U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 12,746 times

Advertisements

im thinking of moving to greenpoint next year in january.. anything i shoud know about it? and why does everyone dislike the G train so much. what would the commute be like to the LES because i plan on going out a lot in that area. also i would be studying in new york city community college how long is the commute to school? is it even worth moving to greenpoint if the commute is too far? and the price range im working with is around $1500-1600 and i heard i can a decent place for that possibly even a 1 bedroom instead of a studio any thoughts on that as well would really help thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,512,714 times

Where do you live now?

Will you be working to pay your rent or otherwise where is your budget coming from?

To answer your overall questions (and by the way, you should simply visit the area and see what it's like yourself) Greenpoint is a safe, nice neighborhood north of Williamsburg, that has a combination of both "hip" evolving areas such as around McCarren park as well as some quiet, older, reserved residential areas (closer to McGolrick Park). The G train does not have the best reputation, but people make do.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

4,841 posts, read 8,236,264 times
It's a very nice area, but has gotten very expensive over the past few years. I don't even know if you can find something in that price range.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

56 posts, read 110,882 times
I iive in Greenpoint, and have watched its transition from diverse working-class neighborhood to potential Williamsburg clone. There is still a very pronounced Polish presence, and in my end (north of Greenpoint Avenue) a substantial latino population as well. It is safe, and relatively quiet, though I am not within earshot of the bars lining Franklin Street.

The G train has gotten more reliable, it just suffers from the fact that it is the only train in the system that does not enter Manhattan. Depending on connections, a trip from Greenpoint to Union Square should take about a half-hour. The East River ferry is a godsend.

You might be able to find a rental in the $1500-$1600 range, but I wouldn't count on it. Most apartments are 4-room railroad flats in eight-unit tenement buildings, and I suspect they are going for a lot more than that. I have no idea what the apartments in all of the newly-constructed buildings are going for.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Im coming from the bay area in california, and yes ill be working to pay my rent and my girlfriend is coming w me so 2 incomes in the house. and really $1600 is too low to find something in greenpoint? i thought i would be able to find a decent place in that price range.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 AM

how much would i be paying for a 1 bedrrom in greenpoint? and i dont need anything fancy

Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM

188 posts, read 222,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy77 View Post
how much would i be paying for a 1 bedrrom in greenpoint? and i dont need anything fancy

around $100 billion

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanese View Post
around $100 billion
hahaha...

Old 08-31-2012, 12:02 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,512,714 times
And how did you pick Greenpoint being obviously unfamiliar with the neighborhood and coming from California? Just wondering since it's one of many, many neighborhoods and options.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,190,551 times
An apartment in that price range is possible, but will take some hard looking and some luck.

The commute from Greenpoint to any place in lower Manhattan is extremely inconvenient. Also the cheaper apartments are far from the train. Living far from the G train is a dispiriting prospect, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City