, so it can be done. The rice and Goya diet isn't for everyone, though.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I came here with 500$ and a guitar and I'm still standing 23 years later, so it can be done. The rice and Goya diet isn't for everyone, though.
That is awesome. I'm fine with a cheap diet for the most part. Haha

Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,528 times
yeah the tip is good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City