Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,954,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
The city Health Department reported that more than 600 Isabellas were born last year -- fueled by Hispanic births. Esther was the No. 1 name for white baby girls, Madison for black girls and Sophia for Asian girls.
[LEFT]
There were more than 800 Jaydens born and it was the most popular name for blacks and Hispanics. Michael was tops for white boys and Ethan for Asian boys

Read more: Isabella and Jayden top baby names in NYC
[/LEFT]
Most of these names are semitic/biblical besides madison which id anglo and sophia which is Greek it means wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,125,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
What's in a name?
Do people name their kids based on ethnicity, religious beliefs, how nice it sounds? A combination of all of them?
That and family -- lots of people name their kids after family members.

Quote:
I think parents should be careful when naming their children. A bad name can not only be used to make fun of them in school but they can also be detrimental when looking for a job, among other things.
Well, you can always change your name as an adult. And aside from some obvious ones (I once knew a "Rod Johnson"), it can be hard to find a name kids can't tease another kid over.

Quote:
Sophia (Sofia) is a beautiful secular name. In the age of information its meaning is very important too.
If I had a daughter I would consider Sofia as a name, too bad its getting so popular.
Well, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox use Sophia (as in Hagia Sophia) in a religious manner. But it's hard to find a "classic" name which hasn't been used religiously.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,592,688 times
Quote:
The city Health Department reported that more than 600 Isabellas were born last year -- fueled by Hispanic births. Esther was the No. 1 name for white baby girls, Madison for black girls and Sophia for Asian girls.
[LEFT]
There were more than 800 Jaydens born and it was the most popular name for blacks and Hispanics. Michael was tops for white boys and Ethan for Asian boys

Read more: Isabella and Jayden top baby names in NYC
[/LEFT]

I know several non Hispanic families with daughters named Isabella and it has been popular at least 13 years now. While it is a pretty name, all I can think of is an old knock-knock joke:

Knock-knock
Who's there?
Isabella
Isabella who?
Isabella needed on a bicycle?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,888,788 times
Kateesha and Tyrone.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM

88,195 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
are there any significant number of non-Jewish whites who give the name esther? AFAIK its more common among jews, and much much more common among orthodox Jews. I would guess that represents both the growing share of orthodox jews among all white births in NYC, and the relatively small number of female names among the ultraorthodox/haredi population in particular.
Interesting question. I haven't heard of any non-Jewish white babies being named Esther, although I'm hardly in the age group where friends are still having babies (but friend's kids are starting to). My octogenarian mom has a friend named Esther, though. It was a more popular name back in those days when Bible names were often a regular choice for Christian babies.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think all the names are horrible.

Madison, wasn't that in the movie about the mermaid?

Isabella is just awful
That's exactly where it came from. I'm mystified that this name has gotten so popular for a girl.

This is sick, but when I hear Isabella I think of the queen (you know, the one who financed Columbus) and her famous claim that she only bathed twice in her life--once when she was born, and the other time when she got married.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
For girls I prefer the names:

Ida
Gertrude
Maude
Hester
Agatha
Edith
Prudence

And for boys I like:

Bob
Jasper
Harry
Doug
Monty
Herman
Larry
Chester
Please use birth control.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,545,190 times
Quote:
I think Isabella is a beautiful name. I also love Sofia. It's a struggle to find names that the parents like that aren't too popular or connected to something in the media (movie character/politician/destructive hurricane/etc!).

Here are the top names nationwide:
Popular Baby Names

Some similarities to NY.

Esther ranks number 236 nation-wide....
you might not like the name Isabella so much if you knew that the origins of the name may have come from the hebrew word for dung.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

This is sick, but when I hear Isabella I think of the queen (you know, the one who financed Columbus) and her famous claim that she only bathed twice in her life--once when she was born, and the other time when she got married.
I guess the name fits (in more then one way)

Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,545,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting question. I haven't heard of any non-Jewish white babies being named Esther, although I'm hardly in the age group where friends are still having babies (but friend's kids are starting to). My octogenarian mom has a friend named Esther, though. It was a more popular name back in those days when Bible names were often a regular choice for Christian babies.
if a daughter is born around Purim time many Orthodox Jews will name their kids Esther.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
if a daughter is born around Purim time many Orthodox Jews will name their kids Esther.
Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City