Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

937 posts, read 1,134,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
After moving from a bug free apartment I recently moved into a turn of the century apartment in Astoria that unfortunately has a bit of a roach problem; as do most of the apartments on the wall to wall block. Should have known better when I asked looking at the place and asked if they're were any bugs and she mentioned "sometimes" she'll see roaches in the kitchen. They're small thankfully but still very annoying to deal with.

Now I'm seeing them in my room occasionally and I'm trying to keep them out and from getting into my things, which I've worked so hard to get. I'm especially worried about my bed. Caulking any cracks and holes, which I can see, in the wall helped limit the ways they can enter but saw one this morning and think they may still be able to get in under the door or another way I haven't thought of.

What's the most effective way to keep them out of your room? Have heard conflicting info about Borax, I'm leaning towards the group that thinks it's toxic and harmful the more I read about it. I'm sure many NYer's have dealt with this and short of moving away have found a way to deal with them, somewhat. Speaking of moving if anyone knows of or has a roach free apartment for rent in a neighborhood with a reasonable commute to Midtown please let me know, I don't think it's wise to stick it out at my current place and run a greater risk of them getting into my things, plus they're frustrating and expensive to deal with. My friend is renting in a roach free building in Harlem (he's actually never seen any bugs there) so I now know they exist.
I lived in Harlem for nearly 7 years in a beautiful 1 bedroom brownstone apartment and never saw 1 roach. Interestingly, I did have an ant and spider issue during the summer months, but I certainly wouldn't have stayed in that apartment for so long, if there was a roach issue.

The funny part is, I was always cooking and I'd leave food on the counter, but I never once spotted any roaches.

You may be able to break your lease if you put enough pressure on the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,819 times
if and when you do move, make sure to burn your stuff. they like to travel with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City