Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotb16 View Post
When I lived in Fordham in the early 90s (187th and Marion), the area was mixed with Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. Most of the Dominicans lived west of the Grand Concourse. Nowadays, most Dominicans live west of Webster and they are spreading more eastward to East Tremont, Morrisania (especially around Boston Rd and Tinton Avenue), and West Farms.
Yeah. I was on Decatur ave around 194th-195th and it was heavily Puerto Rican. In fact, my friend said that Decatur from Fordham rd all the way up to 198th was Puerto Rican.

I was suprised at the high percentage of Dominicans in CD 3 and 6. So this will support your thesis on Dominican migration.

Most everything west of the Concourse has been Dominican for a while.

Washington Heights couldn't contain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah. I was on Decatur ave around 194th-195th and it was heavily Puerto Rican. In fact, my friend said that Decatur from Fordham rd all the way up to 198th was Puerto Rican.

I was suprised at the high percentage of Dominicans in CD 3 and 6. So this will support your thesis on Dominican migration.

Most everything west of the Concourse has been Dominican for a while.

Washington Heights couldn't contain them.
Not only that, but many apartment buildings in the Heights are using bullying tactics (such as higher rents and bad conditions) to get rid of Dominicans. As a result of this, and the areas near bus routes heading to the Heights are going to the Bronx. This is why Dominicans settle in areas by the Bx3, 11, 13, 35, 36, and now Bx7 so they could be close to their families in the Heights.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM

155 posts, read 380,726 times
riverdale is a very nice area, lots of irish, and lots of jews are starting to move there, they just built a jewish school on 259st. very nice area.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Yes the central Bronx is growing to be the location of last resort for many of the displaced....in particular many Dominicans.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:02 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I know this is old but, really?

It's always the people who moved to NYC from Kansas or Iowa who say stuff like that.

I would pick Hoboken, Jersey City and just about anywhere along the PATH or Hudson/Bergen line before I moved anywhere in the Bronx or Staten Island. That goes the same for about half of Brooklyn and 90% of Queens.
Actually it isnt just people who moved here from kansas, nebraska and arkansas that would say that. Im a native born new yorker and new jersey does suck. And there are good areas in the bronx just like anywhere else. And i'll take the bronx over jersey or PHILLY any day. Mod cut: rude

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-17-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times
What's with all this negativity? The fact of the matter is the Bronx is getting better all the time. Sure there are areas that still have a lot of poverty and social issues but they are still better than they were say, 5 or 10 years ago. I have lived in the Bronx my entire life in many different areas and i wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 PM

236 posts, read 389,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
My family and I are looking to move back to NYC after moving to Charlotte, NC 2 years ago. Can anyone tell me about up-and-coming Bronx neighborhoods such as Mott Haven, Morrisania, East Tremont.... basically anywhere cheap yet safe, and an easy train ride into Manhattan. We are totally fine with a gritty neighborhood and with not having lots of shopping and dining and such (as long as we can walk to a decent supermarket). Just not fine with hearing gunshots in the night or my kids playing with crack vials.

Wow, this is a scary thread. I have lived in the Bronx for all my life. I live in the Baychester/Gun Hill neighborhood and I never feel unsafe. I think that the Bronx is good and bad. There are areas in the Bronx that I do not like to frequent, but this is NYC and everywhere will not be safe. The neighborhood I live in is not the best, but not the worst. Things happen here but the occurrences are rather infrequent. If you have some common sense, and mind your business you really dont have much to worry about.

East Tremont-No
Morrisania-No
Mott Haven-No

Baychester area has a huge Jamaican population, but they do not bother you. In my opinion you have to visit the area you plan to live in day/night to really get a feel of the neighborhood. If safety is your main concern then you may want to do Westchester as opposed to the bronx, being you still think that you are going to find crack viles on the floor (lol to that one). The police in the bronx are very racist so be prepared for that.

Wakefield-Ok
Pelham-Good
Throgs Neck-No
If you stay on the east side or the north side you will be okay, as long as you stay away from the projects.

With any city you have your good and your bad, the bronx is very diverse and if you do you research you will be fine.

As far as up and coming, not the bronx. This place rarely changes and I cannot help but wonder if you left NYC to go to NC why are you coming back. You know what it looks like and you know what it is. My best advice is for you stay where you are.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
The Bronx isn't all that terrible, but it'll be a long time before it gets up-and-coming neighborhoods the way that Brooklyn did. The South Bronx might be close to Manhattan, but it's not close to the parts of Manhattan that can spur things along. East Harlem will probably have to undergo more significant revitalization before things can really take off.

The other course would be for the Bronx to actually create a powerful hub of its own through either its own central business district or through an institution large enough to act as one. The only real possible entity for doing this, in my opinion, is Fordham University. Unfortunately, Fordham is directing the lion's share of its expansion towards its Midtown/UWS campus. Anyone want to do a letter-writing campaign?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverdaleny View Post
riverdale is a very nice area, lots of irish, and lots of jews are starting to move there, they just built a jewish school on 259st. very nice area.
I believe Riverdale has been predominantly Jewish for a very long time...only place near me where I could hope to find a synagogue should I choose to go to one.

That's one reason why the would be homegrown terrorists tried to do their deeds in that hood.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
There are and will be major expansion projects, like the old Bx Terminal Market and a number of other developments. The South Bronx has cultural hubs like the Bronx Museum, some cafes, a antique district etc. The area near the Bruckner Expressway has the Bruckner Bar and Grill and some other spots...

I visited Riverdale and it is indeed gorgeous and very developed but not in a overly commercial way; kind of Manhattan esque but with nothing but parkland, mansions, prewar apts, etc. Lots of restaurants, pubs, etc.

I think the Fordham/Kingsbridge area is expanding slowly but surely; the state of the art Kingsbridge Library Center, Lehman College, upcoming Kingsbridge Armory mall, etc.

And of course the old perennials: Little Italy, Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens

There's a Bronx Culture Trolley that does a monthly culture run through various sites in the Bronx including art galleries, cafes, museums, etc.

I agree with the posters who say that the Bronx has many good things....I've had some hassles but I love it here. Seems much more like the "old" NY to me. But if you don't like the bustling city scene or diversity for real or people of color, some areas of the Bx would not suit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City