Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM

647 posts, read 1,523,172 times

Advertisements

Specifically in Brooklyn. It's hard to get a room easily when you're socially awkward. For some reason people think socially awkward people are serial killers and I always end up not getting a room until the very last minute. So how to I get past this hump? What are the best things to say/not say to seal the deal and get a room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM

24 posts, read 55,488 times
That's a loaded question. Some people who want roomies want someone they want to be cool with on a personal level (quasi-friends) while others just want someone who isn't a slob and who pays their fair share of rent on time and who isn't too loud.

The best roommate (In my mind) is someone who isn't around, so if you are a very active person who doesn't spend much time at home, tell them that! Tell them that you're responsible with finances and rent and such

Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Tell them you will do all the cleaning, maintenance, food shopping and cooking.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
It really depends, but in general I would NOT say:

I am a nudist
I deal drugs
My kids will be visiting me alot
As long as I stay on my medication, I am easy to get along with
I had my former landlord/roommate arrested
You don't mind if we share clothes, do you?
I am a Sadist
I am on parole
So long as you do what I say, everything should be fine
My current place has bed bugs
I just joined the KKK/Black Panthers
I see my massage clients at my home

Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Specifically in Brooklyn. It's hard to get a room easily when you're socially awkward. For some reason people think socially awkward people are serial killers and I always end up not getting a room until the very last minute. So how to I get past this hump? What are the best things to say/not say to seal the deal and get a room?
What is it about your interaction with people that you believe is awkward? You should think of these things as conversations, not interviews. It's a mistake to simply say what you think they want to hear. You want to live with people who are on the same wavelength as you in terms of cleanliness, overnight guests, noise, drug use, drinking, etc etc. If you talk about what your interests are, what time you get up for work, and what you do for a living -- in a way that you would talk to a friendly acquaintance then many of these topics should get covered without a specific question.

As for things *not* to say, that's hard. You could get rejected if you tell them you get up at 7:30 in the morning and go to bed at 11:30pm, because the other roommate likes to stay up all night watching loud TV. Then again, you wouldn't want to live with someone like that if you keep those hours. Try not to look at the floor, and smile from time to time. If you get in, be respectful but remember that you are paying rent and that doesn't mean you have to put up with someone who expects you to do all their chores because they were the first people there. Walk away from that garbage.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 19,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Bro! If you're socially awkward it is best to either:

A. live with family
B. live by yourself
C. live with friends

If you are socially awkward like you claim this will turn off the majority of the roommate seekers since they will negatively stereotype you. I am socially awkward myself and i live with my cousin for the time being. Before that i lived by myself.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM

203 posts, read 386,260 times
In many Brooklyn neighborhoods, people are picky about who they want to live with. They can be, because in these neighborhoods, 10 to 20 people will typically look at any advertised vacancy. Many of these neighborhoods attract a certain type of person, and the existing roommates will often be looking for that type of person to fill the space. All this is especially true in Williamsburg and adjacent neighborhoods.

You may find it much easier to find housing in less popular neighborhoods, such as those in Queens, the northernmost parts of Manhattan or possibly even the Bronx. Although nowadays, even those places are difficult.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 21,632 times
Dude, my advice is for you to
A. Play it as COOL as you can, yet not to the point of being fake
B. Try to look " modern " ( Roommates want to be able to relate to you in a way )
C. Don't bring up any faults or flaws that will make you look socially awkward
GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Fill out SHeldon's questionnaire answering EVERY question.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Fill out SHeldon's questionnaire answering EVERY question.
Are you referencing Big Bang Theory?

Don't forget to agree to sign the roommate contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City